Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro Slicks - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro Slicks

Anybody have an opinion on these tires yet. I know they are new but the design seems like it might be a good fit for track days.

Slick, no tire warmers necessary, long life and cheap price. Looks pretty sweet.

Info: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/544/56...Tire-Peek.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

I had them last season. theya re kick ass! I love them they also lastet pretty long.

I'll get mine from Dustin.

I guess they made them even better.. that would be really cool!

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Sportbike: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2000 and 2008 R6 track bikes
Years Riding: Not long enough.
How you found us: another local forum

Who is Dustin and what does he charge? I'm pretty sure this is the tire I am going with this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't know...

Dustin would be Dustin Boyd @ www.cyclepathracing.com
his screen name here is red900 (?)

I don't remember his price...

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Test by roadracing world wasn't too promising. It was in one of there issues from last year I will have to dig it up. John Ulrich expalins some of the article on page 3 of this thread.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php...ike+Pro+Slicks

Last edited by G2G; 02-09-2011 at 10:28 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve, that thread just gave me a headache!

Still seems like a good choice for the B or I group, if you don't mind the slicks.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
G2G

Just remember ur day is pretty much screwed if its a damp track.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Just remember ur day is pretty much screwed if its a damp track.
Wouldn't that be the case with any slick though? I know it would end my day, but I wuss out on street tires when it's wet :P

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 AM
G2G

Yes. Thats one way DOT's have the advantage over slicks.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

They're excellent for a rider in any group. The grip from them is excellent. They wear very well. They're designed to come up to temp quickly and keep you from needing warmers. Because of that they are marketed as a track day tire. If you race and don't use tire warmers, they'd work great as well. As for them possibly being a couple seconds off the pace of race tire times. I'll worry about that when I'm running 10's at BHF. Not going to happen any time soon for many of us.

Their priced right and available through Cyclepath Racing (red900 on clsb) the regional Pirelli distributor. I don't recall the exact pricing and Pirelli is allegedly making some pricing changes for this season. The story I heard (don't quote me) is that Pirelli pricing will be dropping this season. I don't know if the track day tires will benefit from that since they were already well priced. Everyone that has tried them has been pleased.

I thought there was DOT style of the tire as well. It has the tread pattern of the Super Corsa Pro which I've run many many laps in the rain on with no issues. Pirelli tires are marked on the sidewall with the compound and color coded. When new there is typically a stripe around the perimeter of the tire to help in sorting the inventory quickly. SC0 (White I think) SC1 Blue, SC2, Green, SC3 yellow, Trackday tires or Pro's Red.

They're a great tire all the time, but especially in the early and late part of the season when track and air temperatures are lower and you're comparing them to other high performance tires. Tire pressures for these tires are pretty much on par with the rest of the Pirelli line. But again there's been a few months since we've been to the track and that could have changed. Though I doubt it and if it did, it won't be very much.

Just because a tire is DOT approved doesn't mean it's going to be much better then a slick in the rain. Many of the high end DOT race / track day tires have some sort of a tread pattern. If you look at them, they're not typically designed for the wet and are not going to do a good job at displacing water.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Last edited by gkotlin; 02-10-2011 at 08:52 AM.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
I run the DOT sytle version of that tire and like them a lot. Have a fresh set in my closet right now actually

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
Just because a tire is DOT approved doesn't mean it's going to be much better then a slick in the rain. Many of the high end DOT race / track day tires have some sort of a tread pattern. If you look at them, they're not typically designed for the wet and are not going to do a good job at displacing water.
Just to clarify I was not comparing the slicks to race DOT's when riding in wet conditions. I was comparing them to regular DOT's like the Pilot power. I should have clarified. No new race DOT tire is going to give you the grip like a pilot power would in damp/wet conditions.

Just an FYI
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't know...

If it rains, I stay home or buy rain tires...

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
G2G

didn't say raining I said a wet track.

You know as well as I do if you go to a track and it stops raining when you get there more than likely it will not dry out till noon. No way in hell I am riding on slicks during a race/trackday. I have done it before and don't wish to do it again.

Coming to the track with slicks sometimes is a crap shoot. All I am saying is if you do have slicks you better have another set of tires if the track is wet. Ask Paiky Poo on 2wc. He runs slicks and has the worst luck. LOL
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
G2G

I am not saying this to argue I am just saying this by expeirance. I know people spend alot of time and money to get to the track. Waiting for a track to dry out completly cuz you have slicks on ur bike sucks. Just don;t want people to waist there time and money waiting. Best solution is have another set of tires with you or best bet another set of rims with tires. Its expensive but worth it.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, Maybe I will just go with PP2CT's again this year.

I don't ride in the rain on the track anymore, but I see your point about a wet / drying track indeed.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Sportbike: GSXR
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: luck

Greg said it very well. The TD Slicks are an excellent trackday tire, they wear well and require little to no suspension tuning. Lets just be clear though, just because it is round and black does not mean it will handle the same as other round and black. The grip is something we all understand quite well, and there is little misunderstanding about the grip difference between a race tire and a hypersport tire (ie rosso corsa, PP2CT, Q2). What most people dont realize is that the carcass construction of a tire will actually change how a bike handles. The TDSLICK is built on the same carcass as the race tire, as a matter of fact it is our race tire for endurance racing except for some minor details. Endurance tires are built to withstand many different factors that sprint racing tires are not designed for such as changing weather (sunny, windy, cool), changing rider ( weight, pace) and changing track surfaces (IOMTT, Suzuka 8HR). This flexability is what makes this "Endurance race tire" and great option for trackday riders as well.

The RRW article is fine but lets be clear, any endurance tire is going to be a few seconds off the pace of a full blown sprint tire.

WWW.CYCLEPATHRACING.COM
Dustin Boyd
CCS #95
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Sportbike: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2000 and 2008 R6 track bikes
Years Riding: Not long enough.
How you found us: another local forum

Excuse my ignorance, but how will these perform on a drying track? Can I expect to be on my head if I try turning on a semi damp (dryish line with no standing water) track, as G2G hints. I have spare wheels with rain tires, should I stick with the Diablo Supercorsas that I used last year?
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but how will these perform on a drying track? Can I expect to be on my head if I try turning on a semi damp (dryish line with no standing water) track, as G2G hints. I have spare wheels with rain tires, should I stick with the Diablo Supercorsas that I used last year?

I will let Dustin answer that as I want to see the answer he gives.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

Quote:
This is like asking how much/many hookers and blow will be enough.

The variables are near infinite and so are the solutions.

It depends on you

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

here we go again

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
If you've got a dry line, you're going to be good with almost anything as long as the temperature is up. I think we're splitting hairs here. It's the rider thats going to put the bike down typically.

Dustin, Wink, Me, G2G, we've all run slicks in the rain. Would you want to do that? Absolutely not. If you don't have the ability to have rain tires or extra rims with DOTs or rains and your going half way across the country to Jennings with the intention of riding. I would go with a go with the DOT version of the track day tire. It's the same tread pattern as the SuperCorsa Pro which was the hot DOT race tire in 2006 and I think 2007. It's an awesome tire still. The SuperCorsa pro would be the tire I'd choose if I couldn't get the track day tire in the tread version. They're a softer carcass than most other race tires, they'll displace water fine and they're going to provide plenty of grip well into top track day advanced pace. I've run those plenty of times in the wet and the full out rain. You might get a little more life or marginally better wear with the slick over the treaded tire in this particular model. But the if you don't have rains or a backup plan, this is the way to go.

This trip is for fun, not to beat Ben's new track record. It's not about winning a nifty trophy. So you're not going to be pushing to see just how hard you can ride in the damp or rain. If the weather is superb, you're still going to have more then enough traction to push your personal limits.

Get the track day tires with tread or the good old Super Corsa Pro's. Have a great trip and worry about more important things. Like do we need 2 or 3 cases of beer to celebrate the end of a fantastic track day.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Sportbike: GSXR
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: luck

Slicks suck in the damp. I forgot to touch on that because I agreed with what was said above. I dont ride in moist, damp, wet, rainy, or monsoon conditions without proper tires. It would be foolish to think you could do much more than just pussyfoot around on anything besides "Wets' and "Full Rains". I have seen the Pro's run some pretty fast times in damp/drying conditions on slicks but they also have a semi full of people and spare parts waiting to fix whatever they damage on their way to making a living. I have learned my lesson a long time ago regarding this situation.....

I understand why people use DOT's in this situation, but i wont do it anymore personally. I would invest in somerains or wets, they are much cheaper than fixing your bike because you were going to learn how to find the edge of traction.....

Rant on.....

WWW.CYCLEPATHRACING.COM
Dustin Boyd
CCS #95

Last edited by red900; 02-10-2011 at 03:11 PM.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by red900 View Post
Slicks suck in the damp. I forgot to touch on that because I agreed with what was said above. I dont ride in moist, damp, wet, rainy, or monsoon conditions without proper tires. It would be foolish to think you could do much more than just pussyfoot around on anything besides "Wets' and "Full Rains". I have seen the Pro's run some pretty fast times in damp/drying conditions on slicks but they also have a semi full of people and spare parts waiting to fix whatever they damage on their way to making a living. I have learned my lesson a long time ago regarding this situation.....

I understand why people use DOT's in this situation, but i wont do it anymore personally. I would invest in somerains or wets, they are much cheaper than fixing your bike because you were going to learn how to find the edge of traction.....

Rant on.....
Thanks for tossing that up Dustin . I think all of us that have been around and have learned our lessons on stuff. One of them being riding on slicks in non dry pavement.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't know...

I ran slicks in snow two weeks ago... that sucks even more than on wet or damp tracks.

I correct my earlier post, run the PRO DOTs, if you have only one set of rims and you consider a semi demp track to go on, also I guess if you take them off, you can sell them as street tires...
I have two sets of rims, at the moment one has PRO slicks and the other one some plain street tires to put around on, if the conditions are not met for the slicks.

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

So you're saying if I get these, I'll only be a few seconds off RRW riders race pace sounds good to me!

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

OK, so I know opinions are like assholes, etc, but I ride with most of you guys / girls at the track and appreciate the input. What do you guys think would make a good step up in traction from the PP2ct's and not be a full slick. I'm really not interested in warmers at this point and don't mind taking it easy a few laps to let the tires come up to temp, but I realize at some point I might make the switch to warmers.

I don't really care about street legality of the tire either.

I'm hearing a lot in this thread about the Diablo Supercorsa (which compound I have no idea)?

What else do you recommend for an I pace.

Last edited by plotts; 02-10-2011 at 04:37 PM.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Just go with the treaded track day tires. They'll be perfect no matter what the weather (except snow). They don't need warmers.

Otherwise go with any DOT Race tire. But most of the top end current ones aren't going to be much better then a slick in the rain or wet or damp or moist.

Your really making this too hard. How often are you spinning the rear and pushing the front on a 2 ct? If you're not, then run what you're used to. If you are, then you probably need to be smoother on your inputs an Intermediate pace.

I'm confused that you didn't get enough opinions or answers with everything above

Whats your concern? I get the impression your looking for the answer to a question you haven't asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotts View Post
OK, so I know opinions are like assholes, etc, but I ride with most of you guys / girls at the track and appreciate the input. What do you guys think would make a good step up in traction from the PP2ct's and not be a full slick. I'm really not interested in warmers at this point and don't mind taking it easy a few laps to let the tires come up to temp, but I realize at some point I might make the switch to warmers.

I don't really care about street legality of the tire either.

I'm hearing a lot in this thread about the Diablo Supercorsa (which compound I have no idea)?

What else do you recommend for an I pace.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Well that's a pretty vague response.

Just looking for brand and type suggestions that works for others.

This is a discussion forum, right?

Haven't you had something that worked well but wanted to try something else? That's where I'm currently at.

Last edited by plotts; 02-10-2011 at 06:43 PM.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM

It was just a question. You seemed to get lots of info but are still searching.

Trackday Pirelli's rock.
SuperCorsa Pro's (old DOT tire) good tires
New Diablo Superbike Pirelli's - awesome tire
Pilot power 2ct - will be great at your pace, dual compound for good traction
Dunlop 209's Great tire, stiffer tire with good feedback
The Dunlop 211's and NTECs are supposed to be even better. I haven't tried them yet.
Continentals haven't tired them but heard good things about their DOT / Race tire.

Tires have come a long way in the last 5-10 years. They've even improved a lot in the last 2 years. The tires aren't what is going to hold you back in your riding.
I ride a lightweight, so the Pirelli works well on my bikes.
I run the Diablo DOT race tire for racing. In the spring and fall when temps are lower, I like the Pirelli Trackday tires, or the Pilot Powers. In the rain, I run rain tires.

Pirelli, great tire, predictable till they're completely shot. Softer carcass, more forgiving and consistent performance.
Bridgestones - I can't speak to much about them, I don't have much experience.
Dunlops - The NTEC's are tops. The 209 and 211 are more then enough tire for many of us. They are a stiffer carcass. You'll get more feedback typically. They go off a bit quicker and less consistently so change them when they get to the wear indicators.
Michelin - Pilot powers and 2ct's are great intermediate tires for colder temps and damp conditions for most people. Again, they look great to the eye, but they go away quickly and not typically predictably. A lot of people use them for dual duty on the street and track. After a year of dual duty and all those heat cycles, they can let you down on colder days. Michelin also has the Power One's and the Power Pure's. Each has it's own designed purpose.

We can give you more information on tires then you ever wanted to know.

The point is you need to decide what you expect from a tire.
Riding in the rain?
Dot or slick?
Long life or excellent traction?
More feedback or a softer tire?
Price point?
Availability at the track or store or dealer you buy from.
Do they need warmers?
What's the temperature and track conditions? Putnam and Miller eat tires.

Pick a tire and try it. If it feels good stick with it. Learn how it feels as it losses traction. Learn how it feels as it wears away. Learn how it communicates your bikes suspension workings to you. You have to believe you have the best tires to have confidence in your riding.

The worst thing you can do is switch tire brands and models all the time as a new rider. You'll have to learn every tire's nuances. Hopefully not the hard way.

What tires are you running now? What don't you like about them? Or are you just looking to try something new?

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode