Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

BP to increase dumping in Lake Michigan

973 views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  Arch 
#1 ·
Chicago Trib ran an article on this last Sunday about BP being allowed to dump more pollution into Lake Michigan.

There's an online petition to oppose it. Everybody go sign up

#17 ·
Water dumped in the lake...all water that's put out there by the city is cleaned, but not disinfected. So clean but infected water is floating around out there. What's become better is the cleaning process compared to what used to be...in terms of bacteria it's still worse.

#19 ·
I thought that da pond's major source of contamination is the wastewater from the steel mills and the sewers... hence the beach closures due to E.Coli and bacteria. Granted BP doesn't seem to make it better by throwing their shit in the mix. Has there been a definitive study of the actual pollutants and their SOURCE?

You would think that with Fuhrer Daley pushing for the Olympics to come to Chicago, he would make Lake Michigan cleanup a priority? It might be bad PR if the Olympic Committee got a money shot of a swimmer next to a floater.

#21 ·
a 50% increase in ammonia discharge. WooHoo!

If it's so harmless, why don't they put a bottled water plant next door and make a buck w/ all this clean water they have?

Seems like these capitalists are missing a grand opportunity... Maybe share the investment w/ Coke..

#23 ·
i work for BP. now before i catch hell....i got nothing to do with the water treatment. the lakefront unit is its own little place right along the shore line. wat exactly they do over there cant tell ya....dont have access over there. i do know alittle bit though...routine stuff that applies for everyone ya know... they have been doin alot of zebra mucsle kills. supposed to go through october they say. i know that everything that goes through our sewer sytems..raw crude, desalted crude, jet fuel, HMD...blah blah...everything goes through filters strainers chemical analsyis before it goes back into the lake. if some major shit gets out...the EPA, coast guard, OSHA are all up in our asses. we get fined millionos and millions of dollars everytime we have a spill out into the lake. now im not stikin up for the company but dont blame us for the dirty water...blame the EPA or whoever it is that allows this to happen. but if they say its ok then i dont think our top guys...whoever the fuck they are, are gonna do anything about it. do i agree wit it...not so much. i just work here....im not smart enough to be salary paid ha!

#24 ·
Skeezy,

You hit on *THE* most important part.. They will only do what's required, which is not necessarily what's right. They clean it just enough to fall within the rules. The rub is good clean water legislation hasn't passed since 1987, if memory serves. I could be wrong there, but I think every attempt to do something significant about it is always thwarted by lobbyists paid by companies like BP, Mobil, Exxon, and god knows how many others who whine bitch and moan about how much it would cost them to change the standards. BooHoo, 40 Billion a year isn't enough profit... and it's obviously cheaper to spend money on lobbyists to block attempts that would make them spend money on better cleanup efforts that would benefit the planet's bottom line.

I'm so glad I work from home and buy gas very infrequently.

#25 ·
yea and all the top officials always say that safety is there number one concern....yea bull fucking shit! its all about the money it always is. granted this is a damn good job and union protected, but hate this damn place. too much shadiness around here. everything is so hush hush us operators dont have a clue as to wats goin on. we just hear everything through the vine but of course its all here-say until there is an actual statement or sumthin. to be honest this is the first ive heard about this stuff. never watch TV anymore and barely read the paper...and then im always here. im here right now lol. your whole required statement made me think of office space when jennifer anistons boss was givin her that whole speech lol. im just that bored!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.