1 Day Beginner Riding schools - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
1 Day Beginner Riding schools

I have a friend who is learning to ride, I've pushed the MSF Course and Ride Chicago but he has a problem. With his work schedule, he only has one day off per week and cannot take the time off work to make the courses. He already bought a HD FatBoy and is seriously going to kill himself on the thing unless he gets some professional instruction. I've given him the basics but he really needs professional help learning to ride safely. If anyone knows of a one day course (or even one day per week for a number of weeks), please let me know so I can pass it along to him. Private instruction is fine, you have a small cheap bike you don't mind him learning on and want to make some $$, hit me up. Thanks in advance.



Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
The Benchwarmer
 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,580
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong
           
ody does these for $10

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
Village Idiot is offline  
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
ody does these for $10
Problem is that the guy needs a bike to learn on, the FatBoy is just too much for him.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right
 
stkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 3,755
Location: Kenosha, WI
Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA
           
Have you/him tried contacting the MSF directly to ask about private instruction? They might have some instructors that are will to accomodate his needs, or they might be able to do the one day per weekend thing. If they're only carrying over one student, then I don't see why it would be that hard for them. People that pass the written, but fail the practical only have to come back and re-take the practical, so there should be a way to do this.

He could always bring the Fat Boy out and do a track day.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
stkr is offline  
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered User
 
redhdgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Under the Palm Trees, toes in the sand
Posts: 1,375
Location: Under the Palm Trees, toes in the sand
Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .
           
Maybe someone has a rebel to loan? Savage? Shadow?

Contact the boys at ICS in West Chicago, talk to Troyce the owner and see if he can help.

The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character

Looking for a German Shepherd? PM me
redhdgrl is offline  
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Fat guy on a sport bike
 
Pocket Rockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 3,444
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com
           
MSF has an itermediate course that is 1 day on a Saturday. If your friend understands how a bike works, can work a clutch, and has at least a permit he should be fine for that.
Pocket Rockets is offline  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 AM

 
gkotlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 4,565
Location: NW Burbs
Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!
           
Look at the evening classes. The MSF used to have courses that are nights. It's like 6-10 or something for 4 or 5 nights.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
gkotlin is offline  
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Midnight Rider
 
PatFitz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North side
Posts: 3,885
Location: North side
Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net
           
Take the class at HD. I think Wildfire in Villa Park has em.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
PatFitz9 is offline  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr View Post
Have you/him tried contacting the MSF directly to ask about private instruction? They might have some instructors that are will to accomodate his needs, or they might be able to do the one day per weekend thing. If they're only carrying over one student, then I don't see why it would be that hard for them. People that pass the written, but fail the practical only have to come back and re-take the practical, so there should be a way to do this.

He could always bring the Fat Boy out and do a track day.
I'll check on this, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhdgrl View Post
Maybe someone has a rebel to loan? Savage? Shadow?

Contact the boys at ICS in West Chicago, talk to Troyce the owner and see if he can help.
What is ICS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
MSF has an itermediate course that is 1 day on a Saturday. If your friend understands how a bike works, can work a clutch, and has at least a permit he should be fine for that.
I've never seen a person more confused about how to operate a motorcycle, I have tried working with him for weeks and he still have absolutely no fucking clue on how to operate a clutch. This is the reason I want to try professional help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
Look at the evening classes. The MSF used to have courses that are nights. It's like 6-10 or something for 4 or 5 nights.
He works retail and is on until 8pm most nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
Take the class at HD. I think Wildfire in Villa Park has em.
Is it a one day class or an all week/weekend thing?

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm a non-achiever.
 
shaugdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Naperville
Posts: 2,929
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
I've never seen a person more confused about how to operate a motorcycle, I have tried working with him for weeks and he still have absolutely no fucking clue on how to operate a clutch. This is the reason I want to try professional help.

Can he drive a standard car? It sounds like he never got used to the idea of doing a couple things (clutch/gas) at once. Maybe take him out in a 5 speed car then transfer idea over to two wheels? Safer, easier to instruct, and the basic principle remains the same.

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
#313
shaugdog is offline  
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaugdog View Post
Can he drive a standard car? It sounds like he never got used to the idea of doing a couple things (clutch/gas) at once. Maybe take him out in a 5 speed car then transfer idea over to two wheels? Safer, easier to instruct, and the basic principle remains the same.
Tried in the Miata (one of the easiest manual transmissions EVER), kid had absolutely no concept of what to do. He'd have the clutch in and pedal to the floor totally bewildered as to why the car wasn't moving.

The reason I want him to take a professional course is so someone (aside from me) will tell him, "Hey, this hobby isn't for you, time to take up crocheting." Maybe then he'll get his head out of his ass and sell that bike before he dies.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm a non-achiever.
 
shaugdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Naperville
Posts: 2,929
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Tried in the Miata (one of the easiest manual transmissions EVER), kid had absolutely no concept of what to do. He'd have the clutch in and pedal to the floor totally bewildered as to why the car wasn't moving.

The reason I want him to take a professional course is so someone (aside from me) will tell him, "Hey, this hobby isn't for you, time to take up crocheting." Maybe then he'll get his head out of his ass and sell that bike before he dies.
Yeah, I know the type. Props for doing the right thing for him. Good luck

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
#313
shaugdog is offline  
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
wait he works retail and cant take a day off to improve his safety? Your a good friend I would have given up on this along time ago.
Loki047 is offline  
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:13 PM
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
if he can get a bike i am for hire but not at 10 bucks for the day. simple thing is now when i do a class there has to be 8-10 people at least. any day i take off or dont do something i loose money. so if i can make some money and do what i love. its a win for everyone. let me know if i can help.

but i have no small bike he can use.



Odysseys is offline  
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
wait he works retail and cant take a day off to improve his safety? Your a good friend I would have given up on this along time ago.
VERY high end jewelry retail, he's the marketing director and works the sales floor, keeps him very very busy. He is taking a trip out of the country later in the year and is blowing all his vaca time on that. I know it's stupid of him not to take the course, but I told him it was stupid to buy a FatBoy for his first bike, he didn't listen to that either.

Maybe with some professional help he will suddenly understand the concept but at this point I'd say it's highly unlikely.


Anyone want to pose a professional teacher and tell him to sell the bike and give up?

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
if he can get a bike i am for hire but not at 10 bucks for the day. simple thing is now when i do a class there has to be 8-10 people at least. any day i take off or dont do something i loose money. so if i can make some money and do what i love. its a win for everyone. let me know if i can help.

but i have no small bike he can use.
If I can get a bike, I'll let you know. PM me a ballpark price that a day's lesson would cost.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm a non-achiever.
 
shaugdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Naperville
Posts: 2,929
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
if he can get a bike i am for hire but not at 10 bucks for the day. simple thing is now when i do a class there has to be 8-10 people at least. any day i take off or dont do something i loose money. so if i can make some money and do what i love. its a win for everyone. let me know if i can help.

but i have no small bike he can use.

I hope you make peeps sign a waiver, or else your really gonna loose money

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
#313
shaugdog is offline  
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Registered User
 
Cougar8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 2,173
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Tried in the Miata (one of the easiest manual transmissions EVER), kid had absolutely no concept of what to do. He'd have the clutch in and pedal to the floor totally bewildered as to why the car wasn't moving.

The reason I want him to take a professional course is so someone (aside from me) will tell him, "Hey, this hobby isn't for you, time to take up crocheting." Maybe then he'll get his head out of his ass and sell that bike before he dies.
damn. That is bad.

I teach MSF and have done those 1 day classes. If he gets into my class I will ask him to leave in 10 min. that class is and will be over his head. It is designed as a refresher.

Sadly to say unless he is willing to take time off he is screwed. There is one thing he can try. http://www.lrn2ryd.com/motorcycle_tr...instructor.htm

Guy name Larry, he used to be one of the MSF instructors until he went private. Tell him Alex Kogan sent you. Since he does it for him self and has small bikes he might be able to work something out for your friend. One thing for sure it will cost him as it is outside the norm.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
Cougar8000 is offline  
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaugdog View Post
I hope you make peeps sign a waiver, or else your really gonna loose money
i am not responsible for shit, and i am not giving anyone a receipt so there is no business transaction. as far as i am concerned he is giving me money to look good.


how many hours per night he looking to do?

i suggest a 6-8 hour and ill get him SQUARED!



Odysseys is offline  
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered User
 
Cougar8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 2,173
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Oddy, you are NUTS. Doing it for free is one thing. Doing it for money, you are opening your self to some huge drilling. Good luck.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
Cougar8000 is offline  
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm a non-achiever.
 
shaugdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Naperville
Posts: 2,929
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseys View Post
i am not responsible for shit, and i am not giving anyone a receipt so there is no business transaction. As far as i am concerned he is giving me money to look good.
yut uggghhhhh!

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
#313
shaugdog is offline  
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered User
 
Cougar8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 2,173
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
i am not responsible for shit, and i am not giving anyone a receipt so there is no business transaction. as far as i am concerned he is giving me money to look good.


how many hours per night he looking to do?

i suggest a 6-8 hour and ill get him SQUARED!
You are high on drugs

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
Cougar8000 is offline  
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
call it a donation then



Odysseys is offline  
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
VERY high end jewelry retail, he's the marketing director and works the sales floor, keeps him very very busy. He is taking a trip out of the country later in the year and is blowing all his vaca time on that. I know it's stupid of him not to take the course, but I told him it was stupid to buy a FatBoy for his first bike, he didn't listen to that either.

Maybe with some professional help he will suddenly understand the concept but at this point I'd say it's highly unlikely.


Anyone want to pose a professional teacher and tell him to sell the bike and give up?
Use a sick day, its not like he owns the place.
Loki047 is offline  
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
The Halo hides my Horns
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 12,690
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google
           
Send him to Ody. If Ken can't teach him, at least Ken is imposing enough to explain to the guy that two wheels aren't for everyone.

It sounds like the guy just wants a status symbol anyways...I imagine him going down the road trying to clutch, talk on the phone, and puff on a stogie (no offence Brian, just saying).

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Lonely Raven is offline  
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
Put it to u this way. I already see getting punched from the guy when I break his heart. So I wanna get paid if someone is gonna swing at me. LOL



Odysseys is offline  
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right
 
stkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 3,755
Location: Kenosha, WI
Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA
           
For the clutch/throttle issue. He can learn all he needs by sitting in a driveway "almost".

He just needs to get a feel for the friction zone of the clutch. Have him hold the bike upright with his heels touching the floor and his toes pointed up. With the engine ONLY AT IDLE, have him slowly release the clutch until the bike SLOWLY rolls him forward until his feet are flat. Clutch goes in, front brake as needed, and then he rolls backwards to reset his heel position. REPEAT over/over/over until he get's it right.

You can also do this with the bike pointed at a wall about a foot in front of him. No matter what happens, he can't go to far. The wall will keep his mind on not continuing forward.

Once he has mastered this, THEN it's time to find a parking lot for practice. Review the friction zone and repeat it a few times, then have him start, go a little bit, then stop. Walk the bike to turn it around, then go the other way. Once mastered, then allow a u-turn after the stop/go. Once he can turn (head turns too), then make some figure eights with the parking lines.

It's all about building blocks to learning, and starting out with the very basics. Do NOT let him go any further until he masters the step you're on. I did this when I taught my wife to ride, and her first bike was a Yamaha V-Star 1100. She didn't have any problems. She also did the MSF course at the same time.

Good Luck

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
stkr is offline  
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Send him to Ody. If Ken can't teach him, at least Ken is imposing enough to explain to the guy that two wheels aren't for everyone.

It sounds like the guy just wants a status symbol anyways...I imagine him going down the road trying to clutch, talk on the phone, and puff on a stogie (no offence Brian, just saying).
None taken, you nailed it on the head. He wants to be Billy Badass on a Hog... like many HD riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Put it to u this way. I already see getting punched from the guy when I break his heart. So I wanna get paid if someone is gonna swing at me. LOL
If I can get a bike for him, are you really willing to teach him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr View Post
For the clutch/throttle issue. He can learn all he needs by sitting in a driveway "almost".

He just needs to get a feel for the friction zone of the clutch. Have him hold the bike upright with his heels touching the floor and his toes pointed up. With the engine ONLY AT IDLE, have him slowly release the clutch until the bike SLOWLY rolls him forward until his feet are flat. Clutch goes in, front brake as needed, and then he rolls backwards to reset his heel position. REPEAT over/over/over until he get's it right.

You can also do this with the bike pointed at a wall about a foot in front of him. No matter what happens, he can't go to far. The wall will keep his mind on not continuing forward.

Once he has mastered this, THEN it's time to find a parking lot for practice. Review the friction zone and repeat it a few times, then have him start, go a little bit, then stop. Walk the bike to turn it around, then go the other way. Once mastered, then allow a u-turn after the stop/go. Once he can turn (head turns too), then make some figure eights with the parking lines.

It's all about building blocks to learning, and starting out with the very basics. Do NOT let him go any further until he masters the step you're on. I did this when I taught my wife to ride, and her first bike was a Yamaha V-Star 1100. She didn't have any problems. She also did the MSF course at the same time.

Good Luck
Been there tried that, bike ended up nearly running into the back wall in his garage, my lesson ended there. I really think he's unteachable, like his brain lacks the ability to comprehend the mechanics of operating a motorcycle. He's a genius in real life, he just doesn't get this in the slightest.

This is him, honestly:


Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right
 
stkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 3,755
Location: Kenosha, WI
Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA
           
<----- Can't watch YouTube at work

You could rig up a shock collar on him, and when he screws up, just hit the button. Sure, there's gonna be crashes, and lots of chrome trashed, but at least it would be entertaining.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
stkr is offline  
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr View Post
<----- Can't watch YouTube at work

You could rig up a shock collar on him, and when he screws up, just hit the button. Sure, there's gonna be crashes, and lots of chrome trashed, but at least it would be entertaining.
It's the video of a guy starting out from a stop on an SV650 and riding directly into a tree. He can't even start the bike without help. I feel guilty talking shit here, I'd honestly take a bullet for him but he's just going to end up hurt here.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome