First time down... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

First time down...

Oh well it was inevitable...after almost 11 years of riding I lowsided yesterday ay BHF in turn 6a (right hander before driveway entrance) I am fine, got right up and picked the bike up....F4i started right up ...and went drove her into the pits. Despite a few small scratches, bent rearset, slightly dented can and s-pipe, bent right handlebar, and a ton of dust crap everywhere, she is still in good shape.

I'm not pointing fingers at any poor riders, because I was riding at my bike's limits on that turn...all I will say that is I could have very easily stuffed the prick on the bigger faster bike that was slow as hell in the turns into the fence.

Here's what happened...
I walked passed him on the outside of 5? (long left hander) When he came out of 5 he sped up and blocked my entry point on the outside for 6. I stayed on my inside line to avoid stuffing him and went in way too fast to not be on the outside. I leaned it over and got off my bike as far as I could and just. I remember my knee slider grinding on the very far right side where I've never touched down...just when I thought I made it through I felt the front end squirm a little then the rear; then the whole bike just slid out....I rode it for a little through the gravel crap and then pushed it away...did a summersault or two..patted the ground to make sure I stopped...and stood up with two thumbs in the air.

Overall I'm glad I got through the crash alright; it was exciting; I remember it all very vividly and it really wasn't that bad. The bike can and will be easily fixed. I'm more pissed off I'm not riding today.

Lastly...I did turn a couple 1:29s though with consistent low 1:30s throughout the day.

I'll be back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Passing in corners is allowed in the I group? I thought that was only the A group? I'm a little confused because there were guys in the B group where I was riding passing in the short back straight when they told us only the front straight. Just trying to figure out what the NESBA rules are and how closely people follow them.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 03:47 PM
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
My first time off yesterday and I am glad I've gotten that over with.

John- That sucks it had to happen that way. I know how you feel about not being able to ride. I can't do the free Grattan day because of my mishap. Also, you faired way better than I did in regards to damage.

Dave- I know I was passing in any straight spot in the beginner, but only with a control rider telling everyone I was coming through. When he had me go in front so he could watch my lines and I came up on traffic, I would let him lead me through them and then I would get in front again. I did notice the last track day I did with NESBA that towards the end of the day, people started passing in places they shouldn't.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 04:40 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

yeah that sure sucks (crashing) but thats part of the whole race track thing....its not always going to be cookies and cream nor is everyone going to be so predictabile.

atleast you guys are ok.

i got 2 crashs under my belt...1 almost 9 years ago in the rain , lowsided...from being a squid.

and the most recent R.A. toasted break fluid (front breaks went out)

shit happens

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
Dave- I know I was passing in any straight spot in the beginner, but only with a control rider telling everyone I was coming through. When he had me go in front so he could watch my lines and I came up on traffic, I would let him lead me through them and then I would get in front again. I did notice the last track day I did with NESBA that towards the end of the day, people started passing in places they shouldn't.

Doc
I know about that, I had a control rider tell me to pass people in other places too, but the Ducati rider I'm speaking of wasn't passing with a control rider there wasn't a control rider in sight. If a control rider would've passed then I would've expected someone else coming around me. It just really bothered me because of the fact that I didn't pass the rider for safety reason, but did adjust my line to prepare to pass then had to change it again because this guy did pass. Basically there were people in the group I stayed with that were just doing what seemed to be dangerous moves, around other riders who were obviously having difficulty. If they weren't I don't think we would have been lapping them in the beginner group. Just a question.

I think your situation is a little different and from what I saw you had a control rider watching and working with you most of the time.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately passing in the corners happens alot...you are not supposed to in both Beg and Inter. There just aren't enough control riders to cover everyone. As long as the pass is a safe clean one I don't mind. If someone passes me on the inside of a turn I always let them go...I don't speed up so they have to turn even sharper.

I was setting up my pass while on the extreme outside of the long left hander where the idiot was hugging the inside. I actually passed him when it straightened out before the right hander. As soon as it straightened out and he saw me coming up on his right, gassed it and wouldn't let me in.

No big deal...I just know to stay away from him nextime. I heard a few people bitching about this guy.

Anyway...I took all my plastic off and cleaned all the sand/dirt out. I found scratches on my left? case cover and left fairing stay. I think when I let go of the bike the front end caught and it flipped over. Not sure what happened to get that damage The top of my brake reservoir is scratched a little as well as the both spots where my mirrors would normally be

I think my right handlebar is bent down, but I can't really tell.

Thats it for now....
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 07:15 PM
YO MAMA

almost sounds like the bike flipped? like side to side flip?

good thing you and doc are ok, plastic and metal is nothing more then a costly fix..unlike the human body...costly yes...replaceable...(not yet)

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Now that I think about it I think when I picked it up it was on the left side. It probably skidded off the track on the right into the grass caught something and then slid a little on the left. The left frame slider and entire left fairing doesn't have a scratch on it. My windshield was all scratched up though
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

well add jeff to the crash fest weekend, he went into turn one to hot and the front end washed. bike faired extremely well and so did jeff.

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:33 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
probably wont help much, but I finally got a few shots of you grinding.

You looked really good out there!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 08:40 AM

Kruz... i feel for you. I'v been ion that situation too. You have brake really late to pull it off and trail them as you tip in.

I the guy rips past you on the putside when you are clearly are carrying moer corner speed, then he should be letting you past. Track days aren;t about HP on the straights they are about corner speed, good lines, and brakng technique.

I was turning high 20's while only doing 120 on the straights following some control riders.

The simple fact is. If you have a wheel on him before you start braking, he needs ot yeild and let you by. It's not stuffing if yopu show him a wheel before you start braking. I also always give a lot of room and plan on using a inside line.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I like that picture alot Jack!!! I was feeling really smooth and confident as soon as the track dried up. I wasn't even trying to drag a knee. I thought the new rearsets wouldn't let me get down low enough. BTW...anyone want a slightly used right side rearset?

Matt Drucker was following me around for a few sessions and he commented how good I was looking out there.

Jim....any luck getting off the bike on Sunday?

Jeff...that really sucks...join the club. Glad you are OK.

Kim...I didn't know you went down there too? Not this weekend right?

So when's the next trackday?

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

What kills me was I did not touch the breaks...I had my entry speed set, I was just too inside and a little too hot. Oh well...live and learn.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 10:40 AM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz
What kills me was I did not touch the breaks...I had my entry speed set, I was just too inside and a little too hot. Oh well...live and learn.
Turn 6 is VERY bumpy!
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 10:50 AM
YO MAMA

the whole track is crappy...lmao

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I do remember bumps on the middle to inside....that could have been part of the problem.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I do remember bumps on the middle to inside....that could have been part of the problem.
How is your suspension set-up? Yesterday I went through and reset my sag (40mm front, 30mm rear) and went with stock dampening settings wiht an extra 1/4 turn on rear rebound. I'm about 200lbs wiht gear. My preload is now on the 3rd line fron the top in the front and 3 in the rear. I was at 2 from the top in the front and 6 in the rear. If the preload is too hihg the tire will loose contact with the pavement which is worse than bottoming out. Might be what happened to you.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker

How is your suspension set-up? Yesterday I went through and reset my sag (40mm front, 30mm rear)
You set your sag uneven on purpose??? Why?
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I can't rememer exactly...Drucker set it for me before Road America.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vtr996

You set your sag uneven on purpose??? Why?
I was talking wiht someone that showed me an article that the F4i (and 929 I think) uses a progressive rate spring and that you need to run more sag in the front than the normal 30mm. As much as 50mm. I split the difference.

I think it worked. I never had the front end step out all day. I had some 2 wheel drifts in the carousel. It looked like I was using more of the front tire too.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:21 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

Now Kruz, when I told you the frame sliders were good I didn't expect you to test them this soon.

Seriously,

glad your ok.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey Pete...
I need a new right side slider and bolt. The bolt is bent and you saw the slider. I also have a project for you for my fender elimimator kit. Can you weld aluminum?
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Pete...what I don't quite understand is how my left case cover got scraped up yet my left slider was untouched. I may need a longer slider
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Quote:
Hey Pete...
I need a new right side slider and bolt. The bolt is bent and you saw the slider. I also have a project for you for my fender elimimator kit. Can you weld aluminum?
Welding Alum yes to certain extents. Would have to see what your looking for.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Quote:
Pete...what I don't quite understand is how my left case cover got scraped up yet my left slider was untouched. I may need a longer slider
Longer is no problem. But I only saw the damages on the RH side. Didn't know about the LH. But Longer may not work either. If you have a yard stick, play around with seing what would hit in the event of a slide. Call me if you dont understand what I'm talking about. 847-949-2800 ext 3625
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I didn't see the case cover damage either...really weird how that and the left mirror spot were scratched I wonder if it I was already in the grass with the top half of the bike.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Basically I need a 5"x3" plate with two 45 degree brackets welded on for my license plate. On the flipside I need two spacer plates on the ends. I took my homemade version off...I'll show you what I need.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 03:28 PM
Doc

Kruz, if it flipped on the other side it could have went over the nose. The case cover is strange? It didn't wear through did it? I've heard how thin they are and I never realized until now. I would see if someone could weld some aluminum on top of the scrapes to reinforce it (if it didn't go through).

I am going to have a buddy weld mine so I will have an extra in case I go down and shave it again. It looks like I might have her back together by Friday. It all depends on when the rearset comes in and if MD gets the exhaust to me by then.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

The case cover is still intact...just scratched the gold finish off.
I asking about welding for homemade fender elim...I rigged something up earlier and since I stripped the bike down, I figur eI may as well rig it up right.

WHat's Drucker charging for the full Hindle? I may go that route. Not sure if I can live with the ding in the can.

What rearsets you getting....plain old stock Yami? What are those running...I have some stock F4is if you are interested

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Doc

The oval aluminum can is $215 and the high mid pipe is $75. That doesn't include the headers.

I am getting stock rearsets since they are high enough already...and cheap. I mounted the vortex clipons under the triple clamp and now the stance is even more aggressive. It will take some getting use to.

You should come to the Grattan day on Monday the 22nd (if you can get off of work). It's only $100. Let me know.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode