Health insurance doesn't cover motorcycles - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Ninja 250
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Word of mouth

Health insurance doesn't cover motorcycles

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding health insurance.

I've noticed that a number of people say they rely on their health insurance for motorcycle injuries, and thus get lower amounts of insurance on their bike. However, my health insurance through my company strictly excludes motorcycle riding (among other things, like bungee jumping, hang gliding, and parasailing), and I'm wondering if this is legal?

Can a health insurance company forbid coverage for injuries from motorcycle riding, a legal activity? Because of this I have higher coverage through Progressive for my motorcycle insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

sadly they can...

Private companys can make their own policy on who, and or what they are willing to cover.

Corey aka: phkz24
NESBA "I" #24
MSF Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Ole Book of Truth
It is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission
Godspeed Ashwin.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

They can pretty much do whatever they want if you're willing to sign on the dotted line. It is not uncommon for insurance companies to exclude certain high risk activities OR charge extra if you plan on participating in said activities.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Ninja 250
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Word of mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkz24 View Post
sadly they can...

Private companys can make their own policy on who, and or what they are willing to cover.
If that's the case then, is this a typical practice?

Edit - beaten, thanks.

Right now I'm carrying 100/300 BI and uninsured motorist coverage through Progressive - should I increase this? I'm a pretty safe rider, and I only have a 250 so I'm not tearing up the roadways or anything, I'm just worried about someone hitting me.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Most insurance companies cap BI for moto insurance really really low. They pretty much know for sure you're gonna hurt yourself sooner or later and don't even bother even offering higher coverage.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

thats why you say you fell off as ladder when you go to the ER
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
thats why you say you fell off as ladder when you go to the ER
and you were practicing safety by wearing a helmet, gloves and moto jacket while falling off said "ladder"
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

The bill to fix this problem (introduced by Republicans) has been stagnating since June of '07. Doubt it will go anywhere else at this point.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h1076/show

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
The bill to fix this problem (introduced by Republicans) has been stagnating since June of '07. Doubt it will go anywhere else at this point.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h1076/show
HA - I was just gonna post up and say "Talk to Kegger" - Mr Copter Ride Rider himself

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
HA - I was just gonna post up and say "Talk to Kegger" - Mr Copter Ride Rider himself
Yep- I have a separate AFLAC policy just for this circumstance - I hope I never use it.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Yep- I have a separate AFLAC policy just for this circumstance - I hope I never use it.
Me too Mate

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
2%

Sportbike: nothing for now...
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: JFGI

Send a message via AIM to milkman
cant be like that for BC BS, can it? ill will not be a happy camper

PM for cheap computer work
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

My med bills for my baseball slide with the Daytona on i355 total over 50k. Insurance paid every penny.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
and you were practicing safety by wearing a helmet, gloves and moto jacket while falling off said "ladder"
i never climb without my shoei, dont you?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 PM
My mom says I'm cool

Sportbike: KTM 690 Enduro R
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Slap Chop Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
i never climb without my shoei, dont you?
Always. I have a problem though.....I have no health insurance and only 2000 for medical on my bike. Anyone recommend a pretty good insurance company that won't make me go broke?

WTF! MNDZA just got here and allready he's been quoted in a sig...... Guess I'm just like dungeons and dragons. Cool only when nobody you hang out with knows your a nerd. "Naw I can't. I'm kinda busy tonight..... Gonna go visit with.. grandma. Yeah Grandma."
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:02 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

In the case of employer provided insurance, this was supposed to be addressed over 10 years ago with the Portability act (AKA the Kennedy/Kasbaum bill) but the Clinton administration sat on it until just before he left office to set the rules and they interpreted the law to say that activities such as motorcycling, snowmobiling, snow skiing, personal watercraft and horse back riding could be excluded from benefits and that they don't have to tell you they're excluded until you need them!
The AMA and MRF have been working on putting an end to this discrimination (working with snowmobile groups, snow skiers and horse people) ever since. They've been able to introduce a correction act in every session of Congress since...it's breezed through the Senate, once with a unaminous consent decree and it contiually gets hung up in the house because the insurance lobby fights it.
They were able to get a law passed that requires the companies to tell you up front you are not covered, but I'm not sure if that is in effect yet.

When you are buying the insurance yourself, you have options and can find coverage if you shop for it. When it's provided and you don't even know you or your family is not covered for certain injuries...that's discrimination. Imagine taking your 10 year old to Fox Valley and he falls hard off his TTR 90 and suffers a broken leg that requires surgery to repair and being told in the emergency room that the hospitalization insurance that you have from your employer or union won't cover the $40,000 cost of the surgery and hospital and rehab your son needs! Especiallly when your co-workers kid was similarly injured while playing football with a severe head injury as well and it ran over $100,000 in bills and he was fully covered.
The way I see it...it's a manipulation of your activity and behavior and it should not be tolerated.
Go buy insurance from a company that doesn't want to tell you how to behave or how you should recreate and tell your employer to do the same and tell you congress person to vote in favor of the HIPPA Correction Act!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Me too Mate
+1, the Duck rides with me as well.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM

PS....Just think of how much coverage motorcyclists will have if it comes down to government bureaucrats deciding whether you're covered or not!
May God forbid!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

You could ask your HR person to see if it's possible to add coverage. Not likely but better than ins fraud.

Also very few details in the ER. Don't lie, but be very vague.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
if it's not too bad an injury, know in advance which types of activities are covered that can cause injury and just bring yourself to the hospital, telling them it is one of those included reasons

- Steve
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
PS....Just think of how much coverage motorcyclists will have if it comes down to government bureaucrats deciding whether you're covered or not!
May God forbid!

^^^ Actually under this circumstance, everyone and any activity would be covered. If you read some of the proposals for universal health care, or look at examples in other countries, its pretty simple. Your hurt, you go to the ER, they pay.

Now getting through the 10 hr wait in the ER, because every Dick, Jane, Joe, and Bob who have a sore muscle and want it checked out.........well, thats another problem.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Ok which on of you folks in the health insurance pro involving BC/BS I have a few questions to ask you in PM

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleZ View Post
^^^ Actually under this circumstance, everyone and any activity would be covered. If you read some of the proposals for universal health care, or look at examples in other countries, its pretty simple. Your hurt, you go to the ER, they pay.

Now getting through the 10 hr wait in the ER, because every Dick, Jane, Joe, and Bob who have a sore muscle and want it checked out.........well, thats another problem.
I'd rather pay a little extra for the coverage because I don't feature bleeding to death internally while waiting for an overworked, underpaid, undertrained and overstressed resident to get to me because in a single payer system putting the most severe in the front of the line is not "fair" to those who were there first and government employee health care providers with the attitude that every severe case that dies before they're looked at saves the taxpayers money.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
I'd rather pay a little extra for the coverage because I don't feature bleeding to death internally while waiting for an overworked, underpaid, undertrained and overstressed resident to get to me because in a single payer system putting the most severe in the front of the line is not "fair" to those who were there first and government employee health care providers with the attitude that every severe case that dies before they're looked at saves the taxpayers money.
Umm oldtimer I hate to break he news to you but even now the worst are the first to be treated so why would it be any different

so the guy that has a leg missing and squirting blood all over should have to wait on the regulars that claim they are sick from dust ?

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM

^^^^^ Point being...I've seen government run programs..the current mortgage fiasco for instance...do you honestly believe health care run by the government can be trusted to do anything right? Do you honestly believe that it will cover things like recreational injuries from what is perceived as a "blood" sport when it will surely struggle to have the money to pay for the basics in short order? It will become another way to control all of our "behavior". I'll save further discussion about the shortcomings of nationalized health care for a thread dedicated to that discussion

Health insurance that covers riding and racing is available if the policy you have does not. You should consider it part of your gear! AND...you should support efforts to put an end to health insurance discrimination againt motorcyclists and other legal recreational groups. Go to the AMA's website and look up Health Insurance Discrimination or Hippa Correction Act. It will be a learning experience for all, I'm sure.

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 06-02-2009 at 10:32 AM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

So far all my bills are being paid except for my chopper ride. It is only 16k for the 74 miles.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

You got a bargain, then, mine cost that much for half the distance. BCBS denied that for me too, at least for now.

They did cover the radiology bill, though, and though our SPD excludes "activities for pay or profit," it doesn't exclude motorcycling-related injuries, even those taken on the track.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
So far all my bills are being paid except for my chopper ride. It is only 16k for the 74 miles.
Thats cheap its 5 grand just for the take off you must have been liked

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Flyin' Lo and Free

Sportbike: 1998 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Years Riding: too many to count
How you found us: another rider on the street

My health insurance will cover me while riding my bike, but I got a letter in the mail stating that they will not cover me in the event that I use my bike for anything other than normal riding. IE: RACING in any way shape or form. So, it probably depends on the insurance company and what they want to cover. You get what you pay for. Cheers.

1998 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird...Puig Touring screen, Corbin Gunfighter/lady saddle, Two Bros. C2 Polished Aluminum Oval Slip-Ons, Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit, VFR bars, Pazzo style levers, Hyperpro spring kit w/Jaws fork preload adjusters, Roadsmart tires, more to come.

ASE Automotive Master Tech, 20+ years in the business. Will do side jobs at my house, your parts or mine. PM for available services, questions and labor quote. Happy to give advice as well.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbrdrydr View Post
My health insurance will cover me while riding my bike, but I got a letter in the mail stating that they will not cover me in the event that I use my bike for anything other than normal riding. IE: RACING in any way shape or form. So, it probably depends on the insurance company and what they want to cover. You get what you pay for. Cheers.
Define racing? I thought that to until I found out through another member that track days is not considered racing since your in a instructional enviroment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode