All Aol Users. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
All Aol Users.

I have noticed that on some peoples AOL accounts they are not getting emails from this site. such as thread subscriptions or pm notifications. Everyone who has complained about this has been an AOL user. Stuntlife has been having the same issue so its not my code. From what I can tell AOL is blocking my emails thinking its junk mail. can all of you please do me a favor and complain to them about this issue. I do not use AOL so I do not have any contact info for them but I am sure one of you guys can post a link or an email address to complain to here so everyone can do it.

Thank You.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:39 PM

I'm assuming that you use your own SMTP server. Try forwarding outgoing SMTP to an SMTP server owned by an ISP.

CLSB SMTP ---> ISP SMTP ---> AOL(or other destination) SMTP

The problem is, you don't "own" the IP address for chicagolandsportbikes.com. It's owned by your ISP.

http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl

Search results for: 64.94.102.200

Internap Network Services PNAP-05-2000 (NET-64-94-0-0-1)
64.94.0.0 - 64.95.255.255
Webzonic, Inc. PNAP-LAX-WEBZNC-DC-01 (NET-64-94-102-0-1)
64.94.102.0 - 64.94.103.255

AOL's SMTP server does a reverse lookup on the IP address of your SMTP server and since it doesn't match, it rejects the mail.

If you forward the outgoing SMTP to your ISP's SMTP server, it will do a reverse lookup on that IP, and since it should be registered to the ISP, the mail will go through.

This is setup to stop spammers from installing sendmail on their home PC and bombarding AOL's SMTP servers with spam.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:43 PM

Now I am getting them today after 3 weeks of not getting them?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally posted by obijuan
I'm assuming that you use your own SMTP server. Try forwarding outgoing SMTP to an SMTP server owned by an ISP.

CLSB SMTP ---> ISP SMTP ---> AOL(or other destination) SMTP

The problem is, you don't "own" the IP address for chicagolandsportbikes.com. It's owned by your ISP.

http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl

Search results for: 64.94.102.200

Internap Network Services PNAP-05-2000 (NET-64-94-0-0-1)
64.94.0.0 - 64.95.255.255
Webzonic, Inc. PNAP-LAX-WEBZNC-DC-01 (NET-64-94-102-0-1)
64.94.102.0 - 64.94.103.255

AOL's SMTP server does a reverse lookup on the IP address of your SMTP server and since it doesn't match, it rejects the mail.

If you forward the outgoing SMTP to your ISP's SMTP server, it will do a reverse lookup on that IP, and since it should be registered to the ISP, the mail will go through.

This is setup to stop spammers from installing sendmail on their home PC and bombarding AOL's SMTP servers with spam.
Now thats interesting, I was wondering how thier block worked. thanks dude. I will play around with that.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:09 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I don't know Tony....I always recieved notifications and emails from ya at home using dial up AOL.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
I don't know Tony....I always recieved notifications and emails from ya at home using dial up AOL.
Thats whats confusing me some people do and some dont. Does AOL have selectable levels of filtering with email by any chance? maybe thats why some people are blocking them.

veryday I get emails from people who signed up but cant post because they never got thier registration email.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:18 PM

I'm sure they have a farm of SMTP servers (several load balanced servers performing a single service). One or two may be configured differently(?) Just a SWAG.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:26 PM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Dial up servers and the new high speed internet ones are different. The new high speed ones have a lot more security on them and are probably using the spam filter that is blocking the e-mail. Also someone might have flagged the domain as spam whithout knowing but subscribing to several threads and making the notifications appear as spam to whatever filter is being used.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode