Laptop Recommendations - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Geek Squad to the rescue! fucken computer crashing on you again? another porn site infected your computer? tierd of your wife seeing your anal fisting videos and want to lock her out of the external HD? get the answers you need from our local computer experts.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Laptop Recommendations

Looking for new laptops (Macs are out for complications with our server).

Looking at the Dell E5410 and the Lenovo T410, anything else in this size range?

I like the Lenovo for the switching Nvidia graphics card - i7 processor and 9 cell battery. Dont really like the Dell at all.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I am the Stig.
 
JRobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,763
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.
         
JRobbins is offline  
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Will tell you the same thing I tell everyone else who asks this question:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/what...-should-i-buy/

Read the 2nd Sticky... fill it out & post there.
Bek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
1) What is your budget?
Unlimited

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Lenovo
b. Dislike: Toshiba and HP (no real reason for the HP)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Word, outlook, proprietary heat transfer programs, access, autocad

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
No games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
At least 2 (ideally 6-9)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Online is ok - in person a big plus

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 7

12) Screen
Highest resolution with flat screen available for particular size.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered User
 
Gone In 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas/Chicago
Posts: 5,771
Location: Texas/Chicago
Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks
           
Gone In 3 is offline  
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Hows the build quality. My dell after 3 years literally has screws falling out of it.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered User
 
Gone In 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas/Chicago
Posts: 5,771
Location: Texas/Chicago
Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
Hows the build quality. My dell after 3 years literally has screws falling out of it.
Looked solid.
Gone In 3 is offline  
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
-= OuterSpace =-
 
OldSkoolMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Posts: 3,513
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle
           
I buy a ton of these > http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/la...668,5750890737


Very good machines.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
OldSkoolMC is offline  
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Holy shit just configured it and its like twice the price of the lenovo - and I am not sure why.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
post THERE
... not here.

The folks on those forums are rabid virg... err, enthusiasts and know their shit very very well. They can answer your question far more authoritatively than any of us here.
Bek is offline  
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered User
 
Gone In 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas/Chicago
Posts: 5,771
Location: Texas/Chicago
Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks
           
I've had horrible experience with Dell laptops. Their desktops seem fine.
Gone In 3 is offline  
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC View Post
I buy a ton of these > http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/la...668,5750890737


Very good machines.
That will only go up to i5 processor (not sure if its that big of a loss), some guys have those in the office, but I dont want 15.6"

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
-= OuterSpace =-
 
OldSkoolMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Posts: 3,513
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
That will only go up to i5 processor (not sure if its that big of a loss), some guys have those in the office, but I dont want 15.6"
They make a smaller screen version of those too.

You can get i7s in those. Click on tech specs:

Intel® CoreTM i7 (720QM, 640M)
Intel® CoreTM i5 (580M, 520M)
Intel® CoreTM i3 (380M)

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
OldSkoolMC is offline  
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
-= OuterSpace =-
 
OldSkoolMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Posts: 3,513
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle
           
14.1 >


http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/la...FileVariation2

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
OldSkoolMC is offline  
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Registered User
 
ajw85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 781
Location: Lakeview
Sportbike: Monster
Years Riding: 1+
How you found us: googles
    
I have an Asus UL30VT
Great laptop
the updated version with Nvidia's Optimus is even better.
They come in 13", 14" and 15" sizes, UL30, UL80 and UL50.
Check em out.

Check this out too.
http://www.culv-laptops.com/
ajw85 is offline  
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC View Post
They make a smaller screen version of those too.

You can get i7s in those. Click on tech specs:

Intel® CoreTM i7 (720QM, 640M)
Intel® CoreTM i5 (580M, 520M)
Intel® CoreTM i3 (380M)
Do you see any advantage to dell over lenovo?

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw85 View Post
I have an Asus UL30VT
Great laptop
the updated version with Nvidia's Optimus is even better.
They come in 13", 14" and 15" sizes, UL30, UL80 and UL50.
Check em out.

Check this out too.
http://www.culv-laptops.com/
This is for work, so I need the 3-4 year entire everything warranty and I am not seeing that on the Asus stuff.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
-= OuterSpace =-
 
OldSkoolMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Posts: 3,513
Location: Homer Glen, MaDaFaKa!
Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
Do you see any advantage to dell over lenovo?
In my opinion.. better warranty.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
OldSkoolMC is offline  
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Liberal Slayer
 
Achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Posts: 379
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Sportbike: Yamaha R6
Years Riding: Not Long Enough!
How you found us: I saw smoke signals
       
Since you are not a budget disregard the 5410s. The 6410s are much better and not much more $$$.

Dell Latitude 6410s with i7 / Windows 7 pro 64 bit / 8GBram / 7200RPM SATAs or SSD if you can justify\ Backlit keyboards \ 14.1" WXGA+ LED \ intel WiFi \ camera \ Bluetooth\ big battery\ Complete care warranty (in case you spill coffee in it or leave it on top of your car). I have a couple at my office spec'ed above and they FLY with SSDs.

My company cares for thousands of D and E model latitudes. The D's are built like brick sh#$ houses and you need to abuse them to break them. The E's are lighter but still built well. Magnesium is used in the shell instead of plastic. I cannot image you have a latitude thats falling apart unless someone is hard on it. It must be an Insipron or Vosto or something. All plastic laptops will fall apart regardless of maker.

Second choice is Lenovo - The quality is slowly coming back to what it USED to be under IBM..Still plasticky(but durable) and still slower then it's competing laptops with the same specs. Still has the best "feeling keyboard" though IMO. Competing chassis is T410.

Dell makes a sweet 13" called the latitude 13. It looks like an airbook but costs under 1K. No optical drive though...Super portable but get an SSD in something like that.... It's so light it's easy to bump.
Achtung is offline  
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Heres what I would like now (I like the SSD, but Im still paranoid regarding reliability)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf doc20101109160100.pdf (61.2 KB, 3 views)

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Since you are not a budget disregard the 5410s. The 6410s are much better and not much more $$$.

Dell Latitude 6410s with i7 / Windows 7 pro 64 bit / 8GBram / 7200RPM SATAs or SSD if you can justify\ Backlit keyboards \ 14.1" WXGA+ LED \ intel WiFi \ camera \ Bluetooth\ big battery\ Complete care warranty (in case you spill coffee in it or leave it on top of your car). I have a couple at my office spec'ed above and they FLY with SSDs.

My company cares for thousands of D and E model latitudes. The D's are built like brick sh#$ houses and you need to abuse them to break them. The E's are lighter but still built well. Magnesium is used in the shell instead of plastic. I cannot image you have a latitude thats falling apart unless someone is hard on it. It must be an Insipron or Vosto or something. All plastic laptops will fall apart regardless of maker.

Second choice is Lenovo - The quality is slowly coming back to what it USED to be under IBM..Still plasticky(but durable) and still slower then it's competing laptops with the same specs. Still has the best "feeling keyboard" though IMO. Competing chassis is T410.

Dell makes a sweet 13" called the latitude 13. It looks like an airbook but costs under 1K. No optical drive though...Super portable but get an SSD in something like that.... It's so light it's easy to bump.

Maybe im doing something wrong, but I cant get the 6410s with an i7, all that it allows me to select is i5 and only up to 4 gigs of ram,.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Liberal Slayer
 
Achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Posts: 379
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Sportbike: Yamaha R6
Years Riding: Not Long Enough!
How you found us: I saw smoke signals
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
Maybe im doing something wrong, but I cant get the 6410s with an i7, all that it allows me to select is i5 and only up to 4 gigs of ram,.
Hmm. Make sure you are not under dell's Home site or under "FastTrack" for the E6410. You want to select "performance" and then customize.

Here is a link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...latitude-e6410

I7 640 is a $200 option from stock.

I think I paid $1400 with specs above and a 128GB SSD. My guys dont need a ton of space. (I buy a lot of Dell so we get 30% of retail) 7 with office 2010and a bunch of apps is barely 42GB. My guys roll with small USB hard drives for .ISO storage. etc.

Since you have ACAD in house...Maybe the 500GB sata's are a good play.
Achtung is offline  
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Hmm. Make sure you are not under dell's Home site or under "FastTrack" for the E6410. You want to select "performance" and then customize.

Here is a link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...latitude-e6410

I7 640 is a $200 option from stock.

I think I paid $1400 with specs above and a 128GB SSD. My guys dont need a ton of space. (I buy a lot of Dell so we get 30% of retail) 7 with office 2010and a bunch of apps is barely 42GB. My guys roll with small USB hard drives for .ISO storage. etc.

Since you have ACAD in house...Maybe the 500GB sata's are a good play.
You want to give me a price for two laptops that match the config from Lenovo?

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Darren, will hook you up with what you need. otherwise pm me but he's hooked me up so he's your guy.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSpud View Post
Darren, will hook you up with what you need. otherwise pm me but he's hooked me up so he's your guy.
Darren, I got my licensing issues answered by microsoft. Downloaded all the ISO's I'll need and have all the eopen licenses need. My new SQL server gets in tomorrow. Should have it installed and all the databases migrated to the new server by the end of the weekend IF i don't have my kids this weekend. otherwise the conversion will happen by end of week or sometime next week. then we can do the ADM and other server upgrades after that.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSpud View Post
Darren, will hook you up with what you need. otherwise pm me but he's hooked me up so he's your guy.
Well rather than give the money to dell, Id like to send some to local guys.

What I have so far.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Dell Online Store_ Build Your System.pdf (32.8 KB, 3 views)

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
Well rather than give the money to dell, Id like to send some to local guys.

What I have so far.
JESUS, you're getting bent over.

I have a E6400 with XP on it for my xp lt and it was a grand even when I bought it a year or so ago.

I'll get a quote from my gold team for ya. and spending money locally on computers!!! LOCALLY! :l mao:

you realize ALL computers AND LAPTOPS ARE MADE in iNDIA, china, mexico, japan, korea, vietnam, shrilanka or somewhere outside of the US of A right?
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSpud View Post
JESUS, you're getting bent over.

I have a E6400 with XP on it for my xp lt and it was a grand even when I bought it a year or so ago.

I'll get a quote from my gold team for ya. and spending money locally on computers!!! LOCALLY! :l mao:

you realize ALL computers AND LAPTOPS ARE MADE in iNDIA, china, mexico, japan, korea, vietnam, shrilanka or somewhere outside of the US of A right?
Of course but I would assume your or whoever gets a cut of sales. I would rather have a cheaper price and you guys get a cut. Since computers are too high tech for unions they haven't force a built in US of A stickers on those.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
Of course but I would assume your or whoever gets a cut of sales. I would rather have a cheaper price and you guys get a cut. Since computers are too high tech for unions they haven't force a built in US of A stickers on those.
gotcha, you'll get updated pricing momentarily. I agree. I'd rather go through someone I know or someone on here for purchasing if the price and service are great.

social networking is fun.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSpud View Post
gotcha, you'll get updated pricing momentarily. I agree. I'd rather go through someone I know or someone on here for purchasing if the price and service are great.

social networking is fun.
It is, you guys need to start buying commercial HVAC equipment.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome