Hydroplane---Read info - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Talking Hydroplane---Read info

I recieved this email and did some checking---The facts in this are true. I never thought about it much cause i; well never thought about it! Maybe this can help a few members out!

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and
totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore, Texas, she was traveling
between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessive, when her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air.

She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden
occurrence! When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know -NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain. But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplane - when your tires loose contact with the pavement your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

We all know you have little or no control over a car when it
begins to hydroplane. You are at the mercy of the Good Lord.
The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling
through the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the cruise control.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the
drivers seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY -along with the airbag warning.

We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a
safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only
when the pavement is dry.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:58 PM

never thought about it but it makes sense.

does this count as the something new i learned today? If so, can I go home now???
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I had a little hydrplane experience this weekend on the way home from Milwaukee. I was behind a semi and it's tires were pushing the water aside leaving deeper water next to them. As I hit some of the standing water that was pushed aside the bike stepped over to the right about a foot, front first then rear close behind. Both the wifey and I had our hearts in our throats for a few seconds. Then we both said, "Did you feel that?". It happened on I88 eastbound just past the 355 exchange where all the roads pass overhead. Yikes!

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Quote:
Originally posted by SloRoll
I had a little hydrplane experience this weekend on the way home from Milwaukee. I was behind a semi and it's tires were pushing the water aside leaving deeper water next to them. As I hit some of the standing water that was pushed aside the bike stepped over to the right about a foot, front first then rear close behind. Both the wifey and I had our hearts in our throats for a few seconds. Then we both said, "Did you feel that?". It happened on I88 eastbound just past the 355 exchange where all the roads pass overhead. Yikes!
Okay Chuck tell the truth here--------Was the pants wet from the rain or something else????

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
Okay Chuck tell the truth here--------Was the pants wet from the rain or something else????
Luckily, if it was something else, the rain washed it away before I got home.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:56 PM

I read this too somewhere else. I would say it's mostly ture, but it will depend on the car. Most "good" cruise control system will have an interlock where the system will shut off if the RPM's rapidly increase or if the car begins losing speed in a given gear. Also many new cars have traction control of some kind.

On the other hand, the problem is, that a lot of new cars have very little feel of the road.... and most drivers can't tell if they are beginning to hydroplane. Sports cars and economy cars may not be very comfy or luxurious, but they have excellent road feel.

Personally if my car did have CC, I would only use it in very light traffic where there is at least 200 yards or more between cars and only on dry or wet pavement, but never with any standing water.... that's just stupid to use CC with standing water on the road at high speeds.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:20 PM

Re: Hydroplane---Read info

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog

A 36 year old female
enough said
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:46 PM

Sportbike: '08 FZ-1
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to phlflyrsfan
Actually the cruise control on my car ('02 Grand Prix) automatically shuts off if the traction system detects the car slipping.

Phlflyrsfan - Andy

AMA Member
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:06 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
Originally posted by phlflyrsfan
Actually the cruise control on my car ('02 Grand Prix) automatically shuts off if the traction system detects the car slipping.
if we were all so lucky....my '93 explorer doesn't auto shutoff which lead to an interesting experience one night.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Same on the Jag

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 08:24 AM

i dont understand how you can travel faster than the set speed on the cruise control. any system should limit the power once you increase your speed.

i never use cruise anyways. i like being "in control"

speaking of rain. i got caught in a huge strom on 88 once. my tires are pretty bald and i got stuck going 30-35 otherwise i would hydroplane. suvs were flying past me at like 80 in this monsoon. crazy drivers.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DriveATransAm
i dont understand how you can travel faster than the set speed on the cruise control. any system should limit the power once you increase your speed.
The problem is that it continues ot apply throttle even thoug hthe tires have no traction. I would expect it to be a bigger problem on a large RWD car where the rear end would walk around on you and the CC would keep appylign power until you hit the brakes, which would in trun cause the car to come around even faster.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 10:45 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't the cruise control maintain a constant speed. If your drive wheels lost traction and sped up the cruise control would slow them, not speed up.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't the cruise control maintain a constant speed. If your drive wheels lost traction and sped up the cruise control would slow them, not speed up.

I guess the problem is that wiht CC, when you hit deep enough water to hydroplane, instead of your car naturalyl slowing down, the CC will apply more throttle to maintain the speed and possibly even downshfit. This additional throttle application, could be enough to break the wheel loose, once that happens the car will typically begien ot slide sideways.

The biggest problem is that the car is going too fast, not so much that the CC is on, but wihtout the feedbakc from the throttle, the driver may realize too late that they are going too fast.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544

Agreed!

And please explain to me how you pick up speed while the tires are spinning on the wet pavement...

Let alone the story of the car traveling 10-15 mph faster .....and in the air????????/ come on good story, she must of had a great set of ----

This is gonna hurt!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Oh yea, and people that dont use cruise control on the highway drive me frikkin nuts....

how many times have you gotten passed by the same idiot that cannot hold a consistant speed??

This is gonna hurt!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:05 AM

i never get passed and i dont use cruise

anyways.. if youre going downhill, youre wheels will be spinning faster than at say the set 55 mph cruise control. weather your tires are spinning faster cause of a loss of traction or going downhill, the car will cut power. youre saying that if you go down a hill that it will speed up since the wheels are spinning quicker than what they are supposed to. now if the car hydroplanes at 55 mph and thats what the cruise is set to...then you got a problem.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:55 PM
CLSB RESIDENT REDNECK!!!!

Sportbike: Used to have a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i Red/Black
Years Riding: 9 Years on n off
How you found us: SBN

Quote:

Same thing on my'97 Monte

Mark

2001 F4i Red/Black ( She Gone )
2003 GMC Sierra Z71 Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
lol It's even typed in redneck!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Chuck Norris once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally posted by HooliganZX6
Oh yea, and people that dont use cruise control on the highway drive me frikkin nuts....

how many times have you gotten passed by the same idiot that cannot hold a consistant speed??

Thats why I love cruise, I set it for 9 over the limit, and try to stay in the right lane. I don't pick up any silly speeding tickets anymore, I get awesome gas mileage and the wifey isn't always saying "Your going too fast!!"

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode