More upper body off? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
More upper body off?

I just physically can't move my upper body off the bike an further. My elbow won't go past the gas cap and I want move off more. eEjeremy recomended to slide the clipon in more. I never thought of that for some reason. Rocket science right? I'm hoping I still feel like there's good leverage.






"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered User
 
Dug2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: schiller park
Posts: 2,735
Location: schiller park
Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine
           
im half the rider u r nick, but i'll comment anyways; not sure if i would decrease
my leverage by pushin bars inward. mine are all the way out, and i wish i had 1
more inch even. maybe its just the wrong bike?? idk? doesnt matter much i guess,
yer still a beast imo.

418
Dug2 is offline  
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
The Plumber
 
Matoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Posts: 1,261
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Sportbike: 05 SV650S
Years Riding: enough
How you found us: Another member on another board I visit
           
Send a message via AIM to Matoo
Smash the tank down like a mad stunna yo. Problem solved

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
Matoo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered User
 
suh-c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates
Posts: 11,448
Location: Hoffman Estates
Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug2 View Post
im half the rider u r nick, but i'll comment anyways; not sure if i would decrease
my leverage by pushin bars inward. mine are all the way out, and i wish i had 1
more inch even. maybe its just the wrong bike?? idk? doesnt matter much i guess,
yer still a beast imo.
Just slide the forks up to compensate
suh-c is offline  
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered User
 
NickIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Westminster, Colorado
Posts: 3,260
Location: Westminster, Colorado
Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google
           
Send a message via AIM to NickIF
hgh for longer arms?
NickIF is offline  
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Midnight Rider
 
PatFitz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North side
Posts: 3,885
Location: North side
Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net
           
You have adjustable rearsets? Maybe moving the pegs up will give you more room to hang off. Any adjustment would be pretty minimal though. How much extra are you looking to gain? A few inches or more?

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
PatFitz9 is offline  
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered User
 
Dug2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: schiller park
Posts: 2,735
Location: schiller park
Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoo View Post
Smash the tank down like a mad stunna yo. Problem solved
smash the tank like yer u mean??

yer dumm

418
Dug2 is offline  
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 PM
The Plumber
 
Matoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Posts: 1,261
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Sportbike: 05 SV650S
Years Riding: enough
How you found us: Another member on another board I visit
           
Send a message via AIM to Matoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug2 View Post
smash the tank like yer u mean??

yer dumm
No no no, I meant he should do it on purpose. And more in the middle.

**typed on the macbook pro balanced precariously on said tank**


How about dirt bike bars like the black sv Nick?

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
Matoo is offline  
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Mooooooove!!
 
j_fuggin_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shitparaiso, IN
Posts: 571
Location: Shitparaiso, IN
Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day
   
I used to hang off quite a bit but i've since changed it up a bit, i guess the question you have to ask yourself and you may need a picture to see just how much clearance you DON'T have, mainly need to find out if you're running out of room. If you've got a lot of room left, hanging off more may not be the answer.

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21
j_fuggin_t is offline  
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered User
 
Nexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,662
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea
           
Send a message via AIM to Nexus
I have no advice, but let's see pics of that whole Aprilia!
Nexus is offline  
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM
The Plumber
 
Matoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Posts: 1,261
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Sportbike: 05 SV650S
Years Riding: enough
How you found us: Another member on another board I visit
           
Send a message via AIM to Matoo
yea, I've only seen the back of it! lol

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
Matoo is offline  
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered User
 
Dug2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: schiller park
Posts: 2,735
Location: schiller park
Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine
           
yer still a dope ^ hahaha

418
Dug2 is offline  
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           



"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug2 View Post
im half the rider u r nick, but i'll comment anyways; not sure if i would decrease
my leverage by pushin bars inward. mine are all the way out, and i wish i had 1
more inch even. maybe its just the wrong bike?? idk? doesnt matter much i guess,
yer still a beast imo.
You've been riding pretty good yourself but I think we need to rob you off a little horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoo View Post
Smash the tank down like a mad stunna yo. Problem solved
Plastic tank pal. no can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
You have adjustable rearsets? Maybe moving the pegs up will give you more room to hang off. Any adjustment would be pretty minimal though. How much extra are you looking to gain? A few inches or more?
No, stock rearsets so I can't do that. I don't really know how much I'm looking for. I guess all in all i'm getting used to a different bike and I seam to be running into a brick wall with how hard I can ride. The bike is way more physically challenging to ride and just bigger than an SV or 600 I've ever riden at pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fuggin_t View Post
I used to hang off quite a bit but i've since changed it up a bit, i guess the question you have to ask yourself and you may need a picture to see just how much clearance you DON'T have, mainly need to find out if you're running out of room. If you've got a lot of room left, hanging off more may not be the answer.
Good point, but I think I'm using up most of my lean angle that's why I feel like I need to get off the bike more.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
I have no advice, but let's see pics of that whole Aprilia!
Pics posted

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Mooooooove!!
 
j_fuggin_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shitparaiso, IN
Posts: 571
Location: Shitparaiso, IN
Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day
   
thats not horrible, whats your front tire look like?? pretty far on the edge or do ya have a tad bit of a strip? I think you could benefit some if you picked your knee up.. whadda ya think?

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21
j_fuggin_t is offline  
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fuggin_t View Post
thats not horrible, whats your front tire look like?? pretty far on the edge or do ya have a tad bit of a strip? I think you could benefit some if you picked your knee up.. whadda ya think?
I think I could benefit some if my balls would grow a little bigger.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Mooooooove!!
 
j_fuggin_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shitparaiso, IN
Posts: 571
Location: Shitparaiso, IN
Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I think I could benefit some if my balls would grow a little bigger.
I agree!! I tried to get Ricardo to do a brain transplant but it didn't work out LOL

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21
j_fuggin_t is offline  
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fuggin_t View Post
I agree!! I tried to get Ricardo to do a brain transplant but it didn't work out LOL
There's levels of the sickness typically on a 1 to 10 scale where 1 is the least amount and 10 being the most sick. Ricardo is bordering a 9.2 to 9.5 scale. I'd like to see him get on some good equipment and race in Daytona Sportbike to see if could run up in the top 5. If I had the money to blow I would sponsor that dude. But I'm poor.

Anyway, the front tire is almost all being used besides a mm maybe...


"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Charles Il
Posts: 1,578
Location: St. Charles Il
Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you
           
All the cool kids are on Aprilias now... I sorta miss my Mille.

Like I told K3 and Palella the big Ape is a cornerspeed bike.
It is not what you would first expect from a big twin
That chassis can take huge cornering loads and be stable as a aircraft carrier.

It looks like you are hanging off fine, just bring your entry and mid speed up and let her lean to the deck.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
5AXIS is offline  
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AXIS View Post
All the cool kids are on Aprilias now... I sorta miss my Mille.

Like I told K3 and Palella the big Ape is a cornerspeed bike.
It is not what you would first expect from a big twin
That chassis can take huge cornering loads and be stable as a aircraft carrier.

It looks like you are hanging off fine, just bring your entry and mid speed up and let her lean to the deck.
I might have to crash this thing just to see how far it will lean. I hope not though.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Charles Il
Posts: 1,578
Location: St. Charles Il
Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you
           
Just saw the stock rearsets
You can lean it until a set of woodcrafts peg out, and the rest of the bike will ask you to shorten the pegs.

I also found doing the ancient Keith Code trick of cranking the idle way up made the bike feel a lot more friendly on/off the gas. Some tracks I was running up to 4k idle speed ( i do not like any engine braking)

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
5AXIS is offline  
post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AXIS View Post
Just saw the stock rearsets
You can lean it until a set of woodcrafts peg out, and the rest of the bike will ask you to shorten the pegs.

I also found doing the ancient Keith Code trick of cranking the idle way up made the bike feel a lot more friendly on/off the gas. Some tracks I was running up to 4k idle speed ( i do not like any engine braking)
No shit? So it's pretty essential for me to get the pegs up and back a bit huh?

I'm going to try turning up the idle to.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Charles Il
Posts: 1,578
Location: St. Charles Il
Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
No shit? So it's pretty essential for me to get the pegs up and back a bit huh?

I'm going to try turning up the idle to.

Chaz Davies was a fast 250 rider and got along with the Ape well.
Ben Thompson was a traditional I4 1K rider and struggled

Corner speed makes it all better

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
5AXIS is offline  
post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AXIS View Post
Chaz Davies was a fast 250 rider and got along with the Ape well.
Ben Thompson was a traditional I4 1K rider and struggled

Corner speed makes it all better
So do you think I should stick with ape or keep shopping for a 600?

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Midnight Rider
 
PatFitz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North side
Posts: 3,885
Location: North side
Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net
           
Compared to the SV, even a 600 will feel big. I know you're pretty comfortable getting on a bike and ripping it, but any new bike will feel a little uncomfortable. A 600 sounds like an easier transition for you, but I'm sure you can figure out the ape. The question is, do you want to?

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
PatFitz9 is offline  
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Charles Il
Posts: 1,578
Location: St. Charles Il
Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
So do you think I should stick with ape or keep shopping for a 600?
I'd try to learn something new and work on riding the Ape and see if you come around to it like K3 and Palella.
Besides everybody has a I4 6 and as good as they are, they are not big twin cool.

Just cranking the idle made me feel a lot more comfortable on mine.

Perception is your reality, and feeling comfortable on the bike will alter that perception dramatically.

Get some woodcraft rearsets, crank the idle and let some hot sticky rubber do its magic.
You will see the light.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C

Last edited by 5AXIS; 08-20-2011 at 02:54 PM.
5AXIS is offline  
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AXIS View Post
I'd try to learn something new and work on riding the Ape and see if you come around to it like K3 and Palella.
Besides everybody has a I4 6 and as good as they are, they are not big twin cool.

Just cranking the idle made me feel a lot more comfortable on mine.

Perception is your reality, and feeling comfortable on the bike will alter that perception dramatically.

Get some woodcraft rearsets, crank the idle and let some hot sticky rubber do its magic.
You will see the light.
10-4 Elinore. I appreciate the motivational support. And you know me, I love the thumpers. Singles and twins baby.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered User
 
Nexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,662
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea
           
Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Cool looking Aprilia. You are faster than almost everyone with an SV so I'm sure you will be tearing it up on that thing soon.
Nexus is offline  
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Cool looking Aprilia. You are faster than almost everyone with an SV so I'm sure you will be tearing it up on that thing soon.
Not Palella though. LOL! That's my mission to be good enough to just ride with that dude. Now if I could just hang with Ricardo or Dano... Maybe I'm dreaming.

I'm going nuts right now knowing all my friends are at Blackhawk racing. Stupid dirtbike injuries.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Gixxer Rider
 
Nolan1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,340
Location: Chicago, IL
Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Not Palella though. LOL! That's my mission to be good enough to just ride with that dude. Now if I could just hang with Ricardo or Dano... Maybe I'm dreaming.
You've got your answer right there. Ask Palella. I bet he will help you set that thing up and he actually rides one fast. As for Ricardo and Dano, you'll need an I4 scalpel to go that quick and a trip to their home planets.

Track Junkie #79
Nolan1300 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome