Turning question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Turning question

I guess this should go under a different forum but i think it is important and applied probably just as often on the track. When you are in the turn, and your bike starts to wander torwards the outside of that curve how do you usually adjust for that? In other words... Bring your self back into the inside corner of the turn? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:29 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Push harder on the clip on the side you are turning towards.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
lean more, countersteer, look where you want to go.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
***on the track only***

look through the turn and give it some gas, if you have time. Sometimes you're in too hot and have to stand it up to brake or roll through the grass. But getting on the gas(slightly) helps you complete the turn and reduces chances of washing the front.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Vcook. give it more throttle?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:34 AM

to add to jenova's question, when in a turn and realizing you are drifting towards the outside. if i start to push the turn a bit tighter to bring it back in, are there any hints or signs that you are getting close to going too far? meaning will the tire start to skip a bit or will the peg start scraping. I am always nervous that i will take the bike so far in the turn that i will pass the limit of the contact of the tire and lay the bike down without meaning to.

any help here would be great.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Grasshopper

Like said before, just "LOOK" through the turn, if you start to go to the outside "LOOK" harder.

It's almost all mental.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

First off, where you want to be in the lane differs between the street and the track due to possible traffic considerations. Learning how to properly apex the turn is important. Watch other, more experienced riders, as they set up for a turn. You'll notice that sometimes they turn in late and other times earlier. This is so they don't have to double, triple (sixpence) apex the corner. What Kruz said is correct. More pressure on the clip-on in the direction of the turn. More lean in that direction will also be appropriate to a degree. On the street, always stay far enough away from the center to allow for an oncomming car that crosses the line. Especially so in a blind turn. Right blind turn = early turn in. Left blind turn = late turn in. I'm sure some of the racers can get a little more in depth on this with you. Hope this helps a little.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jenova sin
Vcook. give it more throttle?
steady throttle.

Chris
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

SloRoll: thanks helps alot! But waht is this clip u speak of.. I remember watching Ryan Fizzer600, and maybe it was just my perception but it looks like he was falling in right before the turns. amybe it was different bikes but it looked weird to me. WEird, but something tells me he's on the right and im just totally out there.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:48 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally posted by jenova sin
SloRoll: thanks helps alot! But waht is this clip u speak of..

A clip-on is what sport bikes have instead of a handle bar. Same thing, though. Its where your handgrips are.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:50 AM

Clip-on refers to the little handle bars that are "clipped" on to the forks in most sportbikes that are like the racers. As opposed to bars that are mounted above the triple-trees. Just think of them as the handle bars.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:52 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
to add to jenova's question, when in a turn and realizing you are drifting towards the outside. if i start to push the turn a bit tighter to bring it back in, are there any hints or signs that you are getting close to going too far? meaning will the tire start to skip a bit or will the peg start scraping. I am always nervous that i will take the bike so far in the turn that i will pass the limit of the contact of the tire and lay the bike down without meaning to.

any help here would be great.
From my experience, it almost felt like I was about to fall off the bike when I got my pegs to touch. So I think you'd be surprised how far you can lean it. When the peg feelers hit, that's a pretty good indication you've only got a few inches before hardparts start touching.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Clip! thanks that all tied it in for me i got it Thanks alot guys
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

clipon. its called a clipon. Dont call it a clip, people will look at you funny.

Chris
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
My suggestion on the throttle was to roll some on, if you chop throttle when your all cranked over you slam weight to the front wheel and could wash it. Neutral throttle would work as well.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:15 PM

From what I've experienced, the amount of lean that can be used in a turn on a modern sportbike is quite incredible. The tires on these bikes are just as incredible. A far cry from just a few years ago. If you enter a turn with enough speed and enough lean, you could cause the tires to slide. The probability of a tire sliding is increased as the temp goes down or way way up. It also increases on the street because of gunk on the road (water, grease, oil, sand, clay, rocks. etc,etc.). The knee draggin' turns you see on the track are not meant for the street. Don't get me wrong, they can be done(with luck and big cahones), but they leave little room for error. Save em for the track.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode