315 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Odysseys 
#1 ·
question "ill try to make it simple and short"

if i had 3 folders @ 10g

my music
her music
there music

on 1 drive.

and i have my itunes set to automatically arrange, file, organized etc SELECTED "on"

if i added her music folder and also there music folder, does it take the files out of those folders and put them in the MY MUSIC folder?

OR

does it copy those other folders into my music folder and now my drive grew another 30g because of the copying to the main folder MY MUSIC?

thanks.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Negative on both accounts. When you add the folder to your library, it simply tells Itunes where to find the music on your drive. Itunes makes a reference point as to where the file is on your hard drive. For example, if you delete the song "The Distance" on your hard drive from Windows explorer, the song will still be in your Itunes library. If you click on the song, Itunes will tell you it can not find the song. Why? It can't find it because you physically deleted it, so Itunes just points to the music on the hard drive and plays it when you want to play it. Therefore, the space on your hard drive stays the same as long as you add the folder and don't physically copy and paste files to another folder on your hard drive.

#4 ·
Ken if you copy the files its doing what you select copying thus you will have two of each. You better off cut and paste where ever you want the music. tho Itunes might try and organize the music for you since you have it set on that musci folder.

#7 ·
FUCK, i think we were wrong. i TRIED something 1st cause if i dont do this right, my drive wont hold it cause of it copys it will go beyond 500g.

anyway.

from 1 external drive where i keep all my music "and my itunes sends and organizes in this drive that i selected"

i took a folder of music from ANOTHER external drive, and added that folder to my itunes.

what it did was took the folder of music, copied it to my drive i have selected by itunes.

it didn't cut it and paste it actually copied.

any ideas.

just make 1 folder cut and paste it all in it, and load it into itunes and call it a day?

#10 ·
1) Ken, do you want to keep the music on each of those drives, and just play the music whenever you reconnect the drives?

2) Or do you want to play the music at all times and have all the files on one hard drive?

If you want to do the first thing, you want to take off the option of Itunes managing your music. I am not infront of my home PC now to experiment, but I am trying to work off memory. At home I have an external hard drive with some of my music and I have music on a drive inside the PC. The drive in my PC has the music in Itunes default folder. I added the folder manually from the external drive. If the external drive is unplugged and I attempt to play a song, it will not play, Itunes will say it can not find the song. The second I power up the ext. drive, it will play the songs as if the hard drive was inside the PC. I am thinking with Itunes auto managing your music, it may be copying and converting the music from the other drives to a different format, maybe AAC, or MP3, and making a direct copy of your music to the local default Itunes music folder. If you wanted to have a similar set up like myself, you want to disable that feature. One problem with manual is that if you ever add new files to the external drive, you will have to manually add the song to your Itunes library, but this still saves space as there will be no copies of the same music on your system.

#12 ·
i got it guys, i had the option checked for " copy songs to itunes music folder when adding to library"

when i unchecked it, i can load any folder of music with out it making copys and adding it to anything. so no increase in drive size.

thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.