Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

1 in 8 HS Girls are Pregnant????? WOW !

2K views 81 replies 36 participants last post by  HDTony 
#1 ·
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Robeson.High.School.2.1251642.html
Whats the problem at this school in your opinion?

Kristyn Hartman CHICAGO (CBS)
About one in eight girls at Robeson High School are pregnant. Officials say a variety of factors are to blame.

All those young ladies are moms or moms-to-be at Paul Robeson High School. It's not a school for young mothers, it's a neighborhood school. And all of the pregnancies have happened, despite prevention talk.

If you want to know why, the people closest to the situation say there's no simple explanation.

Chicago Public Schools says it does not track the overall number of teen moms in the district. But Robeson Principal Gerald Morrow knows the count at his school in Englewood: 115 young ladies who are either expecting or already have had children.

To put it in perspective, their school pictures would fill roughly six pages of their high school year book.

Why is it happening at Robeson?

"It can be a lot of things that are happening in the home or not happening in the home, if you will," Morrow said. Absentee fathers are another factor, he said.

LaDonna Denson and two other Robeson students say parents not talking to teens and, in some cases, the pursuit of public assistance also factor into the pregnancies. None of them thought they'd be moms at such a young age.

They said they have support at home. But not all girls do, they said. In fact, some girls get thrown out of the home.

Not on Morrow's turf. "We're not looking at them like 'Ooh you made a mistake,'" he said. "We're looking at how we can get them to the next phase, how can we still get them thinking about graduation?"

So there's help in a teen parent program. And coming soon, right across from Robeson, developers are turning a one-time crack house into a day care for student use. "We have to provide some type of environment for them and some form of support for them," Van Vincent, CEO of VLV Development, said.

It's all made an impression.

"Just cause you have a baby, that doesn't mean your life is over," one student said.

One thing they might not know about their principal: His mom had him when she was 15. That's why accepting the problem -- and working through it -- is so important to him

See less See more
#73 ·
That's pretty messed up, but I'm not surprised. These kids were probably born when their mom was 15 living off welfare, and they just learn from that. The more babies you have, the more welfare you get to spend on clothes and alcohol. They find nothing wrong with it, and somehow find comfort in the fact that that'll be the farthest they go in life. School and work is not a priority for them.

As far as the kids all doing it at the same time like BFF bracelets, I blame that largely on society claiming that women are more mature than men at their age. We all have known girls in high school who have dated 25-30 year old guys because they think they're mature enough for it. No, they're freaking not. A 16 year old is still a 16 year old, with no real life experience other than their parents taking them to Disney World or socializing with grownups on Thanksgiving before they're sent to the kiddie table.

#74 ·
This is the Ghetto mentality at it's finest, bring on the food stamps and babies. I blame wrap music and the welfare system. This has become a cultural issue and the community organizers and reverends are not doing what they need to do to straighten out the youth in their charge. It's sad really because it doesn't have to be this way, but it does fit the political goals of the influential people presiding over those neighborhoods, as it creates more solidly democratic voters, to keep their power structure intact.

#81 ·
While this problem seems to be most evident in poor areas it is not only limited to them. The number of suburban high school girls having kids is growing also. Money doesn't = good home life or values. I agree with an earlier statement made that these kids are looking for unconditional love and the need to be needed so they create a situation to fulfill that (having a baby). Screwed up sounding but true. Not to mention that babies seem to be the newest Hollywood accessory among young starlets and these girls are emulating them. But let us not forget that it takes two in order to have a kid, these little boys pretending to be men should be forced to step up.

Under200

#82 ·
Your right it is everywhere. but this story was written about this inner city school which is predominantly african American, in fact on the news the other night they where showing video of an assembly at the school, I did not see one white kid in the crowd. So my responses were geared toward why we see these kinds of numbers in this particular community. I also see in TV shows etc, the attitude that it's not "cool" for black men to wear protection, I have seen this perpetuated in Film and tv time and time again. This goes against the very education they should be learning in school which would help to curb some of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.