Staying in the game - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Staying in the game

I wrote this a couple years ago. There's a lot going through my head right now with what I want to do this season and which direction I want to take my riding so I thought I'd post this back up....

I’ve been roadracing and doing trackdays now for almost a decade. Over the years, I’ve seen plenty of other riders come and go. This sport that we love so dearly has a high turnover rate. You meet people who absolutely live and breathe for riding their motorcycle around a racetrack, then suddenly they disappear. Why is that?
I’m sure the single most common reason for people to quit the sport is that it costs so damn much. But that’s not the only reason. Incurring an injury or the concern over the possibility of getting hurt can often play a large roll as well. There’s no denying that racetrack riding is a dangerous pastime. Children are often mentioned as having an influence on a rider’s decision to quit the track. How about free time? Preparing and maintaining a track motorcycle is a labor-intensive task. Don’t underestimate burnout. Sometimes enough is just enough and it’s time for something different. While my love for racing and motorcycles runs deep, occasionally I find myself pondering if I really want to stay.
First, let’s consider the money involved in racing or track riding motorcycles. I’m not going to display bar graphs or charts to illustrate how much money I personally spend every year on this sport. Frankly I don’t even want to know. If I ever really thought about it, that might be enough to make me quit! For the last decade, as long as my head’s been above water, the mortgage was getting paid and my bills were all up to date, I’ve been pretty content. Any funds beyond that have gone straight into the track pipe!
I suppose that there are people who set aside a budget for this sport but I’m usually just counting my pennies in hopes of making it to the next weekend. Once you reach a certain level, your tire bill alone can break the bank. If your motorcycle doesn’t have good rubber, why even go to the track? I’ve been pushing harder and harder lately, so I can’t go as fast as I want to without good traction. Sliding around on spent rubber isn’t fun or safe. Then there’s fuel, both for the bikes and the van. I can’t even head for the track closest to my house these days without dumping at least a C note into the van, gas cans and bikes. The cost of simply getting to the event is keeping many riders home. This season, I’ve been rolling into the driveway on fumes at the end of a weekend, with my wallet as dry as my tank

Even if you can afford the gas, tires and entry fees for your next trackday, there’s still the cost of motorcycle maintenance to overcome. Consumables like gaskets, clutch plates, bearings, brake pads and engine oil all cost money. What about gear? Without the proper protection nobody should be out riding at all, much less dragging a knee at 85mph at any race track. That nice five-year-old helmet may still feel ok but the fact is that it needs to be replaced. Those ragged boots with Velcro that doesn’t work and a hole burned through the side have no business on your feet when you’re blasting down the front straight at 150 + at Road America. Without a freshly shod, well maintained motorcycle and intact riding gear, your risk of injury skyrockets. Injury has its own costs, which are the next part of the equation.
Many folks quit due to injury or the fear of it. Since getting hurt interferes with your ability to earn money, there’s no wonder that it’s such a concern among racetrack riders. If you fall down, get banged up and can’t support yourself, was it really worth it? For me, the answer to this question is, “No, but….” No it’s not worth it if the worst happens but I love riding so much that maybe it is worth the risk. Catch my drift? It’s an addiction thing. It has to do with loving the rush of seriously hauling butt around a racetrack enough to ignore the possible consequences. Actually, you can compare racetrack riding to sex; both pose risks to your health that can range from minor to life-threatening, yet people are doing it anyway because it feels so good! Like sex, your best plan of defense as a track rider is abstinence. Failing that, wear protective gear and don’t do anything stupid.
Balancing a racetrack addiction with normal life is a challenge and that’s where time becomes an issue. It takes quite a bit of wrenching to keep a track bike in tip-top running condition. Some people pay professionals to do this work for them but unless you’re filthy rich, the money can be even harder to find than the time. This is how garage rats like me and my friends can afford to play but it costs us a big portion of our personal lives in the process. I’ve spent countless late nights working in the garage before track weekends to make sure everything was working properly. I love wrenching just about as much as riding and there’s a certain amount of pride involved in knowing that I’m willing and able to keep my bikes properly prepared and maintained. The problem is that there are only so many hours in a day. What about my family, my girlfriend and the lawn that needs to be mowed? It’s hard to realistically budget time when you’re feeding an addiction.

Is it time to try something different? It’s occurred to me. A different sport or perhaps just a different form of motorcycle racing could be a nice change. I’ve been thinking about trying kayaking or doing more bicycle riding. I’m really leaning towards more dirtbike riding though. It’s a far less expensive way to still be on a motorcycle and ride hard. Trail riding can be both relaxing and exhilarating in the same breath. There’s something about the adventure of going for a long trail ride on a dirtbike that I’ve loved since I was a kid. Sometimes I think I’m getting a little burnt out by the whole road racing and track day routine but my mind changes quickly if I’m railing through Dead Bear at Putnam Park bar-to-bar with a good friend. All of a sudden there’s nothing I’d rather do. It’s just that the money, the time and the worry of getting injured can all stack up together to make me feel that I might need to step away for a little while. There are times when it seems as if I need to let my love for the sport rekindle itself. Then the phone rings and it’s one of my pusher friends, saying, “Let’s go to Grattan this weekend. They’re short on coaches.” Wow, I managed to stay away from the racetrack for a whole three weeks!
The fact of the matter is that I’m deeply tied into this sport. It’s more difficult than I realized to just drop it and try something new. I’ve been riding the racetrack long enough to become good at it, something that’s hard to give up. In the process, I’ve developed a circle of friends who have become like family. Through coaching and helping newer riders, I’ve learned that I really enjoy seeing a student’s smile when I’ve helped them figure out how to put a knee down. It would be really hard to give all of that up and start over with something else. So how am I planning to stay in the game? I keep on telling myself, “Moderation.” If I can moderate my participation so I don’t burn myself out, I can continue to play this game for a long time.

Thanks for editing my thoughts and emotions K3...

http://www.trackdaymag.com/Articles/...-the-Game.aspx

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Last edited by Grasshopper; 12-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

What I am doing to cure myself from being burnt out on roadrace bikes is spread my hobby out like dirt biking and sumo racing. I have been doing it as long as you Nick and I stepped away a couple of years ago from racing and miss it a little. Trackday coaching helps this but dirbiking and sumo riding and racing will fill the void
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Just kidding Nick, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think many people in your similar position have had the same feelings. Since I am more of a newbie these types of concerns havent really hit me yet.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Tis the season many people minds go up and down around this time. When your ready to stop u will without looking back then you know its time

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
I used to have so much disposable income before I started riding on the track. This is an expensive sport. If I quit, it will be because I couldn't afford to do it anymore or that I simply lost interest. Street riding doesn't do it for me anymore. So if I stop riding on the track, then my motorcycle days might be over.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Tis the season many people minds go up and down around this time. When your ready to stop u will without looking back then you know its time
this is true. its winter time and i'm not even thinking of motorcycles right now. i've got other hobbies to keep me busy for now.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Great write up Nick!!

One thing that people who take up racing or track days lack is balance for the most part. I am speaking of life balance. In order to be good, or better than good at this particular sport, it requires dedication and passion that is typical for those of us with addictive behavior.

And as you so clearly articulated, addictions are expensive. Thanks again for sharing it with us.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
What about my family, my lawn and the girlfriend that needs to be mowed?
Wat?

I quit because I didn't get a Factory ride. So there. Good writeup dude.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Nick - I was in the same boat when I had the Duc, minus the track of course - Riding became work and not fun - Got the SuperDuke and got busy with the fun - Then I met the Sumo crew and they opened my eyes to what riding can be, FUN

Come on out Homie - It is cheap and it is FUN

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Exceptional, excellent post Nick!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Great post Nick. It seems like just yesterday when you were a spring chicken. I remember waaaay back when you and patrick cuddled all night long in the rain in that borrowed and collapsed tent at BHF.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

You need to figure out a way to turn this love/addiction into a career; no question you have the passion.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Like others said, nice post. Anyone need a track bike?

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post

Just kidding Nick, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think many people in your similar position have had the same feelings. Since I am more of a newbie these types of concerns havent really hit me yet.
Sometimes I wonder if my hobby is out of control man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Sometimes I wish I could slow down and chill out. I think too much about this shit. It's definitely a financial burden, but then I think about how much fun I have had and jones for the track pipe more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
I used to have so much disposable income before I started riding on the track. This is an expensive sport. If I quit, it will be because I couldn't afford to do it anymore or that I simply lost interest. Street riding doesn't do it for me anymore. So if I stop riding on the track, then my motorcycle days might be over.
Disposable income?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Great write up Nick!!

One thing that people who take up racing or track days lack is balance for the most part. I am speaking of life balance. In order to be good, or better than good at this particular sport, it requires dedication and passion that is typical for those of us with addictive behavior.

And as you so clearly articulated, addictions are expensive. Thanks again for sharing it with us.
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I can't "just" do trackdays and be happy. I need more variaty. Racing tickles me pink but I can't do that every weekend. Ice, Sumo, Dirt, Roadracing, trackdays in the right moderation spread out properly is my ticket to motorcycle happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
What I am doing to cure myself from being burnt out on roadrace bikes is spread my hobby out like dirt biking and sumo racing. I have been doing it as long as you Nick and I stepped away a couple of years ago from racing and miss it a little. Trackday coaching helps this but dirbiking and sumo riding and racing will fill the void
The void. Elaborate Steve. I have a pretty good idea where you are going with that.

Quote:
this is true. its winter time and i'm not even thinking of motorcycles right now. i've got other hobbies to keep me busy for now.
I need to play more hockey and buy a kyak. The nice thing about a kyak is that you don't have to pump gas in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
Wat?

I quit because I didn't get a Factory ride. So there. Good writeup dude.
Factory ride? Does that happen to everyday, working class folks ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Nick - I was in the same boat when I had the Duc, minus the track of course - Riding became work and not fun - Got the SuperDuke and got busy with the fun - Then I met the Sumo crew and they opened my eyes to what riding can be, FUN

Come on out Homie - It is cheap and it is FUN
Gus has to modify some wheels for me and I'll rip the KX250 out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOlsen View Post
Exceptional, excellent post Nick!
Thanks Kim. You've been there since the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
Great post Nick. It seems like just yesterday when you were a spring chicken. I remember waaaay back when you and patrick cuddled all night long in the rain in that borrowed and collapsed tent at BHF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
You need to figure out a way to turn this love/addiction into a career; no question you have the passion.
That was a miserable night. It took us 2 hours and a case of beer to set that tent up and the monsoon blew it down it 5 minutes. We were so cold and miserable. I slept underneat the tono cover and Patrick's tall linky ass slept in my single cab, 2 door S-10. Ohhhh the good old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMAIL View Post
Like others said, nice post. Anyone need a track bike?
NO!!!! No more bikes!

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM
G2G

Void meaning the adreniline (sp) rush you get while roadracing.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Void meaning the adreniline (sp) rush you get while roadracing.
Not the void in your life if motorcycles went away?

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
G2G

Well thats a given. LOL
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Sportbike: lots
How you found us: grasshopper

With the OP I have shared many of those years.Loved every one of them (most anyway)

I find my self up to my eyeballs with this passionate hobby once in a while.I'm heading into 40yrs of motorcycling and have found that just putting down the wrench for a few days will help me catch my breath (pun intentional).

I will say though that like an old dog that gets an extra step with a new puppy in the house.People have helped me rekindle the bike fever. such as Nick with his contagious sickness.

I might add that people skills are a very demanding part of motorcycling from a service perspective.

An equal dose of both over the years along with a project bike and I may grow old with a wrench tightly clinched in both hands.

Love ya buddy and good luck in the new year.

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 AM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

I like what you guys wrote...

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine

i would ONLY leave track riding if my body was unable to continue or age stops me.
other than that, my core will remain as hard as yours. the money aspect, well, if its
what you love than its worth what we spend. 2011 will be my 4th season on the track.
and i "have" noticed some people come and go, watever, i'm stayin. i look forward to
us riding soon

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Shhhhhh.....

Sportbike: K6 GSXR600, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
Years Riding: I'm old. It's been a long time.
How you found us: google

Quote:
If I quit, it will be because I couldn't afford to do it anymore or that I simply lost interest. Street riding doesn't do it for me anymore. So if I stop riding on the track, then my motorcycle days might be over.
+1

This sport brings me joy. Unless I find new joy, I'm not quitting.

CCS Amateur #133
K6 GSXR600
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
El Speedy Gonzales

Sportbike: lets not talk about it :(
Years Riding: Yesterday
How you found us: member

I certainly would like to try Sumo, I did have a YZ125 back in TX and that was a blast but when I moved back here to IL the bike had to go as I came back to Street/trackdays and purchased a bike for that reason, this sport is expensive (especially for me with 1 income and a family to support, there are 6 of us) so I try to do at the very least 4-5 TD's a yr which is by far not enough for me and street is fun but no where near as fun or adrenaline filled as the track. If and when I can afford a 2nd bike it will be a dirt/sumo type machine, I won't give up trackdays on the 600 but it will be great to have a less expensive option.

Ride Fast, Ride Smart
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Nick,
I've seen you ride on the dirt...you are a talented rider and you should continue to ride, but you are experiencing a change, part of which is that you are getting older. You are now starting to feel a bit of the self preservation instinct that kicks in with a few more years under your belt. Diversafy what kind of riding you do ...a little pavement here, a little dirt there and start training yourself not to take the competition so seriously (not easy, I know). Face it, you're coming to an age where the dreams of being a star in the Superbike Nationals or MotoGP are becoming unrealistic. Instead of entering the super serious fast guy classes start competing for fun in age based classes like Vet or Senior (when you get there) or look into vintage racing which is much more laid back and "for fun" oriented. Vintage road racing, flat track and MX are very satisfying, comparitively inexpensive and competitive without being exceptionally risky compared to modern bike racing.
For the burn out factor find something that will divert you from bikes completely that is fun and won't eat up money at a rate that hurts the motorcycling. For me that has become trap shooting and upland bird hunting.
Bottom line...A rider with your talent and desire should definately stay in the game. It's just that you're coming to the time where you need to change the way you play the game and evaluate the level at which you play it.
I'm looking forward to seeing you at the new District 17 GP series events.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
King Nothing

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook

Chris
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

That effing tent...

I was forced out of trackday riding due to injury/illness. Can't operate the clutch on a streetbike to this day. Drives me nuts - but the passion for the sport and the people was enough to get me on a dirtbike and back out doing what I like to do (i.e. scaring the bejessus outta myself) with the people I like to do it with.

In time I might be able to get back on a trackbike - but for the last few seasons, I haven't missed it nearly as much as I used to. Filled the void as it were.

Nick - you should follow in CP's footsteps. Turn your passion for riding into a business and work there until you loathe the industry so much that you start riding bicycles.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Nick - you should follow in CP's footsteps. Turn your passion for riding into a business and work there until you loathe the industry so much that you start riding bicycles.

This! It's a dream come true!

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Easy way to get rich quick too, right?
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 PM
King Nothing

CP=big ballin!

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 PM
DONATING MEMBER

All my shit rolls on chrome dubs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode