Motorcyclists Matter - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

View Poll Results: Do you support Motorcyclist Matter?
Yes, I support the program 10 76.92%
No, I don't support the program 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '08 FZ-1
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to phlflyrsfan
Motorcyclists Matter

Do you support the American Motorcycle Association (AMA) Motorcyclists Matter Campain?

The campain is pushing legislation for minimum penalties for accidents involving vulnerable road users (motorcycles, bicycles, etc).

Here's the proposed penalties:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Whoever is convicted of or pleads guilty to a right-of-way violation (or a violation of section xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, etc.,.) in which the offender is found to have caused injury, in addition to any other penalties, shall be fined $200 and shall have their driver's or commercial driver's license or permit or nonresident operating privilege suspended for 30 days.

2) Whoever is convicted of or pleads guilty to a right-of-way violation (or a violation of section xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, etc.,.) in which the offender is found to have caused serious bodily injury, in addition to any other penalties, shall be fined $500 and shall have their driver's or commercial driver's license or permit or nonresident operating privilege suspended for 90 days.

3) Whoever is convicted of or pleads guilty to a right-of-way violation (or a violation of section xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, etc.,.) in which the offender is found to have caused a fatality, in addition to any other penalties, shall be fined $1,000 and shall have their driver's or commercial driver's license or permit or nonresident operating privilege suspended for 6 months.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for more information about the program.

So let's here it.... what's your opinion on this?

Phlflyrsfan - Andy

AMA Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I'm not saying it's a good thing or bad, but no cager is going to even know about this until after they're guilty of it, which kind of defeats the purpose.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 12:52 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

I would prefer a more proactive campaign...commercial spots about motorcycle road rights and motorcycle capabilities. If cagers knew how their driving actions might endanger a motorcyclist, I think the roads would be much safer. This type of law will not have a preventive effect. Anyway, the fine/$$$ should go the victim/victim's family, not to the state.

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 09-09-2003 at 12:56 AM.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 06:08 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
The reasons why cagers aren't aware of motorcyclists, is cause gas here is so damn cheap You may think, I have lost it (never had "it") but I have lived in cities in Europe where bikes and cars are about equal in numbers, why do these countries have so many bikers? Because in Italy gas is almost $8.00 a gallon, what are you going to drive? A SUV that gets 10 mph or a bike that gets anywhere from 40 to 50 mph. No one here will pay attention to us as long as there are so few of us! I can guarentee if gas doubles in price, you would suddenly see more people on bikes. Then in this country you have the f__king Harley mentality, only the scum of the earth ride, and in the big picture who cares if a low life buys it. If you tell a non rider, that you ride, I guarentee one of two statements will come out of their mouth, 1) What kind of Harley do you ride? or 2) Funny you don't look like you ride a Harley.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
I'm not saying it's a good thing or bad, but no cager is going to even know about this until after they're guilty of it, which kind of defeats the purpose.
I agree. A more proactive campaign is needed. To be honest, I'm not sure there is much you can do, other than run a shit load of commercials early spring when the riding season starts. I think a better solution might be to increase the use of safety gear and havign riders pay closer attention to what cars are doing around them and be proctive about riding in a conspcous manner...bright colored, high contrast helmet, suing high beams during the day, staying visible and not blending with traffic.

The last ticket I got was doing 85 in a 55 on 294. I don;t go that fast jsut because it's fun or because i was in a hurry... ti's because I feel safer and more in control when I'm constatly passign the cars around me.

I was with a slwo rider once doing 60-65 on I-94. It was muc hscarier and took more focus and atention going that slow IMO that I does ot go 100mph zippign through traffic, becuase going 60, I had to constatly look in my mirrors ot make sure my companion wasn't getting dropped and to make sure a semi wouldn't run us over.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Grasshopper

We should do an experiment. Lets mount a camera to one of our bikes and take a ride down town and ride in a safe manner (no stunts) going the speed limit or 5 or 10 over (within reason).

Then lets take the same ride at the same pace Cherrypicker was talking he feels comfortable, which I'm sure most of us feel the same. It's true that moving through traffic instead of staying stagnent in traffic is a safer means of moving down an expressway on bike.

Along the way we can edit and point out hazards, the way cagers dont pay attention to us, dumb fucks yackin on cell phones, how they tail gate bikes. How cagers always turn left in front of us to.

After we do this we can send our results to the IDOT and the AMA and try to get more publicity for safer riding and to make people more aware that we are here and use Illinois road ways.

AND NO, YOU DONT HAVE TO RIDE A HARLEY TO BE A BIKER ALL YOU CAGER ASSHOLES.

I think if we can get enough of us together to make a fund we can get some sort of publicity out of it. I think the spring time is a good time to have a 15 second commercial on TV.

HOW MUCH COULD IT POSSIBLY COST?

I'm almost postive we can get the area radio stations to say something about motorcycles and to watch out for them.

I've heard 96.7 will rock say keep your eye out for motorcycles.

People will listen and pay attention if we put enough time and effort into it. But thats the problem rite? Nobody wants to give that time and effort.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:41 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:
Originally posted by RickC1957
The reasons why cagers aren't aware of motorcyclists, is cause gas here is so damn cheap You may think, I have lost it (never had "it") but I have lived in cities in Europe where bikes and cars are about equal in numbers, why do these countries have so many bikers? Because in Italy gas is almost $8.00 a gallon, what are you going to drive? A SUV that gets 10 mph or a bike that gets anywhere from 40 to 50 mph. No one here will pay attention to us as long as there are so few of us! I can guarentee if gas doubles in price, you would suddenly see more people on bikes. Then in this country you have the f__king Harley mentality, only the scum of the earth ride, and in the big picture who cares if a low life buys it. If you tell a non rider, that you ride, I guarentee one of two statements will come out of their mouth, 1) What kind of Harley do you ride? or 2) Funny you don't look like you ride a Harley.
Are you calling me scum??????

I ride both a HD and a sportbike. I don't mind getting teased about what I ride once in a while, but your post is not about teasing. If you are indeed calling me scum, why don't you show up at Strats and say it to my face?

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '08 FZ-1
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to phlflyrsfan
So far I am the lone vote for not supporting the program.

I'll start by saying I absolutely agree that there needs to be more public awareness of motorcycles. I think TV ads throughout the riding season would be a good start. I also think that driver education courses should put more emphasis on motorcyclist and other smaller vehicles on the roads.

My problem with the program is with putting minimum sentencing requirements into the law. I generaly don't support minimum sentancing requirements for any law, including traffic laws. The decision of what punishment somebody should get is suppose to be in the hands of the judge. Every case is different and it should be up to the judge to look at the facts of that case as well as other mitigating factors and decide what is appropriate. As much as we don't like to admit it everybody makes mistakes and sometimes accidents just happen. Now, if there is a certain judge (as there are) that just don't care about motorcyclists or is know to be easy on criminals, then they should be voted from office. But don't remove power from the good judges because of the few idiots.

Phlflyrsfan - Andy

AMA Member
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM

I'm not a fan of more laws. I do however agree that there is a great need for a motorcycle awareness program. The media should be involved and the seriousness of the problem shoud be adressed with all the graphic visuals they usually reserve for DUI commercials.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

slowroll, trust me i think you took that the wrong way, i think he meant it as the OUTSIDERS of bikers, that stuck up people look down on harley guys as scum, and rocket riders as assholes.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
slowroll, trust me i think you took that the wrong way, i think he meant it as the OUTSIDERS of bikers, that stuck up people look down on harley guys as scum, and rocket riders as assholes.
I hope I did take it the wrong way. I'd hate to think that there were people with that attitude on the forum.

If I did take it the wrong way, well....nevermind.

Else....

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by SloRoll

I ride both a HD and a sportbike. I don't mind getting teased about what I ride once in a while, but your post is not about teasing. If you are indeed calling me scum, why don't you show up at Strats and say it to my face?
His statement is a generalization of people that dont ride, not a statement of his own. Unfortunately he is right, people often make incorrect stereotypes as this.

Chris
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

you calling me an asshole?
hahahhaha

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SloRoll

Nope not calling you scum bro, I'm calling the dude on the HD that flipped me the bird on the Labor Day Weekend for waving to his group on my way home on the Fizzer. You my friend are a REAL rider And why don't you show up on one of my breakfast rides and I'll talk to you face to face. My face is already all over this website, I don't hide behind an avatar Maybe I should

Rick

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
His statement is a generalization of people that dont ride, not a statement of his own. Unfortunately he is right, people often make incorrect stereotypes as this.
thank you Chris...... you read my mind....it was a short read wasn't it

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:35 AM

When you ride both sportbike and cruiser you end up with a short fuse, a hair trigger so to speak in regards to what people say regarding either. I'll ride either of my bikes into or around anywhere. I've taken my sportbike to Harley hangouts and I've taken my HD to sportbike hangouts. It's the person not the people that make the problems. I'm always glad to meet everyone here.

If someone on a HD flipped you the bird for no reason other than the kind of bike you're on, HE is an a$$hole. And I bet his buddies know it and don't appreciate it either unless they're a bunch of RUB's.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:38 AM

I kind of like the camera idea.... just need to keep the speeds within reason (no more than 15-20 over...typically 10mph over)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
I kind of like the camera idea.... just need to keep the speeds within reason (no more than 15-20 over...typically 10mph over)
Well phaze 2 of the experiment, would have to be speeding pretty good to move through traffic going into the city.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

One of my fears is getting a speeding ticket when I'm trying to stay ahead of traffic. I know a cop doesn't give a damn whether we feel more comfortable because we had to speed to get there.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 AM

I don't support it either...because of the LAME punishment they want to dish out. Kill someone on a bike and they only want an additional 1k and 6 month suspension?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode