Anyone Have some onboard video of Grattan ? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Anyone Have some onboard video of Grattan ?

Thinking about going to the rider school in a few weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 08:23 AM

I'll PM you a site - I don't want to flood the poor guy's server... also an ex-factory racer (and former 929 owner) wrote this:

A 929 lap around Grattan

Turn 1: End of front straight slightly uphill entrance right-hander, positive camber high speed with expanding radius exit. Based on your gearing, count on at least 3, but usually 4 downshifts while entering this corner. It's over 70 feet wide to accommodate racing start track density, slightly uphill exit.

Turn 2: Blind apex (over a gentle rise) right hander, medium speed (top of second gear) positive camber inside, rolling to negative camber outside, short chute to turn 3.

Turn 3: (The "Off Camber") Downhill blind entrance/apex with 20 degree off camber (middle to outside of track, 5 degree off camber inside) second gear left turn. Get to the outside and explore the grass . . .

Turn 4: Short blast, 11K in second held steady to a positive camber flowing right hander with WFO exit, catch third gear heading downhill and just "tap" the front brake before the "hump" which crests some 150 feet before the sweeping right hand turn 5. Some people catch a downshift before the hump, but since the suspension totally unloads at the crest, it's very easy to lock up the rear wheel. You need to downshift prior to the apex of turn 5, or your drive through the next 3 turns is hard to maintain.

Turn 5: Beginning of the "Esses", flat wide 70 degree right hander, second gear entrance (see above), stay to the inside to setup for turn 6 (the middle off the "S") and flop it over for the quick left hander which magically appears much earlier than expected.

Turn 6: Quick, flat left hand flip flop, neutral throttle, still in second with a very short straight exit blast (straight if you nail the entrance, otherwise someone will sneak up the inside and you have to back out of it and turn in left a bit to catch the short uphill right handed turn 7.

Turn 7: Tight right hand uphill entrance. You need to stay tight on the inside, as the suspension unloads right before the apex as you crest the short hill, and the surface goes off camber from the middle of the track to the outside. Get your head down and gas it (still in second) for a “high” entrance into the infamous “Grattan Bowl”.

Turn 8: (“The Bowl”) 30 degree positive banked 120 degree left hander with downhill entrance. You can carry a lot of entrance speed into this corner due to the steep banking, but if you stay on the gas you can understeer to the outside on the exit where the track narrows as it continues to point left, leaving you either in the grass, or behind everyone you were just in front of. Since the suspension is totally compressed throughout this corner, if you have a ground clearance problem, you’ll end up dragging everything through the apex.

Although not usually referred to as a corner per se, the next section is known as “The Sweeper”, and is the second highest speed section on the track. As you exit the bowl and bear left over a quick rise, a short shift to third is advisable. The sweeper can be broken down into 3 straights with 2 apexes. Once you crest the rise, the track starts to bend right. If you take a wide entrance over the rise (which requires a reasonably tight exit from the bowl) you head toward the outside (left side) of the track and make a late turn in past the “apparent” apex. This sets you up for a drive to the inside where the track is continuing it’s bend to the right. The track get’s very bumpy on the far inside of the second apex, and about 8 feet out from the inside is a pavement overlap, so the smoothest line lies approximately 4 feet from the inside through this fast (top of third gear) apex. The reason for the earlier short shift is to avoid hitting the rev limiter as you approach this apex and to have a bit of rpm left to drive toward another upshift when you stand the bike back up heading toward the turn 9 hairpin. If you end up on the outside of the track at the second apex, there is a large dip which if taken at speed (fast guys are well over 120 through here), gets the front wheel airborne all the way into the hairpin (ask for a demonstration).

Turn 9: One of the most intimidating turns at Grattan, it is the slowest part of the track and follows the second fastest portion in quick order. When driving to the hairpin, the corner comes up very quickly and goes hard right and downhill. This is the brake test area, and usually requires 2 downshifts on the big bikes. The inside of the corner begins at the same level as the sweeper, but quickly bottoms and begins to flatten out, while the outside is lower and actually begins to go uphill. The fast guys look like they are going to drive into the woods on the entrance to this corner, as they take the widest possible entrance and turn completely past the apex. The advantage to this technique is to get a straight shot up the hill, as the track cuts back in from the left at the exit, so a tight entrance forces you to the outside, where you have to turn in (and back it off) or run in the grass. The run up the hill is a real drag race most of the time, and the bike on the right usually wins.

Turn 10A: A blind apex high speed right hander with a dip in the middle of the exit, all at the crest of a 100+ mph uphill. A wide entrance (preferred by many) can set you up for the inside line for the drive onto the front straight, but it also leaves you open for someone carrying a bit more speed to surprise you as you turn it in, as the track is pretty wide through this section. Be ready to make a high speed flip-flop after the right hander, as 10B comes up fast and this turn usually determines who wins the race down the front straight.

Turn 10B: One of the best reasons to walk the track, this turn is a sweeping left hander preceded by a short chute that is completely used up just flipping the bike from right to left. If you take this turn on the inside (popular choice), you may not get the “monster drive” required to make the run down the straight. Due to ground heave from seasonal temperature variations, there is a bump which lies somewhere on the exit of this corner. The bump runs in the direction of travel, bearing right to left across the track, and will move (yep, I mean move) from one weekend to the next. So the line that worked best last week will get you out of the seat today. You are totally cranked over and accelerating in third gear as you cross this bump, so it is extremely important that you know exactly where it is, as many people have highsided themselves right out of the race because of brain fade in this corner.

If you enter the straight at 8.5K or so in third gear, you will catch fourth close to the outside edge of the track just before the row of garages in the upper paddock, fifth somewhere just past the start finish line and sixth midway between the start finish line and the entrance to turn 1. I recommend driving to the outside, but stay at least 12 to 15 feet from the far left side, as it gets bumpy out there and 12 to 15 feet from the left is optimal for the entrance to turn 1 (although there are several successful lines through this wide high speed turn).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
Go to Grattan...you won't regret it. It's by far my favorite track next to Beaver Run in PA. I went to the free race school last year and it is a lot of fun. The best part for me was the session on safety wiring put on by Tracy

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:21 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I was looking for the same thing last year and someone pointed me to a site that had it. I believe it was the CLASS site with a lap with Reg on the VFR. (kinda cool watching him dogging a gix1k on an old sporttouring bike )

BTW in 10a look for the torn up pavement where the cars are digging in. Just hit it and turn it. You still won't be able to see the apex but it'll be there.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons

Last edited by bluebusa60544; 03-15-2004 at 10:28 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Resident Slow guy

I'll have to give em a call and see if I can snooze in the truck over there the night before.

Isn't it like 4 1/2 hours from here.. I think you loose an hour headed that way as well.

They got electricity ?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Last I recall... Grattan does have camping.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Old School

Sportbike: 85 V65 Sabre
Years Riding: 27 years of street and dirt before that
How you found us: from roach

Send a message via AIM to WITMAN
go to grattan

Go to Grattan- forget the lap on board- though class site is great and reg passed that gixxer- count on it.
the track is really fun and only 4 hrs from wilmette.
they will let you camp at the front entrance way to the track plenty of room for a tent or snooze in the truck.
I have been to Road america, mid ohio, blackhawk, brainard and grattan. It is bar far the most FUN lots of turns and the off camber turn 3 is a blast the first time thru.
Go For It
whit
ps trackaholics.com has a very detailed map of grattan with photos of each turn. worth a look.

<............... Whitney

TWO WHEELS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EXPERIENCE HEAVEN ON EARTH

Last edited by WITMAN; 03-15-2004 at 11:39 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohfugit
I'll have to give em a call and see if I can snooze in the truck over there the night before.

Isn't it like 4 1/2 hours from here.. I think you loose an hour headed that way as well.

They got electricity ?
They have Camping and electricity I believe is only available in the garage spaces( pricier ). They have no hot water in the shower, it's brutal. At least that's how is was 4 years ago.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

It was rather cool in there last summer too. I'd hate to shower there in the spring.
Remember Seinfeld and shrinkage?

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:00 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally posted by Blade Runner
Like a frightened turtle.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Chills
George: "See when things get wet, they shrink."
Jerry: "Tell us more, Mr. Wizard!"

Chris
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Chills
Giddyup

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally posted by Blade Runner
It was rather cool in there last summer too. I'd hate to shower there in the spring.
Yeah, I camped there in April one year. I woke up with frost on the tent.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode