Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Should it be law?

712 views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  BIGGY 
#1 ·
Do you think we should have a mandatory helmet law and seatbelt law?

I say if I want to die than thats my choice. I think laws should be there to protect the other guy not me from myself. (My other self like to beat on me!).

May the fighting commence!!!!!

#2 ·
wingit said:
Do you think we should have a mandatory helmet law and seatbelt law?
Here's something for you to flame about... I don't care!

I will wear a helmet and a seatbelt whether there is a law or not.

If I am going to pick a battle to represent the right of the individual over the rule of government, it will not be these. The impact of these laws is so insignificant compared to the potential benefits that I simply do not care.

I find unreasonably low speed limits to be more of an infringement on my life than these laws even though you can make the case that speed laws protect others from me!

Or how about things like civil forfeiture and automatic sentencing for violating draconian drug laws? Or how about mandatory drug testing in order to have a job? How about the fact that you can be repremanded for "sexual harassment" and your job put at risk, without being told what you have done or who you have done it too?

Helmets and seatbelts... I wear them, and the fight is not worth my time.

Flame on!
:helmet

#4 ·
Re: Re: Should it be law?

BusaDave said:

If I am going to pick a battle to represent the right of the individual over the rule of government, it will not be these. The impact of these laws is so insignificant compared to the potential benefits that I simply do not care.

I find unreasonably low speed limits to be more of an infringement on my life than these laws even though you can make the case that speed laws protect others from me!

Or how about things like civil forfeiture and automatic sentencing for violating draconian drug laws? Or how about mandatory drug testing in order to have a job? How about the fact that you can be repremanded for "sexual harassment" and your job put at risk, without being told what you have done or who you have done it too?

Flame on!
I gotta say I'm with Dave on this one. I really dont care. I wear one most of the time anyways.

#6 ·
Re: Re: Should it be law?

BusaDave said:

Flame on!

Hmmmmm....Ditto:helmet

#7 ·
If the rider isn't bald, I say make them shave their head!

Taborn

#9 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Should it be law?

HooliganZX6 said:
Except when ya ride with your Harley ridin buddies, like a couple weeks ago when I was right behind you on 71:twofinger

Hahahaha Yup, I rarly wear it on that bike :D

G
#10 ·
:confused

Christ, Here we go again. Is it really worth getting worked up about. It's your own stupid mistake if you ride a bike you can't handle, without a helmet, in shorts, a T-shirt and sandals.

I openly admit that if there was vote on a helmet law, I would vote for it. That way I dont have to see the dumb fucks head splattered all over 94.:cheers :helmet

:twofinger

#11 ·
I attended a charity Poker Run this weekend for Park Lawn Charities. I was on the run commitee. Because I was on the commitee, I was up front and sometimes leading the run. We had about 500 to 600 attendees as far as I could estimate. We covered 145 miles. I wore my jockey style helmet and a sportbike style leather jacket(non-black) with Harley Davidson embriodered on the arms. No one, not even the mohawk topped, ZZ Top beard wearin, black leather, chain danglin, chap wearin, tatooed, pierced or drunk-assed bikers said a word about me wearin a helmet. I had an ABATE t-shirt on. The message is about choice. I did get some sh!t after the ride when I ordered an O'Dooles(sp) instead of a real beer.:laughing Some of the guys started ordering "Gay beer" for me.:laughing A fond, "F^ck You" from me got my message across just fine. Lot's of laughs, NO ATTITUDE. My point here, if there is one, is do what you know is best for you. Man up. We're all on two wheels. Oh yeah, I was a judge for the bike show awards after the run. I did mention to the other judges that it might seem odd to some that all the judges were wearing H-D attire.:p The point was noted and dismissed. :laughing So FYI, don't be too disapointed if you show up at a sportbike event with a Harley and don't win an award.:p We also had one rider down. A woman on a softtail Deuce lost the back end on gravel pulling into the first stop and sprained her ankle. :( Other than that, no problems.:) See ya on Tue.

#13 ·
I've never seen a brain on the Hwy yet.:p Close, but no cigar. :D I can see your point though. It would be a much easier clean up.;) Wouldn't need the mop.

G
#14 ·
:D

Lets everybody admit it. The guys/gals that dont wear helmets are just trying to look cool and try and flaunt there over sized ego.

"I'm cool, I ride a motorcycle to look cool"

:bs

I ride for the sport of it and cause I love to ride. I dont give a fuck if I look pretty or not.

:jester Does my hair look OK:twofinger

#16 ·
maybe it's only me but it seems like people that ride cruisers don't "have" to wear a helmet. It's as if they're any more safer than a person a sportbike. Which i think is complete :bs cuz anyone on two wheels are both equally prone to accidents, no? Tony, and i'm sure MANY others, admit that you don't wear a helmet when u rock a cruiser. If we all know the dangers of riding a motorcycle in general, why is it that on certain bikes we still don't wear helmets? The other day i was riding my pops' r1200c, and i wasn't wearing a helmet. I should have, but i didn't. Why didn't I? tell u the truth, b/c i wanted to feel the air on my face, and i wanted to look cool. Is it worth it? no. It's not worth it but it's the risk i'm willing to take. Best said by my MSF instructors, "you gotta know your level of risk" :thumbsup

#19 ·
Won't be long and that's what the top of my head will look like without a helmet. I always tell my friends I'm in the process of chroming it. My head that is.:laughing :D

#20 ·
Didn't really want to start a fight. Just curious about what you guys & gals thought.

I wear my helmet when I with the group or know I am going to try and drag a little knee. But if i'm just going for a slow cruise I usually don't.:nono

#21 ·
Nickbob43 said:
:D

Lets everybody admit it. The guys/gals that dont wear helmets are just trying to look cool and try and flaunt there over sized ego.

"I'm cool, I ride a motorcycle to look cool"

:bs

I ride for the sport of it and cause I love to ride. I dont give a fuck if I look pretty or not.

:jester Does my hair look OK:twofinger
Ok so now they don't wear a helmet cuz it looks cool? mmm'k

#22 ·
If I don't wear a helmet that 1 out of 10 times it's not because I want to look cool, it's because I feel a little more free. Are there risks involved? Of course, but I know what the risks are and I accept them. Does it mean you're stupid if you don't wear one, no, it just means you've made a choice which is why being human is so nice. :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.