I-Pass - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I-Pass

Not that anyone cares but after fighting the gloves, digging for change, paying, putting glove back on, and getting into gear to go i finally broke down and got the (trumpets from a distance sounding) I-PASS!

Just little things in life make me happy!

One unit for two trucks and a bike....what a beautiful thing. The lady even told me not to worry about if the system charged the account if i roll through the express lanes because they check the plates against the database and then charge you only the toll amount. She said they "wait" for repeated violaters to earn enough fines before they go after the individual. Pretty shitty i thought but who cares i got my i-pass!!!

Very easy to do and i def recommend it to ya!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 12:09 AM

Sportbike: '08 FZ-1
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to phlflyrsfan
I agree, I love the I-Pass. Dealing with change is such a pain.

Now I just gotta find a better way to mount it, right now it's in about the most ugly place it could possible be (stuck to the center of the windshield).

Any body know if it will read through the plastics of the fairing? I was thinking of hiding it up under the front fairing someplace.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey bud i guess you did'nt read into my thread......The lady said they will review a pic. You can leave it in your jacket pocket and just roll through the express!

Now on manual lanes you may use the velcro on the screen just before you go on the ride. Just so you know they do work through the screen. i tried it. i had it in my textile jacket pocket as well and it even worked! Imagine that.

Now go to bed!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 12:30 AM

Sportbike: '08 FZ-1
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to phlflyrsfan
I saw about reading it off your lincense... but don't you think that if it fails to read everytime you go through they will eventually get pissed about having to lookup your lincense number all the time??

... i don't know... but your right, I need to get some sleep
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 12:31 AM

i have mine between the windscreen and dash, and it rarely works. theres only one tollway that i know of that is all gates- the one on 90 going into the city by cumberland/294. i got stuck there when it wouldnt go up : i managed to squeeze by though
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Great Kelly you just contibuted to the "Great Illinois Toll Road Scam" You pay tolls to ride on, under construction, crowded, dangerous, debris ladden roads Guess you'll finally get to use that tire patching kit.....and remember face shield down, don't want that 4" lag screw ruining that pretty face

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 08:07 AM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Cool

Hmm Never had problem going thru there with my I-pass. I go to work that way all the time. May want to check your battery. That gate is a scam for everyone. It doesn't have a express and I believe it contribute to the traffic come from the west.[COLOR=purple]
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 09:45 AM

heres a similair thread at sbn

if the senesors ARE magnetic, and arent picking up the bike, then maybe it wont take a picture of the plate as you whiz through. hmmm.

and that toll plaza by cumberland/294 is a freakin joke. you have 2 major expressways dumping into one, and they stick a toll right there! then 190 too, so you get all the airport traffic also. worse design ever. and if you arent paying attention when you exit the middle booths, youll hit the freakin median and bridge columns in the middle of the road. not to mention the asshole people that fly down the cumberland exit and merge last minute.

ok im done
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 11:08 AM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

I've had the I-Pass since it came out. I think it's great. I don't agree with the tolls and all that BS, but if I have to pay, I-Pass is the only way to go.

On my Busa, I mount it with velcro on top of the dash. I have a smoked windscreen and it works all the time. Although, sometimes when I go through the gates, I have to take it off and hold it high. It's easy to do with gloves on because it's only velcro.

Quick and easy to switch from car to bike.

Mike
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 11:10 AM

Sportbike: '03 CBR 954
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Web Search

I've noticed that if drive down the center of the lane, the i-pass will work. I usually ride with a couple dollars just in case or I try and swing the I-pass up in the air. The only problem is that all the oil gets dumped in the middle so you have to very careful. I've already heard of a couple people going down at the toll booth.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:33 AM
To infinity and beyond

Sportbike: 2008 Hayabusa
Years Riding: 24
How you found us: Goggle Search Engine

Hey Labdog,

Did you tell the tollway authority you are using one unit for two trucks and one motorcycle? Let me know what you told them, because they told me I need to purchase one for each vehicle and they could only match one transponder per license plate.

Just curious. I doesn't matter to me since I still use one transponder for two vehicles.

BTW, how's the suit? Used it yet?

What were you thinking??? You can't catch me!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet
Hey Labdog,

Did you tell the tollway authority you are using one unit for two trucks and one motorcycle? Let me know what you told them, because they told me I need to purchase one for each vehicle and they could only match one transponder per license plate.

Just curious. I doesn't matter to me since I still use one transponder for two vehicles.

BTW, how's the suit? Used it yet?

Thats what I was wondering. They would only let me register mine to one plate.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Still riding...

Sportbike: 2005 Giggy 6, 2004 CRF 50
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Forgot, maybe off Stuntlife...

I have an I-Pass and they asked how many vehicles would be using it, but that was like 2 years ago.

I don't know if they make you buy one for each vehicle. That would seem like another Illinois money-making-scheme, .

---->

Back from hibernation.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

I would like to know when they are gonna start paying me interest on the 40 bucks that I have sitting in that machine doing nothing until I use it.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:33 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

THATS where the other scam of IPASS came from, not only how can they get our money, but make more money by having it = IPASS

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
THATS where the other scam of IPASS came from, not only how can they get our money, but make more money by having it = IPASS
Ya no shit. You know they have to have an account set up where they are earning some obnoxious amount of interest on the money we have sitting in there. In fact its probably tied to a state bond or something where they are claiming it as a loss and getting federal money to recoup the losses they made by paying themselves interest on our money.

- Ronald Reagan

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Soory took so long to respond but a busy weekend!

I gave the lady behind the counter the info on my truck, my wifes truck, and asked her about adding my motorcycle because the form only gives enough space for 2 vehicle. She said that is no problem at all and she entered the motorcycle info into the computer and that was it. I made sure to ask about transfering the i-pass unit and she said of course you can. As long as the 3 vehicles are registered in illinois you may use the ipass to go through a toll booth. When i told her about the bike she asked model # and everything! Even cc's so in answer--yes they KNEW it was for a bike.

She was really nice and answered all the questions i have cause as you know they won't volunteer info so you have to ask everything to get your answer.

Ricochet-----I LOVE IT!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:14 AM

Sportbike: 01 929RR
Years Riding: '01
How you found us: stuntlife

just wait till they start giving speeding tickets based on i-pass
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:47 AM

when i got my ipass i told them i had 2 vehicles. they said no problem and i gave them the 2 cars they were and the plate numbers. i dont see why you would need 2 transponders if both vehicles are owned by you.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Talking about the IL tollway system, did you know that the IL tollway authority has plans to time you between tolls and ticket you if you arrive too fast? I think they have a bill floating around in Springfield right now.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Delaware does the same thing... this is exactly why I won't have an I-Pass.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:06 PM

Sportbike: 01 929RR
Years Riding: '01
How you found us: stuntlife

i belive new jersey does it also
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Quote:
Originally posted by Blade Runner
Talking about the IL tollway system, did you know that the IL tollway authority has plans to time you between tolls and ticket you if you arrive too fast? I think they have a bill floating around in Springfield right now.
I thought they decided not to pursue this any further since the IPASS was an optional system used as a revenue generator. I certainly will cancel mine if they try persecuting me for speeding with it. I garuntee they wouldn't look into using it to the publics advantage such as recovering stolen vehicles and whatnot.

They have a sure fire way to collect their toll money with IPAS, why ruin it by trying to piss off their customers?? I dont think they will do it. If they do, then they will be sending back my deposit and the remainder of my balance and I will go back to covering my plates with my shoe through the IPASS lane.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:37 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Here is my recent I-Pass trouble:

I guess my I-Pass expired on July 20th and they didn't send me an update.

I was on the phone with them this morn trying to correct the situation. I wanted to add 2 more vehicles to the account but didn't have the plate #s. I'm going to try to call them back tomorrow and update the account.

I'm trying to remember how many times I've used it since the 20th and I'm drawing a blank. On the 18th I went to Naperville on the bike to visit my Bro and on the 19th I used it to get to a wedding in Elgin.

I imagine it expired during that trip and the only time I can remember using it since yesterday (3 times).

What is upsetting is that I signed up for the Automatic payment plan where they bill your cedit card when the account comes within $10 of being empty. However, since I hardly use the thing (I use it for recreational travel on my bike not for daily commutes) my credit card expired and they sent me a new card with a new expiration date. Because of this change I was told that I was in the wrong because I'm supposed to monitor the account.

What makes matters worse is that when they ship the plastic iPass thing they don't differentiate your billing and your shipping address. So When I ordered it I gave them my work address because they were going to ship this package with a big I iPass sticker on it and I know it would have been stolen from my Chicago condo in a flash. The post office has a habit of leaving packages in the lobby. If they ship it FedEx I gotta drive to Skokie and UPS I gotta drive to Melrose Park (convientently open for housewives from 9 to 5)

This is such a suburban mentality to not understand why someone wouldn't want things shipped to their home. Its like all these g-men at the toll authority have stay-at-home wives so they can sit back in their fat cat chairs at their make believe jobs out there in Glen Elyn. I think its great that Blago is smutting them out of their office.

So I guess they may have sent a notice about not being able to bill me but I never got it. Although they didn't say a bill was sent out. They did have my email on file but they didn't send anything there, either.

Well at this point I guess there isn't any damage other than they will review any photo evidence and send me a bill (how long will this take I wonder, 8 months?) for the 3 violations. Doesn't this sound labor intensive?

How are you supposed to know if the damn thing is working? You should be able to see a flashing light or something to tell you the unit worked. But there isn't a display on the iPass unit and there isnt a light on the tollway that makes sense to me. Also, there isn't any way to check your account online. There are "plans" to do this but nothing yet. So you're forced to call that nutty 1-800 # and get disconnected 1/2 a dozen times before you call "that guy you know" at the tollway authority.

I'd really like to know if they are taking pictures of my license plate and attempting to suspend my license for violations. I wouldn't have had any idea if I hadn't been forced to go through the manual lanes at the 294/90 exit ramp due to the heavy traffic and ramp merge location (I agree the worst toll plaza situation ever).

So I was also reading on their web site in the FAQ section and it says that a GPS can really mess up the signal. So I mainly use the GPS on my bike which I wasn't able to register with them when I originally ordered iPass because I didn't remember the license plate #. So I'm afraid that they might send me a big bill for all the times the iPass didn't work because of the GPS.

What a load of crap! I even called back with the license plate info but their darn phone # just disconnects you. So after 3 days of attempts I gave up and have been going through in violation according to them.

I just called again today and got disconnected 5 times before I was able to get transferred through a totally different phone number. What craziness.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!

Last edited by chibeemer; 08-18-2003 at 12:42 PM.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

WOW!

Okay they told me it was MY responsibility to update my account information...IE..Credit card exp and such....

As far as knowing if it worked/s....When you go through the lanes (not the 55mph lanes) but the gates above the stop (red) and green(thankyou) there is 2 light bulbs. Yellow and blue.

If you go through and the blue one lit that means all is good
If you go through and yellow & Blue is lit this means you are falling below the 10.00 min and they will replinish your funds.
If nothing happens with the lites its one of 3 things--
1- your account is on hold/problems with cc card
2- the light/s are burned out
3- you were in New York on Thurs, Fri, Sat or Sun

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 02:35 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Talking Not

Hey, Tony I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. My mom bitches about that all the time. She use hers once every couple months.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Labdog,

Ya see I think that's Bull Shit. No where on their web site do I see the lighting explaination nor do they inform you of this via phone when you buy or with a sign as you go through the booth.

This lighting system is crap. Its not very obvious and I can never tell if a light is lit if the sun is out and everything is really bright anyway.

IMO the same camera that snaps a shot of your plate as you blow through the booth shoul also capture the a light indicating the violation is taking place.

Oterwise, how are they to know that you didn't see the light indicate a failure, pull over, and pay manually.

Even worse, how about going through, haveing the iPass fail, having a picture taken, then having a State Trooper pull you over in one of their "stings". Then having the trooper let you go because he sees only that your iPass fails but no ticket is issued so he lets you go without an issue but a few months later you get a bill from the Toll Authority and you have no record of paying the officer.

Crap! that's what I say. The lights should be very obvious like a sign lighting up Green words saying, "Thank you for using iPass". And the camera should capture the other sign that says "Violation"

As a matter of fact, I posted this issue on another thread on this same board and someone wrote that the blue light only goes on when you are below the $10.

I found that strange because the blue light has been going on since I but the 1st $50 on the iPass. I figured that guy had his head up his ass.

I guess the big problem I have with this iPass is that because you have it so that you can forget about the tolls, its easy to forget about the little things like an expired credit card causing all kinds of trouble. I never get a letter from the toll authority so I forget about the whole deal.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 03:17 PM

The only redeeming thing about getting an iPass violation is that they just charge you for the cost of the toll and don't suspend you license, charge you a fine, or otherwise treat you like a common criminal just because you couldn't see the little toy flashlight blubs indicate the violation as you blast by at 30 mph.

I was reading on that other boards link to the EZ Pass that one guy's bike wouldn't trip the sensor no matter waht he did and then the Toll Authority would make a .50 cent toll into a $5 fine after he would pull over and pay the attendent the 50 cents.

So he got to asking for reciepts to prove it.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 03:54 PM

i got a letter explaining the lights when i recieved my ipass.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Well all i can tell you is what the paper reads that i got with the ipass.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode