OOPS, I did it again - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

OOPS, I did it again

Well, I lost my track virginity and unfortunately my track crashing virginity. Nothing serious, I just got a false neutral going into turn 5 (at BHF by the way) and I guess lack of experience made me stand the bike up a little. I ran off in the grass and tried to keep it upright but I ran out of room and the tire wall was getting real big so I ended up losing the front. Just scratched up the plastic, nothing broke. I picked up the bike and pushed it behind the wall and a yellow never even had to be thrown. I'm not sure anyone even knew because I couldn't see a cornerworker from there. But even after all that I had a blast and learned a LOT. If I could have cleaned up the bike and got re-teched I would have gone back out for the final session but a shower and AC seemed like a good idea.

Nice to meet a bunch of CLSB people up there.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 11:18 PM

Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to maks
First of all, it was nice to see you out there, too, bluebusa. Secondly, DAMN, a lot of people went off the track and/or crashed this past weekend, but I guess that's to be expected at the track, eh? Glad yours wasn't bad.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 11:26 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Quote:
Originally posted by maks
First of all, it was nice to see you out there, too, bluebusa. Secondly, DAMN, a lot of people went off the track and/or crashed this past weekend, but I guess that's to be expected at the track, eh? Glad yours wasn't bad.
Sorry to hear of your off. But no, I don't think crashing should be expected when you go to a track day. If it is, we're doing something drastically wrong. Accidents happen, but crashing shouldn't be expected. I know one of the last BHF NESBA days there wasn't one bike that touched down--that's how it should be.

Sorry to twist your words Max, probably not what you meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 11:37 PM

Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to maks
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
Sorry to twist your words Max, probably not what you meant.
Not quiiiiite, Jack, but it's all good. I didn't mean everyone should expect to crash, just that run-offs and an occasional crash (uh, weren't there like 4?) shouldn't be viewed as uncommon at a track day. Did that still sound bad?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 11:54 PM
M109R

Sportbike: 07 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: ??

glad your ok

How do you turn this thing on?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 08:17 AM

It happens to the best eventually. I had to make some nice saves to stay on the track yesterday myself. I was out to he edge on turn 4 several times.

I also figured out that without GP shifting (reversed pattern) shifting for turn 5 was not a good idea (toe dragging o nthe pavement is bad) I just pegged the rev limiter in 2nd instead and either held it there or grabbed 3rd for just a split second.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Like Jack said I did several things drastically wrong. It takes this sort of environment to point out your deficiencies.

Cherrypicker,I figured a GSXR1K had enough torque to pull third through that turn and not have to hit the rev limiter. And I don't think my yellow ass leans far enough to drag anything.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

sorry to hear about your off road experience, but it was good to meet you Sat Night.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
Like Jack said I did several things drastically wrong. It takes this sort of environment to point out your deficiencies.

Cherrypicker,I figured a GSXR1K had enough torque to pull third through that turn and not have to hit the rev limiter. And I don't think my yellow ass leans far enough to drag anything.
I just saw you hit a false neutral going into 5. You should have enough overrev to possibly even leave it in 2nd from turn 3 all the way until you're exiting 6 and have the bike upright.

You also could not shift altogether and leave it in 3rd all the way around. I only use 2,3,4 on my 600.

A good tiem ot mess around with new things like this is during the last couple sessions. I foudn it better to slow down the pace and work on 1 or 2 things specifically. I usually make my fast laps in the 3rd and 4th session. After that I'm too tired mentally and physically to keep pushing at that level.

Anyway... live and learn

I know I sure as hell have a lot of area for imporvement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode