my 2011 CCS Season... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

my 2011 CCS Season...

So this is it! My 2011 (Racing) Season.

Well Where to start? Beginning of the year I started with a track day at Barber and following that two days Jennings, where I had my first crash this year based on personal stupidity…. It was a great start of the year despite the fact of having to fix-up the bike already in February…

Due to the great Midwest weather and other factors I didn’t make in back on track until early April and dropped the bike again in the first lap of the first session after not checking my tire pressure, yay great start of the day…

April brought the first CCS Race event in Topeka, KS. I got to drive there with Jordan and had fun but couldn’t really get into the groove of running the bike on that track. I had problems with the bike cutting out under full speed and the weather wasn’t that great either to learn a new track. I took second in the first Super Twins race of the season after leading the AM it the whole race, and just getting passed with 100ft to go… Well the HW SBK race was even worse and I ended somewhere in the middle I wasn’t too happy with the result but oh well… The second day brought another two races, I finally got my mind together and finished on top in the Super Twins but still slacked in HW SBK, at least some progress, ey?

The next Race-event was back “home” at Blackhawk Farms in MAY. The weather good for the most of the day but I once again had some issues with my mind and just couldn’t put the dots together and finished last in HW SBK… Well I had another race, the last one of the day, Super Twins, to get my mind straight with about 15min to go, the sky broke open and it was like someone dropped a huge bucket over Blackhawk, everything was floating, the track was covered in several inches of water, it got bad real quick. The race ahead of mine was stopped and restarted a while later. Within a few moments I had to make a decision on changing to rain tires. Lucky for me, I had a lot of friends that helped and we swapped the tires quickly, well let’s say I saw bikes going down hot-pit-lane as Wally tighten up the brake calibers… My rain tire experience was asking DanO and a few other people what you can do with them and he telling me pretty much the same as normal, but it is important to be smooth… My learning stated the moment I hit hot pit, a wheelie proved that the acceleration in standing water was there and I could just keep on going… Than the only thing I had left to find out was, what happens if you brake hard, the endo onto the starting grid was the answer to that one… When the green flag dropped I was very confident about the race and felt good, maybe it was the part about pulling a wheelie of the line, I can’t remember. I passed a few people byT3 and all I had ahead of me was Steve who showed and helped me a lot since I first started with track-riding. In T4 I had to pass him as I kept having to slow down more than I felt like I should have. I stared to put my head down and got in the groove of just riding my speed and my style. Since Topeka I was told not to look back, which I didn’t after lap 3 when there was nobody in sight for the whole back straight, I started to really like and enjoy the rain and felt very comfy. The result of that were a few one wheel action scenes… This was the best race I had so far and I had so much fun. It also gave me my confidence back from the weak start of the season.

For the Memorial day weekend, I booked a trip to Salt Lake City and Miller Motorsports Park. The first three day got to watch the WSBK and AMA Riders show their skills in the changing conditions, this was some of the best racing I witnessed live, well I didn’t see too much… Getting the close-up with the Teams, Riders and bikes was just amazing. In the following days I took a class with YCRS and instantly learned a lot about the things I do wrong on a bike, and which I should change up to get better control, and feeling for the bike. Those three days were very helpful and will help me to work on my future way of riding.

The next CCS round was not until late July and I did a few track days to keep my senses in check and to start using what I learned at Miller. Once again I get tricked with bad luck and the 1098 engine gives up, after only one session. Bad day!
Going through the proceeding of the event afterwards in fast forward… I need a new engine and the bike will not be ready for the CCS round… In order to keep my target of the Super Twin championship in sight, I had to find a backup plan and find my Hypermotard as only solution…

The July Round with the CCS Double sprint weekend had a clear target for me, at least make twice a 4th place or the chance to win the class is gone… Well I was in third place with the down powered bike for most of the race and than got motored on the front straight with 2 laps to go and no way of catching back up… The second race got postponed after some bad crashes where two of my friends got injured very badly.

With the cost involved in the repair of the Duc, I decided to reduce the amount of track days I attended so the next time I really got on track was the August Round. The make up race was planned for Saturday, and things went great, after a shitty start, as always, I was back in the AM lead by T5 and that the way it stayed for the rest of the race. Sunday the same which made me feel good. I had dropped the HW SBK for that weekend as I didn’t wanted to stress the bike more than necessary.

Well the days went on and I had the urge for doing something stupid so I prepped the BMW for the track and rode it at Blackhawk for a few days and was very amazed how a street bike handles and what a real 1000cc bike can do if you kinda know what you can do… Well I was still shown my place in the food chain by the fast guys but I was pretty happy to see the times drop down below the 1098 Race times.

Well and than we are already at the end of the season, the September twin sprints I went practicing Friday and notice a cone just of the apex in the Bus stop. The second to last practice session just had one intention for me, get that cone! I got closer and closer and than finally the second to last lap I did it, and chuckled for the rest of the lap in my helmet…. Well until the bike died in Turn1 … and I was the jackass who ran out of gas… yep shit happens… Last session, I take the checker and same thing again, bike dies, this time the dash goes on and off and than just OFF…. I went and drove home to pick up the backup bike just in case, and started working on the 1098 as soon as I got back, I was sure I had it fixed when I notice the dash plug was loose. So I went to bed all relaxed and skipped the first practice on Saturday. Bad Idea, I did a few laps in the second practice session and the bike died again with the same symptoms, I pulled off after the bus stop and promptly dropped the bike in the wet grass… however that cured the issue and I was thinking about going back out, on the way to hot pit it died again and didn’t wanted to come back on. All nervous and ready to kill any Italian engineer, I got help form Kenny Olson who finally helped me find the problem in the fuse box, some connections were to loose and wires wouldn’t connect, after some rigging the bike started and seemed to be reliable, as it was too late for the practice, I had to enter the race without knowing if the bike ran or not. It did and I took the win in SuperTwins and a second in HW SBK behind Alex Walker, who had a very good season. Sunday the HW SBK was first and I took another second and had lots of fun chasing Murph the whole race. The Super Twins was just a survival thing I knew I had won the class after I did two laps, and with nobody in sight behind me, I started to get stupid, I guess only 2/3 of the track saw my front wheel, and where ever I saw someone I knew, it went up towards the sky, as long as I had enough pavement… When I took the checked flag without the front wheel on the ground, I got my hand slapped but winning the race and the class was well worth it…

The season was a very good one, my first full and hopefully only Amateur season. I’m proud of what I accomplished and can’t thank everyone enough that helped me get there. I’m not even going to start naming people as there are too many who gave me pointers and advice this year or went and helped me get the bike going again after all the issues that came up… Without all you, I would have been done before I even turned one wheel.

A few people I like to pick out as they were there whenever I needed
anything: Steve and Tea, Dustin and Megan ( and the computer for weather.com…) Team Squid, Team Chouffe, Dennis, Tim, Paul, …
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Awesome write up, Stefan and such a great success!!
I am so proud of you!

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

I like that picture! 2 of my favorite people....JOB WELL DONE GENTLEMEN...

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Well done Sir.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

If you need more G2G racing stickers for ur new rider for 2012 let me know. They are worth 5hp each. LOL Congrats dude!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
Lieber Klaus, kann ich nur sagen-Job! Ich war fun watching you Rennen und alles, was ich nur wünschen kann, ist in der Lage sein, als nur halb so gut wie möglich zu fahren. Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Ihrem fanatstic Jahr und die Supertwins Championship.

Ihr Bruder Stefan

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Thanks' everyone!
I can only do on the bike what people tell me, I don't have that much experience on the track as a lot of other people. Jennings last year was my first time on a race track, and I'm very blessed with all the good friends I made and have that tell me what to do and what not to do. I forgot a lot of people above that got me where I ended up. Kim, Nolan and Greg were also a big part of this.

Do you guys remember what I did last year? I thing there was almost no trackday at which I crashed or almost crashed. This year - no real crash at all - and I'm going faster and saver, and I think if there would have been a need for it I could have probably turned the speed up without any issues.

Yes Steve I will need some new stickers. but that has time until next year.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

good season my friend.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

Gute Arbeit mein Bruder!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

'relllis team . awesome even radio announcer has been complementing your riding . congrats !

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Congrats. I don't know what you say half the time, but you seem like a good guy.

You, me, Tea, we've all been down on ourselves in the last year or two and wondered if we should take up checkers. We leaned on each other. Took the advice of those around us. Invested the time and money to make ourselves better riders. Now we are finally enjoying the rewards

I'm glad to see you enjoying this again. To bad you get yelled at for doing so Way to go Capt. Wheelie!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:13 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Great job all, representing Nesba and CLSB! Stephan, I told you wheelies are dangerous.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Congrats Stefan! Kim and I are very proud of you as well. BTW that picture of you and Palella is priceless. Wish we were there to witness this last round.

Track Junkie #79
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Congrats, bearing through the struggles, and reaping the rewards!

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Last edited by scout67; 09-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
with 2 n's

Sportbike: 2000 SV650(street), 2009 TTR230(dirt)
How you found us: member

Send a message via Yahoo to glenn
Well done Herr Doplinski.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Sportbike: 08 r6

^^Haha that's awesome.

Alex
CCS/NESBA/STT A #424
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalk9905 View Post
^^Haha that's awesome.
I was coming for you in Middle Weight Superbike Your lucky they shortened that race

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
I was coming for you in Middle Weight Superbike Your lucky they shortened that race

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
How'd you do in it?

Alex
CCS/NESBA/STT A #424
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalk9905 View Post
How'd you do in it?
I took 3rd. I made the pass for second place in turn 6 and again in turn 7, but the little SV with my big butt had no chance to win the drag race to the line.

I was hoping for rain so I could come and make you work for a win for once. 50/50 chance and it ended up being sunny all day.

Nice job this season. You were rollin' all year! I heard some experts that were looking forward to you coming to race against them next season.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Nice going on the 3rd! I'm looking forward to racing expert.

Germany - I wish I had a camera on my bike pointing backwards in our race . I looked back and right on me waving!

Alex
CCS/NESBA/STT A #424
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000/GSXR1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Buddy

Send a message via MSN to BFLY
Way to go my friend.

過労死
--------------------------------------------
Brian
Nesba #98
CBR1000
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Alex you are a fantastic rider, i tried as much as I could to hang with you but fell back once you passed murf. It was cool seeing your reaction when you looked back...lol
Congratulations on everything you won. It was always good to see you and your dad out there.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:51 PM

Congrats to you too! I can't wait to see you on that BMW (with a white plate)!

Alex
CCS/NESBA/STT A #424
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
NIGHT RIDER

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Raven R6
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: internet

Congrats Germany! Awesome write up, and thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully, I can build on my foundation, improve, and learn more next season.

I'm looking forward to trying different tracks. It would be cool if you can give me some pointers too on the track or advice when we hit ride on the streets?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

"In his heart, a man plans his course but the Lord determines his steps" (Proverbs 16:9)

Last edited by envious369; 09-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Congrats!!

is it me or what that write up the most well thought out, correctly spelled, and most understood thing to come from Germany?? Ever?!! :P
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Take it to the track! Oh snap, you did! Nice work man. Next year will be even better.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Congrats!!

is it me or what that write up the most well thought out, correctly spelled, and most understood thing to come from Germany?? Ever?!! :P
this is what i was thinking.

it's nice to be able to understand everything he is trying to communicate to me for a change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode