Android-Hurray for Open Source... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Geek Squad to the rescue! fucken computer crashing on you again? another porn site infected your computer? tierd of your wife seeing your anal fisting videos and want to lock her out of the external HD? get the answers you need from our local computer experts.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Android-Hurray for Open Source...

http://straightfurrow.farmonline.co....t/2162434.aspx



Google Android malware surges 400 per cent
ASHER MOSES
13 May, 2011 10:53 AM
There has been a 400 per cent increase in malware on Google's Android platform since the middle of last year and the problem is causing such concern that several Android anti-virus programs have been released.

There are over 200,000 applications on the Android Market today up from 50,000 a year ago but the huge growth in the platform has brought with it a rise in malicious apps designed to steal user data.

The issue highlights the flaws in Google's open, freewheeling approach compared to the tightly controlled nature of Apple's iTunes App Store.

The 400 per cent increase in malware figure is contained in a new study on mobile security released by Juniper Networks, which found that the application store was the biggest distribution point for malware on mobiles.

A malicious Android app known as DroidDream is believed to have infected about 50,000 Android users before Google began to remove it, with limited success.

"The last 18 months have produced a non-stop barrage of newsworthy threat events and while most had been aimed at traditional desktop computers, hackers are now setting their sights on mobile devices," said Jeff Wilson, principle analyst at Infonetics Research.

This week security firm Webroot released its Webroot Mobile Security for Android software, which is available on the Android Market. There is a free and paid version.

The Webroot software scans apps before they are installed to ensure they are safe, scans web links and URLs to block phishing attacks and can be used to remotely wipe all information from the phone in the event that it is stolen.

Security firm AVG has also released an Android anti-virus program.

At its I/O event in San Francisco this week, Google announced that over 100 million Android devices had been activated around the world.

Google's Hugo Barra also revealed that over 400,000 new Android devices are activated globally each day, up from 100,000 this time last year.

At the event Google gave a preview of the next version of Android, "Ice Cream Sandwich", which is designed to take the best parts of the Android Honeycomb tablet platform and bring them to Android smartphones.

But it's not just smartphones and tablets Google also announced plans for Android to power everything from smart light bulbs to appliances to sound systems.

Movie rentals and a music storage service are also coming via Google to the Android platform but this is only available for US users at this stage.

Asked whether the reported rise in Android malware meant anti-virus programs for the platform were desirable or necessary, a Google spokeswoman did not directly answer the question.

"We are committed to providing a secure Android Market experience for consumers," the spokeswoman said.

"Our approach includes clearly defined Android Market Content policies that developers must adhere to, plus a multi-layered security model based on user permissions and sandboxing.

"Applications in violation of our policies are removed from Android Market."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Jimbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
...?

Is this supposed to be scary & say that something that's Open Source is evil?
Bek is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM
TERRAdactyl
 
catwlights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 6,648
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: on the street since 01
How you found us: accidentally stepped in it
           
Send a message via Yahoo to catwlights
The writer should have ended the story with .... "well, duh."

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor
www.sportbiketracktime.com


Pushing the Limits of Life's Opportunities
catwlights is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

 
Vcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winfield
Posts: 43,230
Location: Winfield
Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!
           
Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by catwlights View Post
The writer should have ended the story with .... "well, duh."
Haha, derp derp

Chris
Vcook is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
...?

Is this supposed to be scary & say that something that's Open Source is evil?
It's not scary at all, I'm just sick of people saying they love Android because it's Open Source and probably 1) know nothing what open source is 2) has no need for it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Jimbo is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago Heights
Posts: 3,382
Location: Chicago Heights
Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link
           
Like every big fad, there are those who are stupid and dont really know anything about it or the capabilities and have the stupidest problems that to anyone with a brain isnt a problem at all. No problems with my droid, completely hacked, apps like crazy, wifi tethering, ect.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
michowski is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
Like every big fad, there are those who are stupid and dont really know anything about it or the capabilities and have the stupidest problems that to anyone with a brain isnt a problem at all. No problems with my droid, completely hacked, apps like crazy, wifi tethering, ect.
BUT you're not the normal, don't you work with computers for a living or something?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Jimbo is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Evanston
Posts: 175
Location: Evanston
Sportbike: HD V-ROD/Honda CBR1000RR
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
It's not scary at all, I'm just sick of people saying they love Android because it's Open Source and probably 1) know nothing what open source is 2) has no need for it.
wrong, people don't love android because it's open source. People love Android because it's OPEN(period). Android represents choice, crapple represents Control.

2004 Silver Honda CBR1000RR
2003 H.D. V-ROD
roman is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago Heights
Posts: 3,382
Location: Chicago Heights
Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
BUT you're not the normal, don't you work with computers for a living or something?
No but I do it as a hobby and for people for some side money. All i'm saying is the bad is heard louder then the good in most cases. You could have 100 positive experiences and 5 people just completely have negative and the ones with negative will be often times be considered in higher regard.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
michowski is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman View Post
wrong, people don't love android because it's open source. People love Android because it's OPEN(period). Android represents choice, crapple represents Control.
I think people love it because the phones are cheap and buy one get 1 free. I know a few people who got a Android phone for that reason.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Jimbo is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 PM
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Re: Android-Hurray for Open Source...

Quote:
Quote:
It's not scary at all, I'm just sick of people saying they love Android because...
wrong, people don't love android because it's open source. People love Android because it's OPEN(period). Android represents choice, crapple represents Control.
This. I love being able to flash new roms

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
Gone In 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas/Chicago
Posts: 5,771
Location: Texas/Chicago
Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks
           
Jimbo, whats your point here?
Gone In 3 is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:33 PM
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Re: Android-Hurray for Open Source...

That critical thinking by the end user is important regardless of phone system.

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

 
Vcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winfield
Posts: 43,230
Location: Winfield
Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!
           
Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Jimbo, whats your point here?
He's one of those apple fan boys that gets his rocks off trying to find fault with the other platforms. It's annoying and pretty standard for apple fans.

Chris
Vcook is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
He's one of those apple fan boys that gets his rocks off trying to find fault with the other platforms. It's annoying and pretty standard for apple fans.
actually I'm just sick of people telling me "Android is better, it's open source" and they have no clue what they are talking about. I should have renamed the title differently and I do apologize for it. I'm not attacking you guys, just pissed off at some of the "fandroids" I have to deal with.
At work we have the new Samsung Galaxy and they are having issues it crashing. The program we use is web based, so I just log using my iPhone and help them out, but they keep saying telling me that Android is better....
Sorry guys.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!

Last edited by Jimbo; 05-14-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Jimbo is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

 
Vcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winfield
Posts: 43,230
Location: Winfield
Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!
           
Send a message via AIM to Vcook
they all have their downfalls, some more than others.

Chris
Vcook is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Irony helps us play!
 
Arch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N'ville
Posts: 29,510
Location: N'ville
Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear
           
If people wouldn't install stupid shit on their phone that they have no idea what it does, who wrote it, but think it's 'cool' and therefore install it... this wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't matter what platform we're talking about. Anyone can write a BAD APP that does BAD THINGS and if you install it on your machine (laptop, phone, desktop computer, tablet, etc), you can get fucked by it.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....


Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Arch is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.
 
MoparBoyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 22,652
Location: Apopka, Florida
Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office
           
Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
If people wouldn't install stupid shit on their phone that they have no idea what it does, who wrote it, but think it's 'cool' and therefore install it... this wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't matter what platform we're talking about. Anyone can write a BAD APP that does BAD THINGS and if you install it on your machine (laptop, phone, desktop computer, tablet, etc), you can get fucked by it.
i think this is also a huge problem for windows. i have NEVER had a issue with windows, i dont run a anti-virus. i just dont click on crazy links or install some crazy 3rd party software on my PC..

i look at some peoples windows PCs and they have like MSN messenger, Facebook Messenger, MySpace messenger, AOL instant messenger, and 3 messenger services i have never even heard of. they all run when the computer is started then wonder why nothing works.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
MoparBoyy is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered User
 
Gone In 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas/Chicago
Posts: 5,771
Location: Texas/Chicago
Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
At work we have the new Samsung Galaxy and they are having issues it crashing. The program we use is web based, so I just log using my iPhone and help them out, but they keep saying telling me that Android is better....
Ah, so you decided to post on a motorcycle forum randomly to bash Android and to take your anger out -- which was originally intended towards your coworkers.

Got it!
Gone In 3 is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Android isnt bad, it does the job. I do like the 4.3 inch screen on droid phones though, I wish apple would open thier eyes and go with a big screen like that.

funny thing is I jailbroke my iphone to install miwi tethering. then I started browsing through all the "open source" stuff I could install, never found anything in there worth having.




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Last edited by HDTony; 05-14-2011 at 05:37 PM.
HDTony is offline  
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
Gone In 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas/Chicago
Posts: 5,771
Location: Texas/Chicago
Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks
           
Apple seriously needs to adopt widgets on the iPhone.
Gone In 3 is offline  
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Ah, so you decided to post on a motorcycle forum randomly to bash Android and to take your anger out -- which was originally intended towards your coworkers.

Got it!
I did post in the Geek Squad area though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Apple seriously needs to adopt widgets on the iPhone.
I never cared for widgets on my Droid (work Phone). I saw a few app for the iPhone that do show the temperature on the screen so you don't have to open it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Jimbo is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.
 
MoparBoyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 22,652
Location: Apopka, Florida
Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office
           
Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
funny thing is I jailbroke my iphone to install miwi tethering. then I started browsing through all the "open source" stuff I could install, never found anything in there worth having.
the custom ROMs are nice... along with a widgets

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
MoparBoyy is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
there was one program I saw that gave me some features such as calendar views, email previews etc on the lock screen, which would be nice. but I wasn't gonna pay 9 bux for it. im cheap like that.




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Evanston
Posts: 175
Location: Evanston
Sportbike: HD V-ROD/Honda CBR1000RR
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
actually I'm just sick of people telling me "Android is better, it's open source" and they have no clue what they are talking about. I should have renamed the title differently and I do apologize for it. I'm not attacking you guys, just pissed off at some of the "fandroids" I have to deal with.
At work we have the new Samsung Galaxy and they are having issues it crashing. The program we use is web based, so I just log using my iPhone and help them out, but they keep saying telling me that Android is better....
Sorry guys.
i don't know ANYONE who says Android is better because it's open source, but i know LOT'S of people who says that android is just better. i also don't know what you are trying to support, but lot's of my clients use a mixed BES/Android environment without any issues. And the fact that i would need itunes for any IOS produc is reason enough to go with any platform BUT crapple.

2004 Silver Honda CBR1000RR
2003 H.D. V-ROD
roman is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Evanston
Posts: 175
Location: Evanston
Sportbike: HD V-ROD/Honda CBR1000RR
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend
 
and another thought on the matter... 400%? i wonder how much that tool got paid to write that crap? so they went from 1 to 4 out of 200,000????

2004 Silver Honda CBR1000RR
2003 H.D. V-ROD
roman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome