So why did you start racing? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

So why did you start racing?

So i thought after Nick's thread, I thought someone should ask why did you start racing?

This last July CCS Blackhawk round was my first shot at racing. I've been doing trackdays since 2004 and to tell the truth, I never thought I would put myself at the level of risk that racing could provide. But after becoming a NESBA Advanced rider and CR, I wanted to see how I fared against others in a real racing environment. Riding in our advanced group is very challenging with the level of racing talent mixed in and I felt that I needed something to boost my motivation to get faster. Yes I could turn lap after lap at our advanced pace but when it came to making really aggressive passes and riding with a sense of urgency, I found that racing was the perfect place to learn and take my riding to another level. Basically I wanted to improve my skills without the fatigue of CRing and the restriction of "polite" passing. And boy did racing help. I've been turning my fastest laps ever since and my confidence in my skills is higher than its ever been. I'm still not the fastest but I enjoy putting my head down and chasing the faster guys now. The advanced sessions that I ride now are time for me to practice my race craft and I've found a new motivation to ride every one that I can so that I can be better prepared for the next time I race. I'm not sure what this new race addiction will lead to but my main goals for now are self improvement and having fun.

Track Junkie #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Ha - For me, it was part of the deal I got on my Track Tard - If I wanted the bike at that price at that time, I HAD to race and have never once 2nd guessed my decision to do it

My only regret is not doing this sooner - Done more track days then I can remember on SuMo and Sport Bikes - Can say with 100% confidence that none of them hold a candle to that feeling you get on the grid when your buddies are all around you and ready to rip when the flag goes up - Engines revving - Elbows up - Off the seat and on your toes - Flag goes up, you exhale and hope for the best going into T1

Fucking LOVE IT!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes

Because riding sucks. Racing is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Sportbike: Track: 08 GSXR 1000; 08 GSXR 1000; 2005 R6 Dirt: 08 CRF 250 06 KLX 110
Years Riding: 15 years
How you found us: NESBA

I started racing for many of the same reasons Nolan stated. I was in the NESBA advanced group and wasn't really getting any faster and wanted to break through to another level.

It worked for me...I went faster than I was able to at trackdays and that translated into running faster laps just playing around in the Advanced group at NESBA events, once I got comfortable at those new speeds I was able to step it up a couple notches the next time I raced.

WWW.TRACKDAYSTORE.COM The only online store where you earn free track time when you make a purchase
WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

Because standing around, watching other people do it, is boring.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Definition of Arrogance

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: 4 Seasons
How you found us: Gixxer Forums

Send a message via MSN to Otacon K3
I am going to be starting next season...reason....getting better skills and honing ones I already have.

While practice does make perfect.....Practice can also break things.

They call me Tim.....
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

I get back to this thread on sunday night or monday morning...

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 AM

Sportbike: CBR1000/GSXR1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Buddy

Send a message via MSN to BFLY
To get away...

過労死
--------------------------------------------
Brian
Nesba #98
CBR1000
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

I was already bitten by the motorcycle bug and went to my first flat track race with friends and I was just awestruck...I was about 14 or 15 and I knew that it was something I HAD to do. It was a struggle because my folks were just dead set against me ever owning a motorcycle let alone racing them, but I did all the things kids do when their folks forbid them to do something and there's no stopping the kid. When I turned 18 I just brought a bike home and announced I was going racing...I expected a big fight and to be thrown out of the house, but I guess I wore them down or they just realized they weren't going to stop me and they accepted it. Neither my mother or my father ever saw me turn a wheel on a race track.
I raced flat track seriously for about 11 years with a couple of half hearted years thrown in and during that time I ice raced, rode enduros, cross country, and did alot of recreational dirt biking that may as well have been racing, all the while street riding and touring too. After I started to leave flat track, I got into drag racing bikes for a while...I wanted to take it to more than just the E.T. Bracket/sportsman level and was about a thin hair away from building a Super Modified Sportster with the intent of moving up to Pro Stock when the money suddenly got used for a great opportunity and got better spent on buying a house. I'm hoping to get back to drag racing in ET or an index class next season maybe.
I continued to dabble in a cross country race here and an enduro there and an occasional romp at the dragstrip on my Suzuki 4 when I discovered AHRMA. I originally set out to go road racing, something I always wanted to do but couldn't afford while I was flat tracking. While I was flat tracking I could race 2 to 4 times a week from May through to early October...Road racers got to race once a month and some of those required you travel 1000 miles or more! In AHRMA I found that vintage MX, Cross Country, flat track and trials gave me much more bang for my buck. I don't flat track anymore...if I crashed like I did 30+ years ago in a flat track race they'd be picking me up with paper towels and Q tips! It's a sport where things happen fast and hard!
I've been racing a long time and I don't intend to stop until I absolutely have to. I don't get out much as I'd like, but I'll be at a few vintage events and other select events before the season is out...The vintage MX at Mid Ohio stoked the fire once again. I don't go very fast these days, but I have a blast and I have enough experience that the fast guys can pass me cleanly and safely without having to worry about me taking them out.
There are 2 ways you'll know I quit...If I sell ALL my dirt and race bikes, both old and new(er) or................ when you see them close the lid on the box.

Oh....Why did I start racing? That I can't really answer but as you can see, once I got started I couldn't stop.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 08-21-2010 at 12:32 AM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 AM
with 2 n's

Sportbike: 2000 SV650(street), 2009 TTR230(dirt)
How you found us: member

Send a message via Yahoo to glenn
Got my first sportbike when I graduated high school. My dad rode it home, lol. I knew I wanted to get on the track the moment I saw it on tv, but I was a broke college student. I went to LCR and raced the month after I graduated from college and got a job. I raced to get on the track. That was the only way back then. There weren't too many trackday orgs like today.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Sportbike: FZR400
Years Riding: 20+ minutes
How you found us: Sportbiketracktime.com

I never heard of a trackday, when I went to get licensed.
If you wanted to get on the track, you raced... Simple really.

To this day, I do not understand the lust for people to do trackdays.
Its like Masturbating in public for everyone to watch, just with tire warmers.

-X

CCS Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus

Facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies STT F-MC
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Because Grasshopper twisted my arm.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
honestly.. its cause everyone at trackdays kept saying "you are good, you should try racing"

what did they know

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I think if more folks tried it, they'd like it.

I 'splained my reasons in the other thread. If every rider could feel what I feel out there... the grids would be PACKED.
˙

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Last edited by KBOlsen; 08-21-2010 at 08:07 AM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOlsen View Post
If every rider could feel what I feel out there... the grids would be PACKED.˙
Yup yup - Well said Kimmie

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian_13 View Post
I never heard of a trackday, when I went to get licensed.
If you wanted to get on the track, you raced... Simple really.

To this day, I do not understand the lust for people to do trackdays.
Its like Masturbating in public for everyone to watch, just with tire warmers.

-X
+1

I knew I wanted to do it but never knew how to get into it. Its not like now with the internet and trackdays. Me and 10 of my friends started racing pretty much the same year and did it fo about 6 years straight. Some of us dropped out early but I stuck with it. I haven't raced in years but I have things set up to do it next year. I miss being fast and I can tell my old ass is slowing down since I stopped racing.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

When I started riding MX, there was goofing off in the woods, but there was no riding on an MX race track, unless it was a practice session, or a race. So, I went racing.

When I started riding sportbikes on the track, track days were the best value per minute of track time, bar none. If I wanna improve, there are plenty of faster folks at track days that I can chase or can help me improve, or I can go to a riding school like Freddie Spencer (now Yamaha's YCRS school) and get coached by the best coaches there are.

At my age, I could care less about racing. Lower time on the track, at a higher cost, and a higher risk. Seems like bad math to me all the way around. It makes no sense to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love to race. Now, I get far more pleasure out of helping another rider improve than I do in running away from them on the track.

I don't hold anything against the racers, and I wish them all that they desire. It amazes me the mentality that racers seem to have in general against track day riders.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

I got tired of running from the cops, and in general, it wasn't much of a challenge.

Really the answer for me, is that I always want to take something to it's limit, and find the pinnacle of my abilities. Racing pushes you to find that pinnacle, and gets you there quicker. Racing has not only helped me get faster on the sportbike, but dirtbike, mountain bike, running, and triathlons as well. I would be much slower in all these disciplines if it weren't for competition.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season

Lots of good responses. Hopefully more people will chime in after today's races.

Track Junkie #79
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't know...

Ok well here is my input since I got my Cherry popped... is just because a valid answer? lol

ok a lot of times on track days I was more thinking ok lets take it easy and let that guy pass, besides getting you in danger you are not going to gain anything... today I went in turn 1 knowing it is about something.... I was in a total trackday-mood the first few laps, than I got stuffed in the Bus Stop and almost went off roading. This pissed me off extremely, especially knowing who it was, but that sparked my hunting instinct and I just did what I had to do, I passed him again and ran the bike the way I should have since the first lap. ( Ed, thanks I needed that push).
I finished with dropping two seconds on my laptimes, and the knowledge that go means go and a felling that I can't describe.
My last race topped this felling when I picked up half the field of expert racers in that class...

It's like a blut lust and I learned today way more than I thought...

I talked to Brian Blume today and he actually made a point to me, which makes sense, you race and push your limit and get faster and stuff, than you start seeing track days as practice to get comfortable with your new speed and line. In the next race your level is higher than last time, since you comfortable with a faster speed than the last race. In the race you push a bit more and pickup things.... and so on...

That feeling when you get the checkered flag and you have people behind you or even win, is awesome it feels good...

yes I know, I'm still hot from the track, but it is an awesome thing to accomplish in your life.
anyone remember when I almost gave this whole track stuff up ... this sounds different huh? Thanks to everyone! now I just need to stop running sandbagger classes and get the 600 to spin!
One thing I like to add, I did riders clinic with Jason Farrell as coach, and I have to say I didn't meet anyone who was compassionate about this sport, I only could pickup half of what he said, but he knows his shit...

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't know...

And now the most important one when can I do it again?

and where can I get a hot Pit-girl...

Last edited by Germany; 08-22-2010 at 07:03 PM.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
For the chics!

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
I have to say I didn't meet anyone who was compassionate about this sport, I only could pickup half of what he said...
Huh?! A little confused here.

(congrats on your race btw)

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

Well I only met you for a few hours at the time... He was talking bike/track/racing from yesterday morning until last night when I went home...

Thanks.

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

LOL I think Germany is just typing like he talks...You only understand 1/4 of what he says.

I think he meant something different than he typed.

--

I'm kind of with Ken...I like to compete at almost every thing I do. This is also why I am thinking about racing or just quitting all together
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
LOL I think Germany is just typing like he talks...You only understand 1/4 of what he says.

I think he meant something different than he typed.
I just realized I missed a few words...

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I think maybe he meant "passionate"? Congratulations on your (very successful!) debut!!!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Farrell is awesome and indeed passionate. On top of that he is FASSSSSSST!

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

I saw a race on TV in the late 80s and it looked awesome. I like awesome things so I had to try it so I could be awesome and it's true I'm awesome.

<---- Useless Mufugga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode