Emg - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Emg

I've had some tingling/numbness in my right arm. I went to the neuro today and I have to have an EMG on friday. Anyone ever have this done? Did it hurt? How long before you had results? I'm also going for an MRI and CT scan next week. They are checking for compressed nerves, or disk problems. Fun Fun Fun.

I don't ride, I cook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
They just hook up a couple wires to wherever they are evaluating the problem, so in this case, your back and maybe a couple on your head. Very non-invasive. By wires, I mean those little sticky things.

Good luck and I hope they can fix you!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

Yell and scream about the pain, reguardless of weather it hurts or not. Your paying for the right to yell and scream so you might as well get your moneys worth.

Hope it works out for the better.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrly View Post
Yell and scream about the pain, reguardless of weather it hurts or not. Your paying for the right to yell and scream so you might as well get your moneys worth.

Hope it works out for the better.
and please have someone nearby with a video camera!

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

LOL thanks guys. It will be my arm and back. She mentioned needles, and some electrical testing. Sounds more like S&M than testing to me. Well friday is the day either way. I'm not worried about the test but the results scare me a bit. I've had the pins and needle feeling for like 9 days straight. Blah!

I don't ride, I cook!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

NCV (nerve conduction velocity) testing is non-invasive and doesn't hurt. Just mild electric shocks if anything.

Needle EMG testing (more common with suspected neuropathy) hurts like a monkey depending on the practitioner and your particular threshold for pain. They stick a needle into your muscle, and move it around to monitor who knows what. It's not bad...until they find "just the right spot" then it's not very pleasant.

A skilled tester (best if it's done by the Neuro themselves) will be able to give you results real-time.

Have fun.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
They just hook up a couple wires to wherever they are evaluating the problem, so in this case, your back and maybe a couple on your head. Very non-invasive. By wires, I mean those little sticky things.

Good luck and I hope they can fix you!
I'm pretty sure this is the one where they take the needle and shock the nerves in your arm from your wrist up to your shoulder. I haven't heard very many good things about this test.

Anyways, have fun!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

thanks guys....crap now I'm worried about the test and the results.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Dont worry about it, your a tattoo'd badass robo girl right?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
NCV (nerve conduction velocity) testing is non-invasive and doesn't hurt. Just mild electric shocks if anything.

Needle EMG testing (more common with suspected neuropathy) hurts like a monkey depending on the practitioner and your particular threshold for pain. They stick a needle into your muscle, and move it around to monitor who knows what. It's not bad...until they find "just the right spot" then it's not very pleasant.

A skilled tester (best if it's done by the Neuro themselves) will be able to give you results real-time.

Have fun.
At least I'm not the only one who's been through this. Although, I've had to endure it twice. Once for carpal tunnel evaluation, and once after returning from Iraq.

It's all good UNTIL they start with the needle. They're "listening" to the nerve, so they have to get the needle close and then have you flex with the needle near the nerve. Fun Stuff!

I'll take a tattoo needle any day

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?

FWIW - this type of testing is rarely justified (and often over-used)

If the Neuro isn't going to personally administer the test - I would get a second opinion. I used to work for a company that sold these types of tests to Doctors. The company is now very much out of business, and the owners are now very much in pound me in the arse prison. Insurance fraud can be a real bitch.

Your insurance company shouldn't care either way, but make sure you're getting what you pay for - and I would review the billing practices for the testing up front, including your obligation. They are now enforcing the law that states you must pay the balance in full...no matter what.

As with all things medical - get the pre-qual in writing.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Mmmmmm....

Sportbike: RIP Rsux
Years Riding: .

Send a message via AIM to Pinkrider
Mandy I just had this done last week (both kinds at different times) and the needle version won't hurt all that much. If you can handle tattoos and piercings then you should be fine. I found it to be more uncomfortable than anything.

Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard wrapped in tin foil.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
FWIW - this type of testing is rarely justified (and often over-used)

If the Neuro isn't going to personally administer the test - I would get a second opinion. I used to work for a company that sold these types of tests to Doctors. The company is now very much out of business, and the owners are now very much in pound me in the arse prison. Insurance fraud can be a real bitch.

Your insurance company shouldn't care either way, but make sure you're getting what you pay for - and I would review the billing practices for the testing up front, including your obligation. They are now enforcing the law that states you must pay the balance in full...no matter what.

As with all things medical - get the pre-qual in writing.

The neuro is doing it. I don't need pre-qual for testing. I will get something before doing the MRI and CT scan. The hospital won't let me schedual until they have something from the insurance.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

In short

During EMG, small pins or needles are inserted into muscles to measure electrical activity. The needles are different than needles used for injection of medications. They are small and solid, not hollow like hypodermic needles. Because no medication is injected, discomfort is much less than with shots.

* You will be asked to contract your muscles by moving a small amount during the testing.

* With nerve conduction studies, small electrodes will be taped to your skin or placed around your fingers. You typically will experience a mild and brief tingling or shock, which may be a bit unpleasant.

* The person who administers the test will explain the procedure. Often muscle activity is monitored through a speaker during the test, which may make a popping or soft roaring noise. The EMG technician will be looking at an oscilloscope, which looks like a small TV set during the procedure.

* Testing may take 30-60 minutes.

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
In short

During EMG, small pins or needles are inserted into muscles to measure electrical activity. The needles are different than needles used for injection of medications. They are small and solid, not hollow like hypodermic needles. Because no medication is injected, discomfort is much less than with shots.

* You will be asked to contract your muscles by moving a small amount during the testing.

* With nerve conduction studies, small electrodes will be taped to your skin or placed around your fingers. You typically will experience a mild and brief tingling or shock, which may be a bit unpleasant.

* The person who administers the test will explain the procedure. Often muscle activity is monitored through a speaker during the test, which may make a popping or soft roaring noise. The EMG technician will be looking at an oscilloscope, which looks like a small TV set during the procedure.

* Testing may take 30-60 minutes.
thanks, that doesn't sound so bad. They told me to plan to be there about an hour. Testing will take about 45 mins.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:

Have fun.
my dad had a finger cut off between a 4' concrete culvert pipe and the bucket of a backhoe. He put his hand under his armpit and said "we need to go to the hospital."

When he was 11 years old he broke his upper arm clean throwing a baseball.

He said the needle EMG testing they did before his back surgery was the worst pain he's felt in his entire life.

good luck.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
LOL thanks guys. It will be my arm and back. She mentioned needles, and some electrical testing. Sounds more like S&M than testing to me. Well friday is the day either way. I'm not worried about the test but the results scare me a bit. I've had the pins and needle feeling for like 9 days straight. Blah!
Just remember, the more you fight, the harder the spank.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrly View Post
Just remember, the more you fight, the harder the spank.
thanks buddy that makes me feel better. I will think of you everytime I wince in pain.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .

Mandy:
Just had this done 2 weeks ago. The spine and hand/wrist part are the most sensitive, it's not pleasant but not that bad, and you'll have lil polka dot holes for a bit where the needles went in. What hurt the most for me was when they dug for the nerves. However, the injections with/for contrast before the MRI and x-rays hurt worse than the EMG.

I went to BB Hosp for all mine, I recommend if it's on your insurance. Clean, new and everyone is very nice.

I hope everything works out well for you.

The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character

Looking for a German Shepherd? PM me

Last edited by redhdgrl; 05-12-2009 at 09:13 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhdgrl View Post
Mandy:
Just had this done 2 weeks ago. The spine and hand/wrist part are the most sensitive, it's not pleasant but not that bad, and you'll have lil polka dot holes for a bit where the needles went in. What hurt the most for me was when they dug for the nerves. However, the injections with/for contrast before the MRI and x-rays hurt worse than the EMG.

I went to BB Hosp for all mine, I recommend if it's on your insurance. Clean, new and everyone is very nice.

I hope everything works out well for you.
It's funny I live less than 10 mins away from bb hospital and refuse to go there. I took Abi there with a rash all the way down her spine, they diagnosed chicken pox and sent us home to do oatmeal baths. 8 days later she was still broken out. I took her to the peds, and was told it was a rash from anxiety. (she suffers from panic attacks) Mt doctor said that the rash looked nothing like chicken pox, and that the doctor at bb hospital needed to go back to med school. I called and spoke to the head of the ER and they said they would speak to him about it. I got a call back a week later saying that he stood beside his chicken pox diag. Well if that's the case Abi should be in the record books cuz her pox lasted almost 6 months. I go to St. Joes or Silver cross for everything. Silver Cross is an awesome hospital, and St. Joes is very good too.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Quote:
It's not bad...until they find "just the right spot" then it's not very pleasant.
Same in my case. I was thinking "this isn't bad" til they got to my elbow. I jumped and the guy doing the test grinned and said "bingo".

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
Hope it goes well babe. What's been leading up to all this?

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
Hope it goes well babe. What's been leading up to all this?
Numbness and tingling in my right arm. I have a baseline MRI that they are going to do a comparison study with the new one. I was told last June that it is most likely MS, but in the very early stages. I have several small lesions on the brain. The neurologist is keeping an eye on them. I have some symptoms, the tingling, the headaches are the biggest issues. I'm a pretty upbeat person, and I'm not letting it get me down. I'm too tough for that

I don't ride, I cook!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode