Bio-Terror... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Bio-Terror...

This is some pretty freaky stuff. I'm watching it on History Channel right now. Small Pox, Ebola, Spanish Flu..I couldn't imagine if the world became infected with these viruses. I suppose guns would definently come in handy then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Some experts are saying that the human race is due for another epidemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
guns and a good dog.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
guns and a good dog.

Check and working on the second one now.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Sportbike: 07 ZX6R ss trim 08 zx6r stock
Years Riding: long enough to know i only need a 600
How you found us: chitownracing

scary shit. I had it on in the background and just heard this. "we can now take and genetic trait from any plant, animal, or living being and give it to any other living being." "this allows us to activate a gene in fish that create anti-freeze, that trait can now be given to tomatoes so they won't freeze in the winter" "we are at the point where plants and animals can be mated in a lab"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil skinny View Post
scary shit. I had it on in the background and just heard this. "we can now take and genetic trait from any plant, animal, or living being and give it to any other living being." "this allows us to activate a gene in fish that create anti-freeze, that trait can now be given to tomatoes so they won't freeze in the winter" "we are at the point where plants and animals can be mated in a lab"
Mary Shelley saw this coming along time ago

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

They were talking about how it was voted for a few years ago that the small pox virus be destroyed completely, but it was overruled because even though there are only TWO spots in the world that have it, one here in the United States, and one in Siberia. Due to the large amount of small box created by the Soviety Union, they don't know if someone has it or not so they don't want to destroy it(study it for vaccine etc.).

-Eric
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
There's a lot of scary shit out there that could destroy the human race. F*ck the experts and their predictions. We are also overdue for a major earthquake, a super volcano, and aren't we supposed to get hit by an asteroid already? Didn't the experts say we were going to all die in a nuclear holocaust? Oh, and all the world would shut down for Y2K, didn't it? Amazingly enough we're all still here.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
There's a lot of scary shit out there that could destroy the human race. F*ck the experts and their predictions. We are also overdue for a major earthquake, a super volcano, and aren't we supposed to get hit by an asteroid already? Didn't the experts say we were going to all die in a nuclear holocaust? Oh, and all the world would shut down for Y2K, didn't it? Amazingly enough we're all still here.
You better go knock on wood right now!

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Nostradamus says 2012 is the year...

-Eric
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caparzo12 View Post
Nostradamus says 2012 is the year...

-Eric
Everyone says 2012 is the year.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:23 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
You better go knock on wood right now!
I only see plastic and formica!!! Is paper close enough?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Good ole Plum Island...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

While bio weapons are indeed scary, there is always a problem with initial spreading and then with containment. It is hard to infect lots of people real quick, even if the agent is highly contagious. Containment is a whole other problem - so you managed to infect your enemy, how the heck are you gonna protect your own population from that same thing? While there are ways to do it, good ole' thermonuclear device is going to be much more effective. Or even a regular cover bombing. The worst massacres in history were not Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but the bombing of Dresden and other major cities during WWII.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
While bio weapons are indeed scary, there is always a problem with initial spreading and then with containment. It is hard to infect lots of people real quick, even if the agent is highly contagious. Containment is a whole other problem - so you managed to infect your enemy, how the heck are you gonna protect your own population from that same thing? While there are ways to do it, good ole' thermonuclear device is going to be much more effective. Or even a regular cover bombing. The worst massacres in history were not Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but the bombing of Dresden and other major cities during WWII.
I'm sorry. You're wrong. Have you seen the casualty rates for the Plague back in the day, Spanish flu(1918), Small pox outbreak..it only beats out all of our wars combined by about 1 billion people. Small pox is so contagious that the history channel went over worst case scenario. 25 people infect themselves and start going to international airports,trains,buses etc.. they predicted within 3-4 months something like 25-50 million people would be infected. You think terrorists give a damn about their own population?
Also, during the cold war, Soviet Union scientists claimed that had a warhead that could be filled up to 4 1/2 lbs of Small Pox virus that could be launched and exploded over New York City, infecting up to 50% of the population....4 1/2 pounds....
Ebola's casualty rates are anywhere from 50-90%...

-Eric

Last edited by Caparzo12; 05-20-2009 at 03:26 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caparzo12 View Post
I'm sorry. You're wrong. Have you seen the casualty rates for the Plague back in the day, Spanish flu(1918), Small pox outbreak..it only beats out all of our wars combined by about 1 billion people. Small pox is so contagious that the history channel went over worst case scenario. 25 people infect themselves and start going to international airports,trains,buses etc.. they predicted within 3-4 months something like 25-50 million people would be infected. You think terrorists give a damn about their own population?
Also, during the cold war, Soviet Union scientists claimed that had a warhead that could be filled up to 4 1/2 lbs of Small Pox virus that could be launched and exploded over New York City, infecting up to 50% of the population....4 1/2 pounds....
Ebola's casualty rates are anywhere from 50-90%...

-Eric
The key words are "back in the day", when general population had no idea about contagious diseases/viruses etc. Today it is all reasonably easy to contain. All of those bullshit estimates are based on the life going on normally. Then, yes, technically you can set something up in a very public place and contaminate a lot of people. But in the real life quarantines and other containment measures will be used. So this is not as easy.

4 1/2lbs - yeah, how exactly are you going to disperse it evenly over that whole area and get so many people to breathe it in? Also - no wind, no rain, right? I call bullshit. While bio weapons are very scary, indeed, and can kill a lot of people, this is mostly the media-induced hysteria. Just as chemical weapons, they are difficult to use.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode