dunlop has gone and pissed of Michelin - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

dunlop has gone and pissed of Michelin

follow the link here!

I really hope the ducati is as good as they say it is and michelin goes all out to make a awsome tire for the tracks out here and kick dunlops ass!!!!!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 11:52 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Cool, cause as soon as I burn up my Dunlops, I'm going Michelin or Pirilli (sp). I don't like the idea of Dunlops blowing up and I don't care how fast I go around a race track. One less thing I want to worry about.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Everybody to the Limit

Sportbike: 05 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 39
How you found us: Surfing

It's a dog eat dog world out there, and Dunlop has every right to do what they did, but we don't have to support them. I've always liked the 208GPs but me thinks it's time to give Michelin a chance.

http://bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/
R.I.P. Motobeagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 12:47 PM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

They are oow called Dunpops.....

If you want to try Michelins.... Forum members get special prices from SportbikeTrackTime.com

Check the SportbikeTrackTime section of the forum.

Monte
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:54 PM
4&6

It amazes me how many people jump on and of bandwagons. Why does n't Dunlop have a right to buy up track dates for their customers? Does it affect john q public , not in the least. It affects the ducati team and valvoline. When was the last time you were invited to one of their tire or track tests? The factory teams that ran those days don't seem to have a problem with it why should the average racer?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally posted by 4&6
It amazes me how many people jump on and of bandwagons. Why does n't Dunlop have a right to buy up track dates for their customers? Does it affect john q public , not in the least. It affects the ducati team and valvoline. When was the last time you were invited to one of their tire or track tests? The factory teams that ran those days don't seem to have a problem with it why should the average racer?

Ditto.D

BTW 4&6, do you guys have or know who might have, case covers for a YZF750 (93-98)?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 05:04 PM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

Quote:
Originally posted by 4&6
I don't think anyone here is jumping on a bandwagon. I think people are just voicing opinions about another move that Dunpop has made which is not, in the opinion of many, not in the best interest of the sport.

Of course if I was a race tire manufacturer and my tires were failing like theirs are, I wouldn't was witnesss from other tire companies and teh press their either. So I can't blame them in this regard really.

Monte
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by 4&6
Dunlop has all the right in the world to do what they want. And your right it doesnt affect us,actually if they put it to good use it will benefit us(with trickle down effect?). All Im trying to get across is That hopefully the Michelin gods take this as a serious challenge and build a tire as good if not better for the american tracks. Only see this as a benifit to us. When did a tire other then dunlop win a champioship here in America? wouldnt it be great if another tire manufacturer wins other than dunlop? wouldnt that benifit more racers with sponsorship dollars? and wouldnt it trickle down to the average racer at some point? I say good Dunlop, Piss off Michelin and bring on some competition. A point to ponder is the one tire spec WSCrap series, is this what you would like to see in the AMA? how many people, teams would that kill off? Ofcourse that is pretty much what has been goin on here in the states for years because there was no serious threat to Dunlops control. And now there is and they are scared! So couldnt the factory michelin support actually help the sport on pro and amatuer level here in america? remember what wins on sunday sells on Monday

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:45 PM

This is where I am going to vote with my wallet in tires.
Go Eric Bostrom

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:13 AM

I think Dunlop has every right in the world to go around and buy up racetrack testing dates - I just think it is a conflict of interested when the AMA does it and not Dunlop, and if you have two hats and act like this, it's time to loose one:

Copyright 2004, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

AMA Director And Dunlop Vice President Buckley Personally Arranged Buyout Of AMA Co-op Team Tests To Stifle Competition

AMA and AMA Pro Racing Director Mike Buckley, Vice President of Dunlop Tire Co., personally made the phone calls arranging Dunlop's buyout of co-op AMA team test dates for the purpose of banning teams using competing tire brands from the tests.

"It came from above Jim Allen," said a member of an AMA team sponsored by Dunlop, speaking on the condition that he would not be identified for fear of retribution by Dunlop. "Buckley called. We felt bad about it because we had already told Vic (Fasola, of Ducati Austin) that it would be no problem for them to test with us (on specific dates)."
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Yeah i read that too, someone is running scared and they should be. think about it how much money does dunlop stand to loose if michenlin-pirelli start winning??? LOTS!!!!!!!!!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:52 AM

Just think NESBA has a RA date in April. It would be fun to watch the Boz man run around there then.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:44 AM

I think its pretty sad that the AMA can't do a better job of being a non biased sacntioning body. The AMA allowed and helped organize it so I say more power to Dunlop, and Poo Poo on the AMA. It's there job to breed competition, but there are too many mixed intrests in the AMA, there not non biased.

Peraonlly I've never cared much for dunlop, and this just fuels the fire. Sounds like they are a bunch of pussy's running scared, afraid too lose business, and going the wrong way to keep it. If they wanna keep the business, make good tires, and be responsive, not fat and lazy.

It also pisses me off for E-boz, does anyone know if there are AMA rules against teams practicing at non AMA organized test's? Is it possible that Michellen and the ousted teams could set up there own test's if track schduling is avalable?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick 600 F3

It also pisses me off for E-boz, does anyone know if there are AMA rules against teams practicing at non AMA organized test's? Is it possible that Michellen and the ousted teams could set up there own test's if track schduling is avalable?

they already have days set up for there own testing, they are not in any trouble, they just wont get to test at a couple of the tracks ie: laguna.

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
they already have days set up for there own testing, they are not in any trouble, they just wont get to test at a couple of the tracks ie: laguna.
If this really is the case Jim, I mean if it really has very little effect on those teams running tires other then dunlops, then what the hell was the point? Why put all that money towards it, when it could go to RandD?

I don't expect anyone to have the answer, its rehtorical, I guess.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
If this really is the case Jim, I mean if it really has very little effect on those teams running tires other then dunlops, then what the hell was the point? Why put all that money towards it, when it could go to RandD?

I don't expect anyone to have the answer, its rehtorical, I guess.
Let me explain a little here, they did not have there own dates when dunlop accnounce there coup for all the test dates. they went after the affect and got there own, and invited everyone i do believe,correct me if im wrong

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
Let me explain a little here, they did not have there own dates when dunlop accnounce there coup for all the test dates. they went after the affect and got there own, and invited everyone i do believe,correct me if im wrong
I don't know, I was askin you
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
I don't know, I was askin you

Explain further
simplified

did not have there own dates prior to dunlops announcment

michelin then went and got there own dates

and I do believe opened it to everyone?? (not sure about this part?)

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

I read the same thing Jim. Michelin will open their testing dates to all who care to come out........except maybe Dunlop

the uncarved stone
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Everybody to the Limit

Sportbike: 05 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 39
How you found us: Surfing

Cool! I'm getting some track time!!

http://bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/
R.I.P. Motobeagle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode