Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

HD Camcorders?

731 views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Lonely Raven 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know anything about HD Camcorders, or can recommend a good web page to give myself a crash course? I'm thinking about picking one up tonight, I'm hoping sub-$500 range if possible, but will stretch my budget if that is not going to get me a good camera.

Is there currently a great bang-for-the-buck HD camcorder out right now that I should just swing by Fry's to pick up and be done with it?

Uses are going to be mostly video taping the puppy, but I may also put a protective filter on it and mount it to the SV for some fun/casual videos, and maybe video documenting some projects and the like.

I've not had a camcorder in 10 years, so I really know nothing about the current state of the art.

#2 ·
I don't know much about them either. I dropped a couple hundo more on a semi-decent one at the time. In good lighting, the picture is great! But in low lighting, the picture is sub-par. I thought I was getting a great camcorder, but it's a decent one at best.

Sorry, I can't provide much else...

#3 ·
I have a canon HF-10. Was 800 bucks a 8 months ago. Since then the 11 and 12 models came out and you can prolly pick one up for 550 or so.

It's flash memory based and rated very high on the cam sites (does 24p and 30p etc)

Welcome to check mine out if you like

Or check out the flip mino hd. 200 bucks ;)

#4 ·
Yeah, I saw those flip models, which might be fine for quick and dirty 720p video, but I want a full 1080p if I'm dropping the cash on a good camcorder. From what I'm reading so far (just started cramming reviews over the past 30 minutes), 2009 is a huge year for HD cameras, and all the brands have come out with some stellar models. I just need to find one I'm not going to regret 6 months from now, without dropping $1500 on a camera that will be worth $500 this time next year! LOl

#13 ·
oh cool, going to send copies to friends and family? ohhhhh right, sending them your computer isn't really an option. :laughing

for me with kids, grandparents want copies too. For now DVD is the most universally playable and distributable choice.

#20 · (Edited)
I got a Cheapie off of ebay
it is
suppose to shoot 1080p @30fps
and 720P @60fps, records on flash
I mainly tape motorsports
I leave it on 720,

and yup love the youtubeHD
here is a clip from my cheapie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ph3SIYG8do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.