Worth The Money Fixing? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Worth The Money Fixing?

In a few months my truck and camper will be paid off and we will finish off the rest of the few credit cards we have left and save up. Now we're not planning on buying a new car for at least a year and the 98 Toyota Camry is running great but 1 issue. The car rides nice and it's not too bad, but the suspension isn't the best and I bottom out in areas a car with better suspension wouldn't have an issue. I found out it will be $1500.00 to fix everything (new struts, springs, etc.) and would fix this issue. This car is 11 years old, has over 170,000 miles on it, runs excellent, only burns about a less than quart every 3000 miles, and I like this car. So is it worth putting in $1500.00 to fix this? I know I will never see this money again when I sell it or trade it in. I plan on keeping this car for another 1-2 years also, so what do you guys think?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!

Last edited by Jimbo; 05-03-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

if its in great shape why not? unless of course you like the bumpy ride then dont do it

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
depends on how long you plan on keeping it. or just slow down over bumps. remember some people pay for the low rider look

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 PM

We are in the EXACT same situation but with an earlier model Camry. We have a 1994 Toyota Camry SE that has 230k on it, absolutely nothing wrong with it, drips a little oil etc.. but, the suspension on it is shot and likewise it's $1400 to repair. We're definently not going to fix it, we're just going to drive it till the wheels fall off on it. I wouldn't fix it, if it just bottoms out then not a big deal right? The suspension is shot on it but it still rides good. The suspension needs a "tune-up" on my daily driven 1995 Sonoma but I'm not going to fix it because the truck itself it worth about 2k so no reason to drop a bunch of $ in it just for an added luxury. I can handle harsh bumps etc..

-Eric
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
In a few months my truck and camper will be paid off and we will finish off the rest of the few credit cards we have left and save up. Now we're not planning on buying a new car for at least a year and the 98 Toyota Camry is running great but 1 issue. The car rides nice and it's not too bad, but the suspension isn't the best and I bottom out in areas a car with better suspension wouldn't have an issue. I found out it will be $1500.00 to fix everything (new struts, springs, etc.) and would fix this issue. This car is 11 years old, has over 170,000 miles on it, runs excellent, only burns about a less than quart every 3000 miles, and I like this car. So is it worth putting in $1500.00 to fix this? I know I will never see this money again when I sell it or trade it in. I plan on keeping this car for another 1-2 years also, so what do you guys think?
Give ya $300 for it.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
Give ya $300 for it.
Whoever said I wanted to let it go?

-Eric
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
depends on how long you plan on keeping it. or just slow down over bumps. remember some people pay for the low rider look
1-2 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caparzo12 View Post
We are in the EXACT same situation but with an earlier model Camry. We have a 1994 Toyota Camry SE that has 230k on it, absolutely nothing wrong with it, drips a little oil etc.. but, the suspension on it is shot and likewise it's $1400 to repair. We're definently not going to fix it, we're just going to drive it till the wheels fall off on it. I wouldn't fix it, if it just bottoms out then not a big deal right? The suspension is shot on it but it still rides good. The suspension needs a "tune-up" on my daily driven 1995 Sonoma but I'm not going to fix it because the truck itself it worth about 2k so no reason to drop a bunch of $ in it just for an added luxury. I can handle harsh bumps etc..

-Eric
I see your point, but when I have adults in the back I can feel it. Is there a safety issue also?
It also seems getting worse, before I can enter the parking garage w/o a problem but now I scrap and bottom out. I probably won't dump the money into this, but I want to see what others think. Thanks for your input.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

A guy at my work has a camery with 200k+ miles. He spent about 2k on tires, suspention, tune up, and a cat. convertor (rebuilt). He picked me up on the way to work last month, it felt like a new car. Unless you can take advantage of 0% financing or something, I say keep the car and put the cash into it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 PM

I blew the cat converter out on that 1994 Camry a number of years back taking it off-roading. No lie. High school days and my sisters then "newer" car. Powerslides around country corners at 45mph while hitting the E-brake..and it's still alive. That's a testament to Camry's durability.

I had to come back to this to share the story. My highschool buddies and I were cruising around in said Camry when I first got my license. Obiously, I'm driving this thing like a bat out of hell. I get dared to take it back behind the industry buildings..It's all gravel/dirt/mud/water constantly. So, being the smart kid that I was..I take it directly behind there. There was one strip that was a dirt road that had VERY deep ruts in truck tracks and those were filled with water. The whole thing is about 50 yds long. I start at the beginning, stop, rev the motor, like I'm on a drag strip or something. I hammer down the pedal, the 4cyl is screaming it's heart out..I hit these ruts/puddle at about 30mph. BOOM, huge splash of water/mud, I can't see anything because whole windshield is covered with mud/shit. The car dies WHILE moving, all electrical goes out, THEN comes back on in a split second. I made it through with minimal damage. I get back on the road, and it sounds LOUD as hell, I mean this thing sounds like it has no exhaust PLUS now it won't go over 20mph. I'm thinking, fuck me, I just totaled my sisters car while being a complete idiot. We pull into a parking lot, there is water all in the intake box, the car won't start, none of the electrical is coming on etc.. We wait 20 minutes with our thumbs up our asses. It starts up, drives fine now, doesn't do anything except the cat is blown out and it sounds like a vehicle with a blown cat should. I go home, tell the parentals that I hit a big puddle driving on the road and the cat was blown out. To my credit, it was storming like crazy so it made sense at the time..Carry on..no more hijacking from me.

-Eric

Last edited by Caparzo12; 05-03-2009 at 10:32 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Sportbike: Monster s2r, GSX-R 600
Years Riding: on & off many years
How you found us: 600RR

Camry is the best, fix it and keep it for another 10 years and I bet you it will still run strong.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

I say fix it and keep it... unless you are looking for ane excuse to get a newer car. If that's the case, sounds like a good excuse to me.

-Mike
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

do the work yourself and save a bunch of $$$$ , rear shocks are easy and not too expensive, the front struts are a bit of a job though,, you dont need new springs, buy good shocks, dont waste your money on cheap shocks , get KYB's , bad shocks let your wheels bounce around and your braking and cornering control will suffer, could be a saftey issue
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull76 View Post
I say fix it and keep it... unless you are looking for ane excuse to get a newer car. If that's the case, sounds like a good excuse to me.
I love the car and we're not planning on getting a new one for at least a year. With the truck being paid off it's a great time to save and get other bills paid off. This car won't turn girls heads, but it runs like a dream.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

If you're gonna keep it at least for another year, that sounds like a reasonable investment.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Silver/Black Busa
Years Riding: 5 year
How you found us: Member

This thread is why noone's buying new cars!!

Hahahahaha!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode