Homeowner shot 6 times by PD - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Homeowner shot 6 times by PD

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/ph...ymRsuVjJg.cspx

I saw this while I was eating lunch on Fox news. I think the 911 call is on the website as well.

Quote:
PHOENIX – The Phoenix Police Department issued a statement Wednesday addressing a September 2008 incident that led a Phoenix homeowner to sue the city and its police department.

Tony Arambula is seeking $5.75 million in damages for himself and his family after he was shot by police on September 17, 2008 after officers responded to a call about an intruder inside his central Phoenix home.

Phoenix Police Spokesperson Tommy Thompson said in a press release issued Wednesday that officers responded to a call at Arambula's Phoenix home, but "after entering the residence, one of the officers mistakenly shot the armed home owner."

The press release goes on to say that the "department has been honest and forthright from the very onset of this incident. No attempt has been made to conceal the truth or the facts surrounding it."

Thompson also acknowledges Arambula's lawsuit and says his department will not be making any further statements as the litigation process takes its course.

The claim, filed by Phoenix attorney Michael Manning on behalf of Arambula, names the city, its police department, the officer who shot Arambula and two other officers.

Phoenix police declined to comment on the shooting or the pending claim.

The night of the shooting, Arambula said an intruder had broken into his home.

Arambula called 911 and told police he was holding the intruder at gunpoint.

As officers arrived, Arambula's wife Lesley said she told them her husband was inside the house holding a gun on the intruder.

"I told them my husband was inside, he was the one with the gun," she said Tuesday.

The officers entered the house with a shout of "Police!"

Almost immediately afterward, Phoenix police Officer Brian Lilly shot Arambula in the back.

Three more shots were fired at Arambula, one hitting him in the arm.

The incident was recorded during Arambula’s 911 call, made available earlier this month.

Listen to the call.

The claim said that when Arambula fell to the floor, Lilly shot him two more times.

That's when Arambula told Lilly he'd shot the wrong man.

In his Internal Affairs interview, Lilly admitted firing at Arambula without any verbal warning, according to the claim.

Arambula said he did everything he was supposed to do in that situation.

"I would have loved if they would have told me to get on the floor and drop to my knees," Arambula said. "To not have given me any opportunity to not get shot, it's confusing. I pray that this never happens to another family."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal anti gun owners
this would never happen if home owners were not able to own guns
usually cops say drop da gun then shoot
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

he should have shot the burgler, put the gun away, then call 911 and wait outside
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
he should have shot the burgler, put the gun away, then call 911 and wait outside
+1

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I hope he gets his 5+Mil

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
But then he has to pay for the clean up of the blood and what not that will spill/splatter all over the place
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

I will gladly take a couple of bullets for 5 mil
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
But then he has to pay for the clean up of the blood and what not that will spill/splatter all over the place
Doesn't homeowner's insurance cover it to have that crime scene cleanup place come out? The place with the ads on the tollway with the chalk body outline on them.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

they shot him in the back? wtf, hope he gets his 5mil
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

that article doesn't even include the juicy part...
the moron cops talked about how they were gonna cover it up.. put the homeowner on their squad.. and did all of this with the 911 call still going on ... so it was all recorded...

once again the tax payers are gonna pay out the ass because someone was born without a working brain.... people like those cops make it hard to argue against abortion

to quote a great man... "It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your mama's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress. "
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Raging lunar zoomonkey

Sportbike: 06' CBR 1000RR
Years Riding: we're supposed to ride?
How you found us: yahoo

Send a message via AIM to stumbl1 Send a message via MSN to stumbl1 Send a message via Yahoo to stumbl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Doesn't homeowner's insurance cover it to have that crime scene cleanup place come out? The place with the ads on the tollway with the chalk body outline on them.
good question. I do know that it's expensive as hell to have a company like aftermath INC come clean it up. I had a friend that was dating one the scene clean up guys.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

this is just a blog posting.. but no time to really dig...
here is an older story.. that includes details of the 911 call.. wonder if maybe some of it is being purged by the media due to the lawsuit?

http://news.sc/2009/10/04/family-say...fter-shooting/

some highlights

Quote:
Phoenix Police officers already in the neighborhood heard the crash of the Arambulas’ window. When they approached the house, Lesley says, she told Sgt. Sean Coutts that her husband was inside holding the intruder at gunpoint. Lesley says Coutts failed to pass on that information to the two other officers.

Inside the house, the Arambulas say, Officer Brian Lilly shot Anthony six times in the back while he was still on the phone with the 911 operator – twice when he was on the ground.

The officers ran into the bedroom after Anthony told them, “You just killed … you just killed the homeowner. The bad guy is in there.”

The complaint states that Officer Lilly “admitted that it was only after Tony was laying, bullet-ridden, on the ground that he assessed the situation. The 911 tape continued to record what happened even after Officer Lilly unloaded his weapon into Tony, including Officer Lilly’s post-shooting, one-word ‘assessment’: ‘Fuck.’

“Tony believed he was going to die; the 911 tape records his plaintive goodbye to his family: ‘… I love you … I love you.’ Then Tony made what he believed was a dying request to the officers; he did not want his young family to see him shot and bloodied. Officers callously ignored his request and painfully dragged Tony by his injured leg, through the home and out to his backyard patio, where they left him bloodied and shot right in front of Lesley, Matthew and Zachary.”

The Arambulas say the officers later dragged Anthony onto gravel, then put him on top of the hot hood of a squad car, and “drove the squad car down the street with Tony lying on top, writing in pain.”

According to the complaint, Lilly can be heard on the 911 tape telling Coutts, “We fucked up.”

Lilly says on the tape that he did not know where Anthony’s gun was when he shot him and that he “opened fire because he heard loud noises and saw someone who looked like he might be the ‘Hispanic’ male they were pursuing” before getting to the Arambulas’ house, according to the complaint.
Quote:
The complaint states: “Sgt. Coutts knew that officers has just shot up and likely killed an innocent homeowner and the husband of Lesley, with whom he had spoken before entering the home, instead of the armed intruder. Sgt. Coutts was quick to commence the cover-up of their terrible mistake. Sgt. Coutts asked Office Lilly where Tony’s gun was at the time Officer Lilly had opened fire on Tony. Officer Lilly admitted that he did not know where Tony’s gun was: ‘I don’t know. I heard screaming and I fired.’”
Quote:
The complaint continues: “Still not knowing that he is being recorded n the 911 tape, Sgt. Coutts interrupted Officer Lilly’s admission and apology with his assurance that the cover-up would commence: ‘That’s all right. Don’t worry about it. I got your back. … We clear?’”
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
I will gladly take a couple of bullets for 5 mil
I think you have enough drama , dont give out any ideas.

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:19 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
mehh hydrogen peroxide is cheap and deals with blood quite well

better than gettin capped

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Wow.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Sportbike: R6
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by: Liberal anti gun owners

Did anyone catch this quote?

Attention***Attention***

All criminals

Please be advised I, nor my family which is well trained with the use of a firearm, will use any of our weapons to protect the above members home.
We on the other hand will turn your head into an F'in canoe if you enter ours.

In reference the shooting. That is what you call BAD communication. The homeowner should be awarded money. 5 mil a bit much IMO. Just remember THE CITY DOESN'T LOSE THE MONEY. THE TAXPAYERS PAY IT. Insurance covers it actually, but the high premiums are passed to the citizens after the deductable is paid out.

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Yes there are several companies all over the place that handle this stuff. I am going to bw attending classes to do this very thing when my shoulder is all healed. Homeowners Insurance does cover it, and yes it is expensive.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Wow! That is so incredibly f*cked up. This guy and his family should get WAY more than $5mil.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 AM

Sportbike: 01' ZX-6R
Years Riding: since I've been able to get it up:)
How you found us: google

fuck that!! I've been shot at a couple of times and had a gun pointed right at me before. I want nothing to do with a bullet wound but if the price is right I guess I'll take a 22 on the butt
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Playin Frogger in traffic

Sportbike: 2003 Triumph Daytona 955i <> 1972 Triumph T120R <> 1980 Honda XL185S
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: My Ouija board spelled out CLSB.

Wow, I bet they regret hiring Brian Lilly. What an idiot.

brian
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM

Nick

Not to be a jerk
and I realize everybody and every news source has an agenda.. well almost.

but ... that police force is in serious need of an enima.

How many horror stories have we heard from Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his goons?

From busting down the door of the wrong house and shooting innocent people, to doing the same and accidentally burning the house down.. and when the people tried to save their puppy that they could hear burning .. they stopped them.. when the puppy came out the front door they shot the ground in front of it and chased it back in and laughed while it burned to death.. then wouldn't even let the family retrieve the dead dog?. (all this was witnessed by neighbors.. maybe more than the fire alone would draw as they forgot to put the parking brake on one of their vehicles (an APC at that) and it rolled down the street hitting another vehicles... there have been many more....

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2004-...day-afternoon/
here is one article describing the dog thing....

This guy just strikes me as one of those dirty small town Sheriffs who is a good old boy and just gets away with anything (and... I can't fathom how that can still be the case... just the feeling I get whenever I read anything about him)... That guy is like the bad guy in what 20% of all movies and tv shows? ....(tangent time) Remember the episode of Airwolf when Stringfellow Hawk came back and kicked that Sheriffs ass? That was a good episode.. Think I have a copy if ya wanna watch it.. That was good tv... Shame he got in that car accident and went nuts JMV rocked

His deputies do things like this all the time... They cover it up.. and even when caught on it.. if they get a slap on the wrist it's considered a harsh punishment, normally they just get nothing.. to maybe suspended for a few days with pay..

It's not just that these guys made the mistake... It's that they also immediately tried to cover it up... to blame the homeowner... instead of rushing in EMS they treated him like a criminal and threatened him.. They drug him out of the house.. they put him on the hood of their squad (after they shot him 5x?) ... they talked about "having the others back" and planned the cover up ON TAPE.. not only on tape but on the 911 tape!

People like this should not be police officers... People on power trips without morals should not be police officers.. Part of having power is the ability to control it... and have the morals to do the right thing... Obviously these people do not deserve to be in a position of public trust.. I lump assholes like this in with priests who diddle little boys

details on the dog thing as i think it is very indicative of their mentality

Quote:
• Just after the tear gas canisters were shot, a fire erupted and destroyed a $250,000 home plus all the contents inside. (The home's occupants believe the tear gas canisters caused the fire. Phoenix fire officials say the blaze was probably started by a lighted candle that was knocked onto a bed during the confusion.)

• The armored personnel carrier careened down the street and smashed into a parked car after its brakes failed.

And in the ultimate display of cruelty, a SWAT team member drove a dog trying to flee the home back into the inferno, where it met an agonizing death.

Deputies then reportedly laughed as the dog's owners came unglued as it perished in the blaze.

"I was crying hysterically," Andrea Barker, one of the dog's owners, tells me. "I was so upset. They [deputies] were laughing at me."

Making fun of the 10-month-old pit bull puppy's death wasn't enough.

Arpaio's goons then left the dog's body to rot in the ashes for the next five days of 105-degree temperatures. A pall of death hung over the neighborhood. It was a putrid reminder of Arpaio's reckless use of force and callous disregard for the public's welfare. Not to mention the heinous treatment toward the terrified dog.

And what did Arpaio's crack SWAT team net from the raid that left a needless trail of death and destruction?

MCSO stormed the house believing there was a cache of stolen automatic weapons and armor-piercing ammunition. But MCSO got bushwhacked. Instead of finding weapons of mass destruction, they discovered an antique shotgun and a 9 mm pistol that appear to be legal weapons.
Quote:
Given the overwhelming display of force deployed by Arpaio's deputies, one would have expected the arrest of a mass murderer.

Instead, the crack SWAT boys nabbed 26-year-old Eric Kush. Let me tell you, Kush is really a bad, bad guy.

He was wanted on a misdemeanor warrant for failing to appear in Tempe Municipal Court on a couple of traffic citations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunshowNick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by: Liberal anti gun owners

Did anyone catch this quote?

Attention***Attention***

All criminals

Please be advised I, nor my family which is well trained with the use of a firearm, will use any of our weapons to protect the above members home.
We on the other hand will turn your head into an F'in canoe if you enter ours.

In reference the shooting. That is what you call BAD communication. The homeowner should be awarded money. 5 mil a bit much IMO. Just remember THE CITY DOESN'T LOSE THE MONEY. THE TAXPAYERS PAY IT. Insurance covers it actually, but the high premiums are passed to the citizens after the deductable is paid out.

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 10-09-2009 at 09:14 AM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

The guys should get more then the 5 Mil asked for. I'd be furious.

And that whole dog thing...I'd be hard pressed not to be assaulting the SWAT team responsible for murdering that puppy.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode