Michelin Power Pure VS. Dunlop Sportmax Q2 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Google

Michelin Power Pure VS. Dunlop Sportmax Q2

Hey guys, Its about time for new tires and I was debating between the two. I can have them both mounted to the rims for pretty much the same exact price so cost is not the issue. I was wondering from guys who have tried them both out which ones they recommend and why. This is for a track only SV650 if that matters. I read a tire comparison article on motorcycleusa.com and they said that the Q2's were just as good as the Michelin Power Ones which are a better track tire than the power pures and are way more expensive. so does this mean that the Q2's are a superior track tire than the Power Pures? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

I never rode the pures ( i belive pilot x had them...) i rode the Q2s at Miller a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed with the performance they heat up fast and had very good grip.

Although I'm a PIRELLI guy...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Yea and I can get the Q2's for $229 shipped which is an awesome price which is what drew me to them. I have Pilot Power 2ct's now and love them but want to go a step higher as far as performance track tires go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I had diablo corsa 3's on my buell and loved them but pirellis are a bit more expensive
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

I've used michelin, dunlop, metzlers, pirelli's etc...

I use michelin now for a few reasons and some of those reasons stem from the company's conduct when faced with tire issues. Dunlop had issues and they completely denied them and over a dozen people were injured due to it. That was a few years ago and the details about it are vague now.

I am a pirelli guy as well, but the cost compared to the michelins i dont care for. keep in mind I do get the michelin's just a tick cheaper than you do....and i do mean just a tick. Mark up on tires is very, very little. Side by side michelin vs dunlop I would pick michelin every time regardless of cost.

performance wise I can personally attest to michelin's quality. they are 98% compared to pirelli IMO (depending on tire and its designated usage)

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
i ran pures for a bunch of track days last year and until a short time ago this year

I was quite happy with them last year, even running into the bottom of STT A group pace

this year I was equally pleased with the tires preformance until I crashed. I crashed because of my riding, not any flaw with the tire, I simply asked a lot more of it than it was capable of

as for how they work
they warm up quickly(no warmers) and gripped reliably, when i did slip the rear tire a minor amount it was predictable and i could feel it

they are decently long lasting as well, though tire life is not something i was concerned too much about. i got 11 track days on the front and 6/5 on the rears

at a novice to intermediate pace i would say they will do the job admirably, beyond that, based on my experience i would move up to a different tire at advanced pace.

-Jason
CCS AM #31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode