Anyone into Scuba diving or interested? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: BMW F800GSA, Honda VTX1800C, Honda XR650L
How you found us: web search

Anyone into Scuba diving or interested?

I am probably going to take a scuba diving class soon to get my certification. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me with where to get my certification through and anything else you think is relevant. What dive shopsdo you recommend in the area and what are some good open water dives to go on for my certification and afterwards?
Anyone else have any interest in this let me know and maybe we can do the class together.

"Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that unless we love the truth, we cannot know it." - Blaise Pascal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 07:16 AM
Work In Progress...

Sportbike: 2005 Harley Night Train
Years Riding: I dunno ?
How you found us: Been around a couple years

Send a message via MSN to BuzByU
Re: Anyone into Scuba diving or interested?

My wife and I took our open water certification last summer. We went throught a place called Scuba U, it is on the south side at 79th and Harlem. It was close for us , so we went there.
708-599-2630 is the # . Ask for John Mikos....nice guy . As far as advice goes, do you have a money tree out back of your house ? Hahaha....It can be pretty expensive, depending on how deep into you want to get, such as do you want your own equipment? will you rent it after you get certified ? I think we spent around 10 grand on all of our own equipment. So we never have to rent when we go diving. Just your preference is all. P.A.D.I. is the acronim for Professional Association of Diving Instructors...or
Put Another Dollar In......... ... How much it is going to cost you really depends on you and how crazy you want to get. As you can see we went crazy buying all of the equipment.

It is a great sport and the sites are unbeleivable. There are only a few areas in Chicagoland area to dive for your certification that I know of.... a few Quarrys, or there is always Lake MIchigan. Your instructor will help you with that. We are headed to Hawaii in Dec to go diving, so the vacation trips are always planned with diving in view. Diving is endless, you can get certified in so many areas, but you start with your open water certification and go up from there. There is wreck diving, buoyancy diving, photography divng, deep diving, wall diving, get the picture ? And you get certified in each one of those classifications, so it looks pretty impressive when you open up your log book and all of your cards are in there
But whatever dive shop you end up at, make sure that they are PADI certified... it means they have gone through extensive training to get to be instructors. Anyway, I hope I have answered a few of your questions..have fun ! It is a whole nother world down there, waiting to be discovered. If you have any other questions dont hesitate to post or PM me.

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!
1999 Ford SVT Lightning - Super Charged @ 600 ponies

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

I got certified in Cancun while there on vacation, however my wife is taking hers at a local college this fall.

As far as good places to dive, go to warm water that is my suggestion. Lake MI is ok to do mid summer to get certified. But this late in the year it is too cold for my blood.

Outside of that the Keys are a good place to dive, Puerto Rico, Cancun is nice there is an underwater preserve there, USVI has some nice diving too, first time I ever did shore dives. Cozumel is suppose to be great but I hear it is gettting worse every year because people tearing it up. Cayman islands are suppose to be very nice too. The ultimate is the great barrier reef in AUS, which I hope to someday make it to.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 09:12 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Re: Re: Anyone into Scuba diving or interested?

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzByU

We are headed to Hawaii in Dec to go diving, so the vacation trips are always planned with diving in view.
Dude! You need to get an underwater camera and take some shot of the reef while you're down there!

Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Work In Progress...

Re: Re: Re: Anyone into Scuba diving or interested?

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
Dude! You need to get an underwater camera and take some shot of the reef while you're down there!

Dude! Already have it!

2005 Harley Night Train
2001 Golf GTI VR6 - Super Charged-Intercooler, Nitrous = 305 HP... stage 4 to come soon! .. can you say 400? HP? in a Go Kart!

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
I can tell you where not to go. Berry's on dundee rd in palatine.

They suck. Went in there last week to buy a dive light. NOBODY helped me. and I was the only one in the store

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 10:26 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I've been looking at this for another expensive hobby. I've got two buddies who dive, one just bought a dry suit so he can actually go more than 3 months a year (lives in Northern WI). Went to some super deep WI lake who's name I can't remember. There's also Clear Lake around South Beloit (think that's it). The local dive shop up here (Toucan Dive) uses it for their open water stuff.

Looks like I've got some riding buddies to go with too! Damn Greg, you went beserk on the equipment! My friends up here didn't spend NEARLY that much, and you can find some stuff on Ebay (I'd just stick to tanks on Ebay). And once you get the stuff, it's 5 bucks for air, 10 bucks to dive at the lake.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 10:41 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone into Scuba diving or interested?

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzByU
Dude! Already have it!
A man after my heart!

Dave
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Work In Progress...

Quote:
Originally posted by GroverSV650S
Damn Greg, you went beserk on the equipment!
Yeah Chris.well I bought the latest equipment, I wouldnt want anything less than the best at 60 - 100 Ft. That was full gear for 2 ppl also. Plus all of the toys....... and I do like my toys.

2005 Harley Night Train

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

$10,000 for equipment....wow. You did go nuts but with life support equipment it is worth getting the best. You probably have lots of backup equipment (dual dive computers, ...) for that price and a few of wetsuits/dry suits depending on the temp. From what I gather I can get all my own equipment for about $2000-$3000 and end up with good stuff that will last a long time. I wouldn't buy anything on ebay though...I would never trust anyones old equipment with my life. That is probably an especially bad idea for a newbie.

My parents were both into diving but they haven't done it in a number of years. Lake superior, lake huron, and the flordia keys were probably the best places they went. I believe the deepest diving they did was down to 130ft (what they teach is the limit of recreational diving). My dad has been trying to talk me into doing it so he can get back into it again.

I just finished reading a book that got me more interested. I don't really read much but the book "The last dive" by Bernie Chowdurhurry (sp?) was awesome. 300 ft dives to WWII german U-boats, using mixed gasses, and other incredible stuff. Not that I will ever be doing anything that crazy.

BTW...what kind of underwater camera setup do you have and what is the cost? I have seen the housings they make for like $250 for the olympus C-series cameras and was wondering if you have heard anything about how well these work. They are supposed to be good for up to 100 ft and at that cost it is a cheap way to get into underwater photography. I have an olympus c3020 (3.2 mp) and I figured that if the cases work decent then I will probably get one.

"Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that unless we love the truth, we cannot know it." - Blaise Pascal
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Work In Progress...

Yeah like I said that was for 2 people, I bought the HUB system from Mares, it is an intragraded system. pretty cool lookin to Yes I have the latest dive puters and knives and boots and gloves and hoods and 2 suits and, and, and. But we are both worth it dammit ! We also bought hard cases from Costco for travel with the equipment, all of the stuff fits nicely, but it never fails at the airport I need to open it up and do a thourough search. Sonething about the look of the case I beleive.

I have a case to fit my camera, there are cases for most newer model digital cams. You should be able to find a case for your camera. Air tight !

I was thinking the same about E-Bay....thats like, let me buy a "parachute" from E-Bay ..... not me. I need it new.

Pretty nice about your parents diving, that would be a blast to enjoy that with my pop, as im sure it will be with yours. What a cool experience! You do need to get and do some open water in Aruba, or Hawaii or any Carribean site.... that is when you get to see the beauty, not here in some merky water.

2005 Harley Night Train

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Buzbyu, you got the hub system. nice, how do you like it. I was debating on getting that for vacations. and then more of the tech stuff for here. The coolest thing I got is my computer. It's hose less wrist mounted comp. cool as hell. I got my nitrox cert in the bahamas and my advanced and open water at pearl lake. Grover I think that's the lake your thinking about. It's the only one I know that's in South Beloit.

I just bought an underwater housing for my digital camera.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Work In Progress...

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrash
Buzbyu, you got the hub system. nice, how do you like it. I was debating on getting that for vacations. and then more of the tech stuff for here. The coolest thing I got is my computer. It's hose less wrist mounted comp. cool as hell. I got my nitrox cert in the bahamas and my advanced and open water at pearl lake. Grover I think that's the lake your thinking about. It's the only one I know that's in South Beloit.

I just bought an underwater housing for my digital camera.
Yeah I love the Hub, a little gettin used to at the beginning, but once you do it is like smooth sailing, no hoses hanging all over, and the bouyancy controls are on the side like a jet pack..sweet !

When I was last in Mexico, I had all of the dive instructors looking at it all puzzled about how it works. It was pretty funny, I guess it is to high-tech for them

Those camera housings are pretty xpensive!

2005 Harley Night Train

Yea I am compensating..

Gregg
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 12:58 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

make sure you guys get a spear gun, i aslmost had a shark that was really intrested in me bumped me 2 times, must have that i was a whale or something?...lmao

my shit is expired! from like 2 years ago.
deepest dive i was certified for was 300 feet, at that point it was mixed gas that i had to run, and had a 25 minute back up, incase the main tank went to shit.

decompressed wrong ONCE and had to spend 4 days, in the hospitol, to relieve my left lung, from expanding, want to talk about PAIN?

but its fun as hell, and yeah its costly, but isnt everything?

never had the gear always rented it from my buddy which gave me great deals, to bad he is dead.

anyway, the best diving is is anything south of this damm place...lmoa but i LOVE reef diving!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrecks, ahh junk is junk, sorry.
got boring realy fast, and after getting snagged once, screw that!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

I went through Triton College, did the certification at Quarry Lake up near Racine. Unfortunately, that was the last time I dove, and I probably need to get recertified.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 01:05 PM

Sportbike: '91 VFR 750, '03 Titanium 954
Years Riding: 'ah good while now....
How you found us: Friend

Hey,

I went through certification yesterday...Pearl Lake, South Beloit, IL. I went through a Chicago Dive Shop, http://www.magnumscuba.com. Check it out. I wanted to be certified b'fore I go on this cruise next week. Hey, it's a blast.

Ken
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

SO WHO WANTS TO SIGN UP

SCUBA DIVING SIGN UP

I think I am going to go through Sea Lions (www.sealions.org). They are the close to me (Hanover Park) and are 5 star padi certified. Their service seems better than other places I have checked out too.

GROUP DISCOUNT
I inquired about group rates and they offer a $25 class discount for everyone but the 1st person (making it 225 for #1 and $200 for all additional) and gear discounts (if you decide to buy later) for groups of 5 or bigger. All gear rental is included during the course unlike many other places(including mask, snorkel, fins). The class will probably be on Wed nights for 5 weeks straight but this is flexible. I will probably start it in about a month. After this you need to complete 4 open water dives within 1 year which costs $125 total or you can get a referal for $25 to do it while you are on vacation at another place (usually takes 2 days). Anyone here have any interest? I already have a couple people.
Just post your interest on this thread so people known who is going and pm me your email and phone and any other questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode