Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Garage door - motor issues?

4K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  YZFRob 
#1 ·
I have a 2 year old Chamberlain garage door opener that I believe crapped out.

When pressing the open/close button, the machine moves the door only by couple of feet in either direction.

In manual mode, the door opens and closes fine, so the door alignment is not the issue.

I've tried adjusting the door level on the back of the machine, but that didn't do much.

If the motor crapped out, is replacing it a relatively easy DIY project, or is a professional required?

Thx

#6 ·
If the sensors are aligned the opener may need readjustment. There should be two adjustment screws on the box. One for up other for down. But unless you know what you're doing you could make it worse. My brother and father are garage door installers so I'm only spitting out what I think the issue may be based on the work talk I tend overhear.

#7 ·
I can come by and fix it, if your working just have your G/f let me in. I can show her whats wrong with you - i mean-:jester the garage door!

#12 ·
The motor is easy to get in and out but the actual motors don't go bad that often. I'm thinking the same as Drama. Take the cover off and see if there are shavings around the gears. If the gears are worn they are about $30.00. You can order the parts on line from any number of places. Pretty easy to get the gears off and new ones on by yourself.

#13 ·
Your RPM sensor is more than likely the culprit. On some of the chamberlains they have a diagnostic code that you can read by counting the times the lights flash on the opener. If it flashes 5 times it is the rpm sensor code.
Open up the cover and check to make sure that the sensor is plugged in. If it is, order a new rpm sensor. They are pretty cheap, like $15.

I know for sure it's not your photo eyes, motor or gear so don't even bother with that.

#17 ·
Your RPM sensor is more than likely the culprit. On some of the chamberlains they have a diagnostic code that you can read by counting the times the lights flash on the opener. If it flashes 5 times it is the rpm sensor code.
Open up the cover and check to make sure that the sensor is plugged in. If it is, order a new rpm sensor. They are pretty cheap, like $15.

I know for sure it's not your photo eyes, motor or gear so don't even bother with that.

This guy used to (still does?) install and repair garage door openers. He probably knows what he's talking about.

It can't hurt to check for torn gears, but I don't believe they have enough teeth to move 3' and stop. At least it's easy to remove that as a possibility, and easy to replace if it's the problem (I fixed my parents gears when I was 14).

#18 ·
If the gears (worm gear and drive gear) are stripped it may move the door until it hits the dead (worn) spot on the gears. This is exactly the symptom that my door opener had when the gears were worn. These gears are made of some sort of white plastic or hard nylon type material. When they wear they leave behind shavings from the wear. The gears wearing out is one of the most common failure items with garage door openers according to Chamberlain. I have some PDF's of the instructions and parts if it is the gears. I tried to attach them here but they are too large and would not attach. If you want to PM me your email address I'd be happy to send you the PDF's. They have some nice pics/diagrams of the parts in question.
You mentioned it was a chain drive system. Another possible failure item on the chain drive (although not anywhere near as common) is up on top where the drive gear axle exits the opener housing on top of the unit. The chain attaches to the opening sprocket at this point. There is a possibility that the bushing that keeps the axle straight and aligned on the top of the opener housing box has worn out and the axle and opening sprocket may not be aligned. You should be able to see this by taking off the sprocket cover cap retainer. It is normally a small black plastic cover cap the covers the chain and opening sprocket on the top of the garage door opener. The cover just snaps into place with a retainer clip type of system. Just squeeze it a bit and you should be able to lift the cap cover off. Remove that cap cover and hit the opener button. If that top bushing is bad the opening sprocket and axle will be wobbling as it starts spinning as the axle will no longer be held firmly in place. Either way if the gears are worn it is better to order the entire drive gear assembly instead of just the worm and drive gears. It is about $2-3 more in cost for the entire assembly. As an assembly it is much easier to replace IMO as you don't have to waste time removing the old drive gear from the axle assembly. Once you see the PDF's it should all make a lot more sense.

#23 ·
Suggestion!!!

Your post seems like you are really in a trouble with the garage door!!
Isn't it?? So why don't you replace it?? As you said its a 2 years old, then if it is possible try to replace it with a new and suitable garage door!!
Considering me few years back when i was also facing the same problems but then i replaced with a more suitable and with good quality garage door and believe me it approx 3-4 years I didn't got any kind of problem!!

#24 ·
Your post seems like you are really in a trouble with the garage door!!
Isn't it?? So why don't you replace it?? As you said its a 2 years old, then if it is possible try to replace it with a new and suitable garage door!!
Considering me few years back when i was also facing the same problems but then i replaced with a more suitable and with good quality garage door and believe me it approx 3-4 years I didn't got any kind of problem!!
I"m guessing spam?

2 years old is nothing on a door/opener. Manually the door works fine, so I doubt its the door

When I replaced the gear assembly on my parents opener, I remember it being from 1997? or something, and its still working fine to this day

Partially stripped gears is my guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.