women at track days? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

women at track days?

I've asked my wife if she would be interested in attending track days with me. She says she wouldn't be confortable riding with the guys but is considering the LC all women school or Femmoto. She has played softball and stuff on co-ed teams and hated the "you're good for a chick" comments. I don't think she can be any worse than I was at my first track day.

I'm looking for your thoughts. Should I just plan on her being hooked after the women's school in July or talk her into doing a track day with Nesba or CLSB.

Another problem is I have a Gix1K. Great training wheels, huh. I dropped it my first time at the track.

Also to consider is gear. I'll be sure she has good helmet, gloves, boots, but I'm wondering about spending the money on leathers. She is in the process of losing weight and will ...what's the opposite of outgrow, ingrow? ...they won't fit next year. Should I buy an inexpensive 1-piece, inexpensive 2-piece, or rent from Kneedraggers.com. If I purchase leathers I will have to resell them that's why I question 1 or 2-piece.

Give me your thoughts and no "ditch the bitch" jokes. I would enjoy having her share my enthusiasm for track days.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:16 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Very cool man. You're a lucky guy. My suggestion would be to get her involved with one of the women-only STT trackdays (or the LC class). If memory serves, she may be able to rent leathers (maybe even a bike if it's a school) and see what she thinks.

...that or just put her in a room with Kim for 5 minutes.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
For women, STT is hard to beat in terms of pricing, plus leathers are available for rental. While the STT track days are co-ed (with the exception of the FemMoto event in Pahrump) they do include a 20-minute "ladies-only" session after lunch each day.

I'd be willing to bet that after one good experience she'll be hooked.

I'm hesitant to say "buy cheap leathers". Not to be indelicate, but are we talking 3 or 4 sizes difference, or just one or two? While it's important that leathers fit properly, the expansion panels in a good-quality suit will accomodate a certain amount of fluctuation while still providing proper fit.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
check out www.newenough.com You can buy used leathers and you can trade yours in as well. Not sure what you might lose though. And leathers are popular on E-bay.

If you want her hooked, get her on the track. Like Kim said, one she goes she'll want to go with you regardless. So maybe the first event is a women only event, she can get comfortable and build her confidence. And I bet she'll be ready to take on the boys. I see a lot of women out there, and they aren't slouches!

Does she ride now? Your GXR1K? If she's comfortable with your 1k then fine, otherwise get her something she is comfortable on.

It would be a great benefit to share a passion such as this with your siginificant other.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 08:42 AM

I have to agree with KB and STT is an outstanding group of people. But you ride NESBA and they have "intro" class where it is free for the first two sessions. They keep the pace in those two sessions well under control and the gear requirements aren't as strict. (Although I believe you should have full gear regardless.) Anyways give up the bike for a Saturday for your lady and be her support. I think Carol is a female rider with Nesba and Kim is instructing for STT. Have her talk to them and assess her progessing abilities. Good feedback and encouragement makes a great first time run. Once she's hooked she will need her own bike!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode