Youth Racing - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
JMN
Fornello Del Testicolo

Sportbike: 996
Years Riding: since 85'
How you found us: Google

Youth Racing

Hi clsb. Loooong time no posts. Anyway - My boy is about to turn four and I have been casually looking for youth roadracing in our area and it doesn't look good. He's not going to be on two wheels right away but I don't see it very far-off and I wanted to get him racing pocket bikes. I guess I assumed that most higher-end go kart tracks would also have pocket bike racing, but it doesn't look that way. Anyone have any info on getting the little ones on the track in this area?

~Jesse

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Curious what this brings. I think I checked on this quite a while ago, and had very little luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Youth road racing is very scarce at best and I don't know of any going on locally. I'd say that you should think dirt. There is already a thriving youth racing program going on all around you with youth classes in MX, Hare Scrambles, Grand Prix, Trials, Hillclimb and even dirt track. There are also lower key events geared to families and youth like family enduros and egg hunts.
Check out www.amadistrict17.com and www.midwestenduros.com for more info about local youth racing.
All the great ones started in the dirt...Kenny Roberts, Wayne Rainey, Eddie Lawson, Freddie Spencer, Nicky Hayden and even Valentino Rossi just to name a few.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Super Moto or Mini moto may be the best choice for him. http://northwoodsgp.com/

I don't know much about it, but maybe that points you in the right direction.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
JMN
Fornello Del Testicolo

Sportbike: 996
Years Riding: since 85'
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
... I'd say that you should think dirt.
My first bike was an 85' KX60, so I hear you - but I would have jumped at the chance to road race at that age.

~Jesse

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Sorry, I'm no help with your question, but would like to say:

Please, be sure this is what HE wants.

This sport is a passion, and sharing that passion with your son is awesome, as long as it is what they want to do.

If you don't understand the point I'm trying to make watch "Toddlers and Tearra's." So many people live vicariously through their kids. Living out their dreams as children, through their own kids, never realizing that the kids are miserable, and only do it because mom/dad force them to.

Goodluck in the adventure that awaits you and your son.

If you go dirt, KTM's are a pretty competative starter, and openely available.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Sportbike: KTM / Suzuki
Years Riding: Long enough
How you found us: Geomoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
Super Moto or Mini moto may be the best choice for him. http://northwoodsgp.com/

I don't know much about it, but maybe that points you in the right direction.
This. The NWGP guys are basically an adult mini roadracing group. A couple years ago they broadened their scope to include full size Supermoto bikes, and also added a more Beginner friendly class. The "Mini Touring" class listed on their site, while not purely limited to kids, has basically become a kids class. The son of one of the organizers of the series started racing last year at 5 or 6 yrs old I think. There aren't a lot of kids, but typically 3 or 4 under 10 yrs old. Their website isn't the most detailed on information, but there are quite a few people on here that post in the Supermoto section that run with that organization.

As OTBr said, there are a lot more options in dirt, and in many ways, I would agree that dirt may offer a wider array of learning opportunities, but there are some RR options in the area.

The race that NWGP has up at Badger Kartway in October would be a good chance to take your boy to go see it first hand. It is the closest to Chicago at about 1.5-2 hrs Northwest of the city (half hour west of Milwaukee).

I just got a used PW50 for my 3 1/2 yr old daughter, so I'm in a similar position you are. She won't be riding it until she gets better on her bicycle (probably next year, but having it sit in the garage has been great motivation for her). I will probably get a set of road tires for it along with the dirt tires and take her with to all the places I ride to see what she wants to jump into.

---------------------------
Colin.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Its me

Sportbike: DRZ,VFR & Misc. Dirtbikes
Years Riding: 35 years
How you found us: Member/Jrock

I tried to get my son into street racing a few years back and also couldn't find anything local. Another issue that we faced was gear. It was impossible to find good quality leathers unless I wanted a custom set with a large pricetag. Even a street helmet was hard to find although we went with a womens extra small which he wears on the street now. We opted for mostly dirt and he has a blast. He's just turned 11 and is faster than most of my buddies (on our backyard track). Good Luck !!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Sugar River Raceway used to do a family-oriented YSR mini series. They're up in Brodhead, WI.

www.sugarriverraceway.com

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 AM
TMC

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto804 View Post

I just got a used PW50 for my 3 1/2 yr old daughter, so I'm in a similar position you are. She won't be riding it until she gets better on her bicycle (probably next year, but having it sit in the garage has been great motivation for her). I will probably get a set of road tires for it along with the dirt tires and take her with to all the places I ride to see what she wants to jump into.

My son started with his PW50 at 3.5 yrs on training wheels last year and stayed on them until this spring. He could not ride his bicycle without training wheels until after he was able to ride his PW without them. It seemed easy for him to ride the PW without training wheels because he didn't have to concentrate on pedaling to move and balance, just grab some throttle and go. A few days after riding the PW without t-wheels he was good to go on his bicycle too and I never had to run behind him.

I do suggest the training wheels on the PW too because it gives them a change to figure out the throttle, brakes, riding position etc without worry about falling over. At that age you just can't throw too much at them all at once.

Good Luck with the PW!

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Sportbike: KTM / Suzuki
Years Riding: Long enough
How you found us: Geomoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOlsen View Post
Sugar River Raceway used to do a family-oriented YSR mini series. They're up in Brodhead, WI.

www.sugarriverraceway.com
I'm not sure of the full history on this, but at some point this series merged and/or got taken over by the Northwoods GP group. They still do one race a year at Sugar River (last weekend), but the rest of their races are at Badger Kartway in Dousman, WI, Road America on the Kartplex track, and USA International Raceway in Shawano, WI.

USAIR is the farthest from Chicago at ~4 1/2 hrs, but it is a really cool track.

Sugar River also has open practice for bikes the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month from April thru October.

---------------------------
Colin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode