Great Lakes Dragaway - Bike day - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Great Lakes Dragaway - Bike day

I talked to a few friends of mine that go up there regulary and they said Thursdays would be the night...

Anyone up for going this or next week?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

What time? This Thursday might be a wash as they are expecting rain every day this week. I would bring the GSXR 600
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Steve View Post
What time? This Thursday might be a wash as they are expecting rain every day this week. I would bring the GSXR 600
so would I... I belive it starts at 5 and goes until 9...

next week I should have the 1098 also, so that would work in my hands as well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

Yeah, weather is not looking so hot up here this week.

Also, if you've never been there, make sure you have a chain guard on your bike. They still passed us in tech, but said "next time we see you, you better have one."

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Sportbike: Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 16
How you found us: milk carton

I'm planning on heading up there tomorrow. The weather still looks good for now.

Wally
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

May 12th or the next one?

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 AM

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: Off Road-15; Street-8
How you found us: Google

I might be down for riding up there with you guys. Next week. I cant this week.

Last edited by BlackBettyR1; 05-10-2011 at 08:57 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

I just started a thread about this in the Drag strip forum yesterday. The 2WheelSpeed motorcycle drag racing series season opener is at Byron on May 21 & 22 and weeknights at Da' Grove...

What I found is if you're just going for test & tune and to see what your bike can do, Tuesdays (Test & Tunes and Street tires only night) would be a better night to go. On Tuesdays the gate fee is a tad cheaper if you're just doing T&T and you won't be waiting for long periods between runs...On Tuesdays the last time I went in Fall they let the bikes go to the front of the line in the staging lanes. They actually put the bikes in their own staging lanes and if there are bikes in the lanes they'd let them make a run before the cars in the lanes. You could actually hot lap if you wanted to. There is trophy racing later in the evening on Tuesdays, but if you want to race you pay $5 or $10 more at the gate and you'd have to stage and race against cars. I don't like that, but it's not required if you are there for T&T. Thursdays are a little more rigid because the cars on that night are dedicated race cars and the bikes that show up are pretty quick because Thursday is called Slicks & Bikes night (no street cars) and they have race eliminations after the time runs. On Thursdays I don't think you have to race against cars, though.
I'd like to join you, if you go... post up. I'll come up to spectate. I'm still on the hunt for a GS Suzuki (I've got a line on one but haven't had time to see it yet) to use as a strip bike...I'm not going to beat my '05 Triumph twin at the strip any more.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
whats required to run there? gear and saftey equip wise?

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Sportbike: Hayabusa
Years Riding: 20+ Years
How you found us: Google

I'ld be up for attending.....maybe make it a once a month outing for CLSB. Any opinions?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBettyR1 View Post
I might be down for riding up there with you guys. Next week. I cant this week.

some of us are bringing our roadrace bikes so will will not be riding up there we will be trailering as our bikes are not street legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
I just started a thread about this in the Drag strip forum yesterday. The 2WheelSpeed motorcycle drag racing series season opener is at Byron on May 21 & 22 and weeknights at Da' Grove...

What I found is if you're just going for test & tune and to see what your bike can do, Tuesdays (Test & Tunes and Street tires only night) would be a better night to go. On Tuesdays the gate fee is a tad cheaper if you're just doing T&T and you won't be waiting for long periods between runs...On Tuesdays the last time I went in Fall they let the bikes go to the front of the line in the staging lanes. They actually put the bikes in their own staging lanes and if there are bikes in the lanes they'd let them make a run before the cars in the lanes. You could actually hot lap if you wanted to. There is trophy racing later in the evening on Tuesdays, but if you want to race you pay $5 or $10 more at the gate and you'd have to stage and race against cars. I don't like that, but it's not required if you are there for T&T. Thursdays are a little more rigid because the cars on that night are dedicated race cars and the bikes that show up are pretty quick because Thursday is called Slicks & Bikes night (no street cars) and they have race eliminations after the time runs. On Thursdays I don't think you have to race against cars, though.
I'd like to join you, if you go... post up. I'll come up to spectate. I'm still on the hunt for a GS Suzuki (I've got a line on one but haven't had time to see it yet) to use as a strip bike...I'm not going to beat my '05 Triumph twin at the strip any more.

This is nice but I am not swapping my tires out from slicks to DOT's so I can run this and save a couple of bucks. Me and a couple of others are testing non street bikes
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Steve View Post
some of us are bringing our roadrace bikes so will will not be riding up there we will be trailering as our bikes are not street legal
And this stops you?

Quote:

This is nice but I am not swapping my tires out from slicks to DOT's so I can run this and save a couple of bucks. Me and a couple of others are testing non street bikes
what he said!

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:37 PM

I'm pretty sure in the case of bikes they'll let you test & tune on any night. I think the street tires only designation applies to cars. Couldn't hurt to call or email and ask. In these lean times I don't see them turning anyone away that's willing to pay the gate fee.
Safety equipment requirements are according to NHRA rules. If your bike is going to go 120 MPH or faster you'll need full leathers. Otherwise, a full helmet with a leather jacket, gloves that cover the wrists, long pants (jeans) and boots that cover the ankles are OK.
If your bike turns faster than 10.00 second E T's they will require you to get an NHRA license.
But that's pretty fast...road race bikes and track day bikes likely aren't that fast. I've turned low to mid 13's and barely cracked 100 MPH on a pretty healthy 850 4 cylinder.
Post up when you're going...it would be my pleasure to come watch and meet you all. Maybe join you on the strip when I find the bike I'm looking for.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 05-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Quote:
I'm pretty sure in the case of bikes they'll let you test & tune on any night. I think the street tires only designation applies to cars. Couldn't hurt to call or email and ask. In these lean times I don't see them turning anyone away that's willing to pay the gate fee.
Safety equipment requirements are according to NHRA rules. If your bike is going to go 120 MPH or faster you'll need full leathers. Otherwise, a full helmet with a leather jacket, gloves that cover the wrists, long pants (jeans) and boots that cover the ankles are OK.
If your bike turns faster than 10.00 second E T's they will require you to get an NHRA license.
But that's pretty fast...road race bikes and track day bikes likely aren't that fast. I've turned low to mid 13's and barely cracked 100 MPH on a pretty healthy 850 4 cylinder.
Post up when you're going...it would be my pleasure to come watch and meet you all. Maybe join you on the strip when I find the bike I'm looking for.
my buddy did a 9.999 on my bmw...

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Here's a coincidence...after I finished typing my last post I check my email box and there was an email from Great Lakes Dragaway...They plan to open tonight for their regular Tuesday program. According to what the email said trailered bikes are welcome through Spring on Tuesdays. Only restrictions on bikes is no delay boxes or other electronic devices that the drag crowd uses.

9.999 is damn fast...your buddy must have a fast hand and be pretty light! He should be drag racing for cash!

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
G2G

Shit my old 92 FZR 1000 turned a 10.38 on the day Route 66 speedway first opened, to let anyone run to get rubber on the track. That bike is 20 years old and was street legal with mild mods. I can definatly see the new modern sportbike cracking 10's
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm a non-achiever.

Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops

How about 3 thursdays from now?? If you guys do go, post up how it went, any bs to be aware of, I'll probably just go up on my own anyway when I get back in town.

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Quote:
9.999 is damn fast...your buddy must have a fast hand and be pretty light! He should be drag racing for cash!
thats slow for him, he used to do that shit all the time... but you know one gets older and wiser...

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

I think my best time at Great Lakes was a 11.8 on my 600RR and I was the slowest person in our group. I can't remember what X got on his Gixxer 1K.

I learned a ton about standing starts that night, we got a ton of runs in. I think we went on a Slicks & Bikes night, and there weren't any cars there. Well, there was one jet car, kid getting his license. That was pretty cool.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

tuesdays sound good to me. sounds like we might get a lot more passes

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Sportbike: 2008 Suzuki GSX R600
Years Riding: Long enough to know that stupid hurts.
How you found us: shawnb114 invited me on a cruise and I was hooked.

Send a message via AIM to GIZMO
I'd be up for a tuesday night.

You wanna see my itinerary?
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
...I learned a ton about standing starts that night, we got a ton of runs in...
Yep...There's no place in the world like the drag strip to hone the skills of getting a super holeshot in any kind of racing...and to get the high speed jetting spot on if you have carbs.

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Weather permitting, anyone planning on going to the Grove tonight?

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

i'm still likely game for next week tuesday

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
i'm still likely game for next week tuesday
I'd rather do Thursday, but might be down for tuesday as well, have to see what the bike is doing at that point...

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM

I'm Going to drive up this evening with my nephew...he's never been to a drag strip...just gonna scope it out and hopefully get to see some fast cars and bikes make passes. If the weather is good on Tuesday I might run up for some spectating...still looking for a bike to run but I'm sure I'll find something that fits my criteria in short order...If I see or hear anything that you all may find of interest I'll post it.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered F'n User

Sportbike: 2012 ZX-14R, 2012 R1, 2008 Stratoliner
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Saw the ad in 'D-Cups' magazine

I've done this tons of times - it's a fun night. I usually took my V-Rod and also dragged a few of my friend's bikes (Harleys) but did my FZ-1 a few times.

I want to take my 08 CBR1K there, even though I'm sure I won't be able to launch worth shit. They were pretty lax on equipment regs when I went - probably because we were on Harleys most of the time. They were letting guys with regular shoes and cloth gloves run the strip.

Did my brother's Big Dog once, fun as hell whatever you run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15BcE-DhsOc

You'll see everything from stock 883's to turbo Hayabusas. The ride back on 94 was always at warp speed, and the ride up we would take Rt 45 - some traffic to deal with (unless you left before 3pm) but nice, beautiful roads once out of the congestion.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Sportbike: GSX-R1000
How you found us: some guy....some call him stig

I am in..... for next thursday if weather permits. will probably ride as I don't have a trailer, went last year and had a ton of fun for just 35$ I believe it costs.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I'm a possible for either days, just weather pending.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM

The weather stayed good last evening and there were some pretty fast cars there last night. Mostly doing Time runs and test & tune. There were only 2 bikes...An '83 GS 1100 that was modified for drag racing with an aluminum swingarm and wheelie bar that was kind of rough...the rider said it had been sitting for a few years. It made a few runs in the 10's at about 120+ and then he packed up and left early. The other bike was a late model HD with alot of chrome but obviously built turning low 11's to mid 10's at about 110 mph...some of his runs were surprising but he was obviously experienced on the strip and the bike was set up with a bar. He ended up in a money race (handicap) against a big block Chevy. He flubbed the start and the Chevy ran him down and beat him for the $139 derived from entry fee payback I gather.
If a half dozen CLSB riders showed last night you would have owned the place motorcycle wise...Some of the cars were pretty quick...saw some runs in the low 9's at 160!
Ahhhhhh my first smell of burnt rubber of the season...it was my nephews first ever...he said he liked it!

PS...Anyone know of a solid running chain drive GS Suzuki...late 70's / early 80's 750 or up for sale let me know...they're still regarded as great bracket bikes!

EDIT: PSS...I'm planning to ride to Byron next week on the 22nd for the 2WheelSpeed event. The tentative plan as of now is to leave the city 9ish and get out away from the congestion and backroad it to Byron. Stop & and have a burger at a nice Bar & Grill in town around 11:30 and head over to the strip which is only a matter of blocks away in time for the 1 PM elimination rounds...Anyone who'd like to join me is welcome. I'll likely be picking up "outlanders" at variuos points along the way.

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 05-15-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode