American Choppers Marathon - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

American Choppers Marathon

Did anyone else see the american choppers marathon yesterday for Orange County Choppers? I watched a couple of the episodes I missed so it was pretty cool. I was happy to finally see the finished product of the fire bike and what mikey's blues bike turned out to be. Last but not least the apache bike too. All were nice but I do have to say that it sucked that Mikey's blues bike had to suffer a bit with chrome spokes for the rear rim since the rim with the gold didnt spin smooth. That sucked. Not having matching rims on a bike that is that expensive and custom. Have to say I was unhappy.

Also, did anyone watch any of the biker build off with Billy Lane or Paul Yaffe or Indian Larry???? That was pretty good. Highly recommend watching if you missed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Yeah, it was cool to catch up on episodes that I missed.

I can't believe that Billy Lane's bike won again, must be the women stuffing the box(according to my wife). I have to ask myself which bike I'd rather ride, no hot butt for me thank you. It was cool that Indian Larry won though it seems like those are set up for the East Coast guys to win since they are held there. I think Sturgis would be a little more neutral ground.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Tried doing a reply but it started a new thread for some reason but here is what I wrote.

I didnt get to see the billy lane episode since I was out to dinner but the indian larry and paul yaffe decision sucked. I am not a fan of the old school looking chopper that looks like a toy thing that indian larry built. I thought the yaffe bike was smooth and bad ass. i would have to disagree on the larry taking that one.

on the flip side, billy has some way cool designs. You know the bike he designed that is rimless on the rear tire i got to see that in person out at sturgis. just happened to see it parked on main street when we were walking by. very very cool bike. the footage on tv hasnt done that bike justice.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:01 PM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000
How you found us: SBN

i got to catch up on the shows also. about indian larry's bike....i didn't like it. in my opinion, its called retro paint because its from the past. the past should stay where it is!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
yaffe definate had a better looking bike i just dont like indian larry seems like a moron to me. Did you the one with mario andretti in it? It was funny he walked into the guy's shop and said "the first thing i look at on a bike(pointing to the tire) is how far people lean over" He was looking at chicken strips i thought that was funny.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:04 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Sportbike: None right now
Years Riding: since '95

I saw all the episodes on first run, but still maneged to watch a couple of them yesterday.

Life is too short to ride anything but an R1

In memory of FastBlueR1...RIP

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

Yeah, Andretti pointing out the chicken strips was cool. The hot ass bike was nice, except for the hot ass. My favorite was the 2,400 HP Bourgis boat, they showed it when Bourgis and Billy did there build off. Did any body see when Billy hit the pot hole, his ass came like to feet of the seat. Billy stuff is more art than the other guys, they seemed more mass-produced. I am pretty sure
Billy got all the female votes to help the decisions.

Anti-drama
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I saw the bikes from the "BuildOff" in Sturgis at the Roadhouse. IndyLry's bikes look like something just thrown together. I didn't care much for them. The others were ok. I do like some of Paul Yaffee's bikes that have that industrial look to them.

Looking for chicken strips???WTF Must have been a sportbike guy. Who cares on a chopper????

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:42 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
IndyLry's bikes look like something just thrown together.
Really? Oh well, ,my bubble is burst. I was pulling for him because he reminds me of Iggy Pop.

I still say Billy Lane's bikes are crap, I can't believe they don't fall apart on the road.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Last edited by Sticky; 09-02-2003 at 02:50 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Andretti.......must have been a sportbike guy???????

Anti-drama
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gasguzzler
Andretti.......must have been a sportbike guy???????
Yeah.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I would have to agree with you gasguzzler. Bourget's bikes look very mass produced. They all have a very similar design to them so it doesnt differentiate them at all. Only thing seemed custom for the bourgett bike was a custom paint job. Billy puts more creativity and thought in i think.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SloRoll
Yeah.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:13 PM

On thing I have to say for Bourget is that his bikes are ALL his w/excption of the engine. All the others are made up of other peoples parts of something out of the old bike parts collection. Also, B's manufacturing is impeccable and all modern technology is incorporated into his creations. The welds themselves are a work of art.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:52 PM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000
How you found us: SBN

My buddy Joe (now rides the gixxer 1000) had a Bourget. Damn thing used to break down ALL the time!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GautamCity
My buddy Joe (now rides the gixxer 1000) had a Bourget. Damn thing used to break down ALL the time!
Just curious. What broke on it? They look very sturdy in comparison to other choppers on the market.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I hate to be the odd ball here but Indian Larry's bike was awesome. New biker style just sux, choppers should not be all smooth and perfect, they need to look mechanical and primitive. I will say that Billy Lane does a good job of taking old school looks and improving them with artistic flair, regardless if it's really ridable.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. D
I hate to be the odd ball here but Indian Larry's bike was awesome. New biker style just sux, choppers should not be all smooth and perfect, they need to look mechanical and primitive. I will say that Billy Lane does a good job of taking old school looks and improving them with artistic flair, regardless if it's really ridable.
Yes, primitive indeed. When I saw his creation up close it actually looked rusted. I wonder how he got that effect? Oh yeah, and the frayed asbestos tape around the exhaust pipes was awesome. He does seem like a nice guy though. I ran into him at the Full Throttle. My bike was parked right up by the stage. Cool.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I thought the biker build off was pretty funny. I hated both Indian Larry and Billie's bikes. I figured they got more votes because they looked like skuzzy H-D riders. I guess the moral is if you want to build a hot H-D, both the builder and the bike need to look like a burned out POS. Isn't Pauly from Orange County supposed to be in a build off too?

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I guess nobody appreciates old-school choppers anymore. Not that the new styles aren't cool, but it's unrealistic for a person of my means to be able to have one. I'll take a crusty old harley, hack it into a chopped-racked monster and ride it around. I don't want to sweat cleaning my $20K motor that pulls my arms out off their sockets on a trip around the block. To each his own.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Quote:
Originally posted by Blade Runner
Isn't Pauly from Orange County supposed to be in a build off too?
if he was in one he'd never get it done within 30 days
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Where are the races?

Sportbike: 01 Busa
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: cant remeber!

Send a message via AIM to twistedspeed
im sure most of the votes for billy and larry come from there fans. ask any harley or chopper rider and there going to like billy and larry alot better then the rest. there always will be a different in ideas on new and old school choppers depends on what your style is. i give mad props to anyone who can build a bike in 30days and ride them all the miles they did. most painters cant even paint in that time let alone build a bike.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:45 AM

Hawkeye,

I didn't the last few weeks of American Choopers, but from what I hear it is a great show. When Paul JR. and Paul SR. argue, it reminds me of when my family and I owned and operated an auto repair shop, my dad and I always argued for no apparant reason. I guess that may be the part why we now get along with each other. Anyway, that show rocks. I wish I could afford a bike like the Comanche or the 9-11-01 Fire Fighter Bike. I have other great sites that you can check out for great choppers. ?. are you going to Strats tomorrow? I am new to this site and the whole group ride thing, I would like to meet others that like riding as I do. Maybe tomorrow I will see you there??

www.mcchoppers.com
www.midwestchoppers.com

Dennis
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:09 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I'll really be odd here I liked them all If I could I would own them all, I would But if I had to chose one, just one.....it would be Lane's bike. These really aren't bikes, but sculpture, that you can ride. Every jury furniture show I have entered, I always get a judge commenting, "Looks like a piece of art, but does it function?" Art isn't perfect, it's a visualization of what the artist believes is perfection, and nothing more boring than perfection, it's bland. If perfection is what you seek, buy a Honda.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:15 AM

Lane does indeed build some nice bikes. The one I like the most so far is a gold colored Knucklehead he did. It was featured in Easy Riders about a year ago. All the controls were custom made and shaped like little flames. The bottle for the oiler was an airlines Jack Daiels bottle tipped upside down. I also like Chica's bikes. Each one is custom fitted to the owner. The guys at S&S put together a beautiful chopper based on a S&S 100 ci Sportster engine this year for Sturgis. It was all done in a silver matte finish. It had that industrial look. Hell, I like em all.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Speedracer76,

I am not sure if I am going tonight but if I do show up I will look for you. I am the skinny blond kid on a yeller '99 CBR F4. Maybe see you tonight.

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode