Qstars Laptimer/Datalogger - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Qstars Laptimer/Datalogger

Has anyone used one of these? If so what do you think of it? What do you think of the software and or data export abilities?

Checking out the Qstars BT-Q1000eX 10Hz

I was going to use an old iphone for the job but this one is pretty affordable and the software for it looks decent (I was going to buy Dash and that alone is over 50$ if I remember correctly)

It's $199 retail for this. Reviews seem decent and that is mostly for the older 5hz model.

I used to have a Starlane back in 2009 but I didn't like it very much. In talking with one of the users on here offline he was referring to how happy he is with the Athon now, perhaps they have worked out the bugs.

I am looking for something to give me some idea how I am stacking up in parts of the tracks I like and the parts I have difficulty with + I would like to be able to do GPS overlay to GoPro videos. I already have a decent idea how slow I am

Edit: Here is an image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
The Plumber

Sportbike: 05 SV650S
Years Riding: enough
How you found us: Another member on another board I visit

Send a message via AIM to Matoo
No experience with that model, but there is a way to do all the same stuff for a bit cheaper. Pick up one of the non logging bluetooth models, an android phone and buy the trackmaster app from the market for five bucks.

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoo View Post
No experience with that model, but there is a way to do all the same stuff for a bit cheaper. Pick up one of the non logging bluetooth models, an android phone and buy the trackmaster app from the market for five bucks.
I was going to do it for less with an old iphone 3gs I have (I had a couple old ones laying around users turned in a year or two ago)
but this seems to be a lot easier and more accurate, quicker and just all around a better fit. Pricewise it is 200$ retail.. the other systems will cost around 100$ plus a phone and be all hobbled together. I'd rather spend the extra hundo and not have to waste hours trying to get it all to work right and or process/convert/process content a bunch of times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 PM
The Plumber

My cheaper idea only works if you already have the android phone, so you are right. Qstars has a really good reputation though. One of my next purchases will be one of their BT units since I already have and use trackmaster with an older model. Nothing hobbled together about it however. It is just using the phone as the logger instead of the GPS unit, no extra processing or converting involved.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoo View Post
My cheaper idea only works if you already have the android phone, so you are right. Qstars has a really good reputation though. One of my next purchases will be one of their BT units since I already have and use trackmaster with an older model. Nothing hobbled together about it however. It is just using the phone as the logger instead of the GPS unit, no extra processing or converting involved.
I meant no offense with the term hobbled together. I take pride in coming up with cheaper ideas to make stuff work (was basically my job for 3-4 years recently) but in this case I meant it a couple ways. With the phone BT dongle method I had a lot more pieces and items on the bike. Phone, tracker, camera and I had to make sure all were going and two were talking and all were charged. Software wise I had to do whatever with video then get another app to sync extruded gps data to video. Where with this system it looks like it comes with that functionality. That software alone was 50 or 100 bucks.

I haven't decided on this. But it looks promising.

Btw you'd have to know how clusterfucked my trackdays tend to be. It's amazing I show up on the line with my pants on. Hence I'm trying to KISS as much as possible.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

Just started playing with a Qstars this season and finding it very helpfull.

The madmonkey guys have several good videos explaining the unit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MadMonkeyMotorsports

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

I have the Starlane and have to say, I hate the software. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet. But I'm not loving it. I've seen this unit that 5axis has. If he can use it, it can't be complicated

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I want to see the gps when Greg goes "off roading".

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
I want to see the gps when Greg goes "off roading".

Dave I was going to let something you posted the other day go.... But since you chimed in

I saw you post how you live 90 min from Jennings and how you haven't ridden on the street in years... So how many track days have you done at Jennings recently? I'm assuming from your post weekly? A couple a month?

Oh and I my starlane had a couple of those straight off the side of the track tracks logged, thanks for reminding me jerk lol

Edit: changed don't to done

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 07-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

I had one of those and didnt like the software, ive found the best prog out there and ive tried most of em is racechronos, they dont have it for iphones but droid or windows your in. you can get the cheaper qstars bt gps transmitter and tie it to the whone for 5khz timing just go to racechrono.com and look for the dwnloads or the droid market place for the down load for droid. i prefer the windows mobile phone i have with the qstars gps b/t transmitter - super easy and lasts all day. i wouldnt waste the money of the $200 qstars, another cool one is the RIpxx unit, my buddy brad got these for his MX schools, really cool interface and data printouts.

http://www.ripxx.com/

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I'll check them out Tnat. Thanks.

I'd prefer a single unit rather than having to tether to a phone etc.

Honesty I was afraid the software might suck. Software often looks awesome in screenshots but turns out to be clunky crap in use.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Pringles can user

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post

Honesty I was afraid the software might suck. Software often looks awesome in screenshots but turns out to be clunky crap in use.
The problem with the phone only is the Khz rate is slow and isnt the best in accuracy where you can be off by a sec a lap as the phones are 1khz.

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
I have the Starlane and have to say, I hate the software. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet. But I'm not loving it. I've seen this unit that 5axis has. If he can use it, it can't be complicated
ha ha funny guy

As to the software yes it easy enough for me to use. The analysis page is pretty straight forward and the track playback with the distance over speed graph lets me see every little roll off or lazy transition to brakes or throttle.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AXIS View Post
ha ha funny guy

As to the software yes it easy enough for me to use. The analysis page is pretty straight forward and the track playback with the distance over speed graph lets me see every little roll off or lazy transition to brakes or throttle.
Craig mentioned I should talk to you about it on fb before anyone replied to this thread.

Maybe I'll ping you over there - I'll also check out those videos when I get off this slow ass chromebook (you'd think youtube a google product would work well on a google laptop - it doesn't)

I found one on ebay for 189
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Qstarz-BTQ10...pt=GPS_Devices
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Pringles can user

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post

Not the racechronos stuff, works great on phone and they have the pc version which you export your session to the PC. Like i said, i ve tried most of em and i keep going back to the racechrono. for simplicity, reliability and the data collection and anaylis

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Pringles can user

Are you coming up to Road america this sunday for the supermoto day, ill be there with my shit man!

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnat View Post
Not the racechronos stuff, works great on phone and they have the pc version which you export your session to the PC. Like i said, i ve tried most of em and i keep going back to the racechrono. for simplicity, reliability and the data collection and anaylis
I'll check it out. I have a couple spare iphones and a blackberry or two. I do not have any current Winmo phones (we had a q but I think my wife gave it to her brother years ago) In any case I am curious.

What I liked about this is it was self contained, it did track analysis and GPS map overlay for the video. The original reason I bought the Athon back in 2009 was to do overlay but I never got around to it. I considered a traqmate but they are so expensive and really this is just a toy for me, I am not fast.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnat View Post
Are you coming up to Road america this sunday for the supermoto day, ill be there with my shit man!
I don't think so. Sat is my anniversary and we are actually getting a sitter for the first time ever (in 5 years of marriage) so.. I'll probably be either too hung over or tired (hopefully both) to make it up and early and drive to RA.. That said, maybe.

I'll find you if I come out.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I have driven past Jennings a few times, lol. I only have my RD350 and that's at Dani's house. I had one off road excursion at BHF. Kept it up, and Sqrly has some great pics of me "exploring" the infield.

LMK when you go to Disney/Universal/Jennings and we can meet up with the families. We miss you. Not like we miss Trkyleg, but still miss ya.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
The Plumber

Here is some "off road" data. Not very accurate because the GPS receiver is ancient and has a slow sample rate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode