Kansas Speedway? New Track? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

Kansas Speedway? New Track?

Looks like Kansas Speedway might be opening up it's infield for some possible track days.

http://blog.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...nsas-speedway/

The Kansas Speedway was, until last year, strictly a NASCAR venue with two races a season for the drivers and their fans who ached and pined for that ďchase of the cup.Ē

Boring!

Authorís opinion: (Iím not saying that iím strictly a two-wheeled only racing fan (I love me some F1 and JGTC) but damn, I have never stayed awake long enough to watch a NASCAR race in its entirety. The argument I mostly hear is that I donít understand ďdrafting.Ē And by ďdonít understandĒ what they really mean is that I havenít seen it, thus I donít get the excitement and allure. I want to say that the same thing about World Superbike and MotoGP and Supercross, EnduroCross, the FIM Speedway Championship, Indoor Trials Championship and all of the other televised moto racing sports. However, I have seen NASCAR and itís drafting and bumping and Iím still not impressed.)

Because the Kansas Speedway is a NASCAR venue, Iíve never really paid much attention to the facility. Well, late last year, they broke ground and paved a road course inside of their infield which, of course, spread hot rumors about he potential of running motorcycle track days Ė if not racing Ė at the tri-oval! Shortly thereafter, our local track hero Hector St John stopped by the MotorcycleCloseouts.com offices to see if weíd be interested in sponsoring a day or two at the Speedway.

Months later and I find myself standing on track next to a Rosso red Ducati Panigale S, a Ducati 696 dripping with carbon fiber and a blue and yellow track-prepared GSXR, all of which are humming, thumping and making the most beautiful of noises. On a side note, itís been a long winter and for those of you who have experienced track days, you know what I mean when I write that Iíve long missed that sound of a high-strung engine echoing over winding strokes of asphalt.

I was at the Speedway with St John, Steve-O (owner of Renoís Yamaha & Ducati), Jim of G-Baby Racing and Dean of D2 Cycles; all accomplished track riders and with the exception of myself, all racers. The idea was to walk the track, throw some machinery around and see if we could develop a cool event out at the Speedway that would not only attract lots of riders, but more importantly, be safe.

As with any track, there are safety concerns, and St John had a lot of them, but the group overall spotted them and decided that, with a few changes, the track could be a great attraction to mid and high level riders. The big issue is the Speedway itself and itís high-speed banked corners, but that is another story for another post. In regards to developing a great event for all of mankind, I was lucky enough to be asked of my input but that only led to arguments so Iíll save that for a soon-to-follow second post.

All in all, it looks like the Kansas Speedway might actually turn out to be a very bike-friendly location and we at ĎCloseouts get to be involved as it plans develop, so stay tuned for more info!

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Crystal Ball

I watched a teaser on YouTube from HPT track days. They're gonna need a lot of air fence

www.MidwestTrackDay.com
www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday
www.speedmob.com

Please remember the Roadracing World Action Fund in the upcoming holiday season
https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 11:10 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

If its like Gateway international I will pass. Hope its not though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
If its like Gateway international I will pass. Hope its not though.
It looks worse to me. Here is a link for their "teaser" video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kzoI86bglyc

www.MidwestTrackDay.com
www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday
www.speedmob.com

Please remember the Roadracing World Action Fund in the upcoming holiday season
https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode