Late model Chevy Truck Questions - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Late model Chevy Truck Questions

I know there are a lot of truck guys out there. So I'm asking you this...

I know I want a 6 ft bed or more. Ext Cab. 4 x 4. 100k miles or less. Auto. I'll be using the truck for 4x8 sheets, lumber, landscaping, tools, hauling the bike and towing smaller trailers. I never owned a truck before.

I have about 15k to spend on a late model truck. At first I was looking at Toyota's, but the Tacoma's are just to small for me. Tundra's are to new to be under 15k.

I dislike ford's and dodge's. No offense guys. So this leaves me with Chevy. Besides, my brother is a GM mechanic.

I narrowed the search down to 99 or newer 1500 or 2500 Chevy trucks. I'm looking for all the likes and dislike of these trucks with owner's experiences. Any factory recalls I should worry about? Gas Mileage? Whatever you think would be important for me to make a buying decision.

The truck will also be a daily driver for me.

By the way: I found a white 99 2500 (might be a HD), ext cab, 8 ft bed, 4 x 4, auto. Don't know how many miles on it, probably around 100k. 11.9k. No dents, rust. Looks great.

Last edited by paul72777; 09-08-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:08 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I have a 1994 Chevy silverado Ext cab 1500 with roughly 130,000 miles on it. I have done very very little maintenance to it other than required. Oil blah blah blah. I love my truck and it still runs hard and strong!!

Great now saying that it's gonna die on the way home!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:10 PM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000
How you found us: SBN

I have a friend who *may* be selling a '98 black Z71. if you would like, i can get more info on it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Grasshopper

I have a 96 S-10 with a 175k on it and the truck has always treated me rite. It has the V6 Vortek and I get about 250 miles per tank. I have no problem pulling a two bike trailer all day long.

The only thing that I have to do every year is change the "oil cooler lines" they leek around the metal crimp. I've had the truck for about 6 years now. I put helper leafs on it for a heavier load and ride height and it helped alot. I change the oil every 3k. Its payed for, I'm driving it unitl the wheels fall off.

Just change the oil bro, and the Vorteks will run forever.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:28 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I had a '93 suburban that ran strong the day I got rid of it with 198,000 on it with the 5.7 in it. My new suburban has the 5.3 in it and it has been bulletproof. My brother had a '96 1/2 ton GMC that he had until 145,000. These new engines are slick. Maintain them and drive em.

BTW, I get about 17 on the highway with my 5.3 and a 4.10 rear end. Mines a heavy truck though. P/U's may do a little better. Mine definately cannot be my daily driver.

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Just consider the heaviest thing you will put in the back. My guess with what you described I would definatly get at least a 250 or 2500 (depending on manufacturer) But also consider this. A 350 or 3500 will definatly carry your load and you can usually find them cheaper cause noone wants the rough ride of a 350. I have a 250 ford and wish I had a 350 cause in the winter I plow and the extra security of when I haul all the salt would be great. Also when looking keep in mind extra packages (snow plow prep, trailer prep, camper prep) also will beef up the suspension.

As far as engine if you brother is a gm mech ask him what particular year you should stay away from. It isn't the engine as much as the trans and transfercase. They are usually the things the manufacturers cahnge and can have problems with!!!!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:36 PM

a 1500 should be fine for your needs. i tow my car with my tahoe fine. i think in 2000 they changed to a more powerful 5.3 motor. or maybe it was 99. one thing thats bad with the gm trucks are the front suspension parts get worn quickly and are kinda noisy.

while i dont have a pickup truck, i love the way my tahoe handles. basically its like a shortbed truck though. i drive a 01 dodge ram at work. it drives like shit compared to mine. i would def get a gm truck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:38 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
I have an 02 Silverado 1500 and I love it. If you're gonna be doing alot of towing/hauling I'd stay away from the V6, it's fine for regular driving but load the truck up and it has its tongue hanging out. I've had mine loaded to the top of the bed rails with drywall and the suspension was not even on the bumpstops but if you're going to be hauling dirt and stuff I'd go with at least a 3/4 ton. The new body style (99-up for 1/2 ton, 00-up for everything else i think) trucks seem to dent pretty damn easy too, I've gotten more little dents and dings for stupid reasons on this truck than anything else that I've owned. Other than that I'm really happy with it. If you don't mind not having power windows and stuff, try to find a strippo work truck version as they are much cheaper.

-Ryan
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:53 PM

Sportbike: Hayabusa
Years Riding: Six years
How you found us: Other website

No Ford? Bah, I love my Bronco. Tows, rides rough and gets 12 MPG with the 5.8. It's my daily. I love it.

Ross

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode