track bike thoughts? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

track bike thoughts?

I'm once again considering a track bike (good rumors about a bonus) so I've questions.

1)What would you recommend? Stick with 600SS bikes or similarly powered. I know the advantages of an SV650 but I want the familiarity of a sportbike (if that makes sense)

2) I'm considering the R6. I ride a GSXR but my wife (who will be riding it also) has a hard time reaching around the gas tank on my Gixxer (boobs must be bigger than arms ) If I do go with the R6 is there a certain year they made big improvements or certain years to avoid?

3)Should I completely track prep it (bodywork, no lights,etc.) or should I keep it streetable and just track prep with tape and pulling fuses like I do on my bike?
NOTE my wife claims she doesn't want to ride on the street but I'm betting she change her mind with a bike in the garage. She's decided to get 2-piece instead of 1-piece leathers so I think she's already considering it.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:28 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Stick with a 600SS if you know and like the way the powerband is. R6's are common and previous generation ones are really starting to go down in price.

Whether to fully track prep or not is a tough decision. I was seriously considering it, may do it, but right now I'm looking at not doing that to the SV. I don't use it on the track more than a couple times a month and I like to ride it on the street. My advice is to find a decent streetable R6 and get a set of sharkskinz for it. How difficult is it to remove the fairings and put sharkskinz on? Anyone? Never done that before.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

My concern with race bodywork is the lack of lighting, etc. If my wife decided to ride on the street it would probably be a spur of the moment thing and I wouldn't be able to switch back and forth quickly.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:05 PM

buy one with a salvage title... that just has minly body, firling and subframe damage... you're goingot crash it eventually anyway. Leave it uninsured and unregistered and for track use only. But race plastics, better brakes pads, SS lines, clip-ons, rear sets, safety wire it up and you're ready to race. Figure $1000 in plastics and parts to convert a 600SS for track us. Then consider $500 for revavling the front fork. and eventually $800 for a rear shock.

You should be able to find a salvage title R6 with under 10k miles for $3000. THis is what I would do if I ever wanted a trakc bike. For now if I do any track days, I'll just od NESBA and tape up my street bike and only ride it up to 90% of my limits for that extra margin of error... but fast enouhg for some real fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode