BHF Saturday May 8th......(Someone got wood) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Talking BHF Saturday May 8th......(Someone got wood)

MOring practice sucked. Bike was getting water in the airbox somehow (my guess) since it was hesitating from 3-4K under load. Wet track made it miserable. Pulling off a WHOPPING 2:12 in teh rain.

CLeared up and had a dry track after lunch. Took teh new camera out and about to take pics. Borrowed a quad to go putz around (first time riding once in 21 years )

Start of Thunderbike. Was gridded in 6B (which would had been right next to the AM T-bike pole position. Well that guy had an emergency at home and had to leave. SO on teh warmup lap, one of teh experts came up to me and started pointing at my bike. Pulled off in 3, couldnt find anything and the cornerworker said it probably was water coming out of the belly pan that was left over. Bike ran fine now. SO I hurried back around the track and had to start from the back. Got started and ended up screwing the launch. Caught up to Mark Bernard (#391 on a Buell) and took 2-3 laps to pass him. Finished in 5th.D GOt a nic piece of faux wood to hang on a wall.D

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 09:06 PM

Sportbike: R6, FE570, TZ250, CFR450
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to racingxtc7 Send a message via Yahoo to racingxtc7
what do you ride?

Jeff

CCS/USGPRU#976
<----Jeff
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

It's a YSR right Rob?

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally posted by v2neal
It's a YSR right Rob?

Hey NEal...

CBR600F2 xtc7

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 08:05 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
That's not bad. It was tough riding on the wet track even for the learning curves school. But after lunch it did dry up and had more fun.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 09:53 PM
G2G

Not a bad weekend got 3rd, 5th, 6th ninth and 11th I think. All on pirelli diablos with 6 trackdays on them. I was sliding all over. No body had tires for an SV this weekend. Not bad for taking a 2 year layoff. Got to meet alot of members off the board.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:42 AM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Looked good out there Steve! I got some killer shots of you yesterday! I'm trying to get them up this morning, but probably tonight.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Good2Go
Not a bad weekend got 3rd, 5th, 6th ninth and 11th I think. All on pirelli diablos with 6 trackdays on them. I was sliding all over. No body had tires for an SV this weekend. Not bad for taking a 2 year layoff. Got to meet alot of members off the board.
Yep, thanks for the clutch lever really appreciate it and it was nice to meet you.

Oh yeah, and I was pissed about the opening in the air box being too big but can't complain too much. Even with being DQ'd from 2nd in that race I still got a 5th, 4th, and a 3rd.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 07:43 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally posted by lovebothkats
Yep, thanks for the clutch lever really appreciate it and it was nice to meet you.

Oh yeah, and I was pissed about the opening in the air box being too big but can't complain too much. Even with being DQ'd from 2nd in that race I still got a 5th, 4th, and a 3rd.
Dave is CLSB's official Sandbagger!

Remember Dave, the race isn't over until the checkered flag!

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Quote:

Clutch lever what did you do? Congrats on the placements people

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Wannabe racer

Sandbagger my ass, we'll see at the next round there were some of the Usual Suspects missing from the grid on Sunday. Once they are back I'm going to have to keep getting my lap times down to try and keep up. Did you notice how much of a gap there was between me and the riders that were in front of me? My best that I saw on the lap times was a 1:23.020 so yeah I've still got a ways to go before I come close to winning a race.

As far as what did I do, Saturdays practice session was really wet. So I got rains, of course they were brand new so they still had that nice film on them. First lap of practice 4th corner I tipped the bike in, and the front end just tucked instantly. Simple lowside got up frame sliders did their job but I don't have bar ends, and had already bent that rearset back before so leave it to say I needed a rearset and a clutch lever. Which Good2Go was nice enough to lend me.

Of course then he needed a shift lever, which he told me to leave in his belly pan overnight and I did. Talked to him later on and he told me that he didn't end up using it and actually ran the first two practice sessions with it in his belly pan. :lol Sorry had to share that one.

Oh yeah and Grover, trust me I learned my lesson after the SuperTwins race. Really though I would've had to have kept a huge gap to not allow an RC51 past me right at the end. Can be done next time though. I just won't slow down that last lap. The supersport race, trust me I didn't let up and I had a huge gap on 3rd place. But I never looked back and I wasn't about to sacrafice 2nd, of course in the end I did anyway. But at least not because of my riding.

Last edited by lovebothkats; 05-10-2004 at 08:51 AM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:01 AM
G2G

Jack sorry I missed ya. My friends said you stopped by my pits but I wasn't there. Cheezer from rogue was pitted next to me with his RC. I was pretty rusty and I was a little pissed at the Pirelli guy he had no race DOT's for an SV. So after practice on Sunday my laptimes where going up a second every race I was sliding all over the place. I belive in practice I clicked off a couple of 1:19's and for sure would have dropped more time in the races. Brian from LCR was working with me a little in practice and showed me a couple of weak spots that I need to work on. I can't wait to see the pics. The one guy in my pit was at the Gingerman trackday and said Sorenson was out there on a 1000. Sweet!!!!

Lovebothcats it was suppose to be a secret about the lever in the belly pan. It will drop your laptimes a least a second.

Last edited by G2G; 05-10-2004 at 02:53 PM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Good2Go
Lovebothcats it was suppose to be a secret about the lever in the belly pan. It will drop your laptimes a least a second.
It's just a good thing you got it out of there because that could disqualify you from a supersport race. You know the counterbalncing effect of having weight in the belly pan can easily shave 2-3 seconds off your lap times.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Hey congrats to lbk and Rob! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend.

Rob - is that your first wood?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Wannabe racer

Us? What about you man? I heard you were leading one of the races, how did you end up finishing?
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:24 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

I had an ok weekend. Can't really complain given the circumstances. I got a 3rd in LWGP after starting on the last row.
Dave.. I pre-registered today!

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally posted by TZDeSioux
I had an ok weekend. Can't really complain given the circumstances. I got a 3rd in LWGP after starting on the last row.
Dave.. I pre-registered today!
Damn you!!

I can still get past you though off the start, now I just have to keep working my lap times down. There was one practice session I could keep you in sight, but that was the closest I ever came and it wouldn't have been considered in-sight if I didn't have such good eyesight.

I'll get you Brian, and your little tz too. Ok maybe not but a man can dream.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:49 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Quote:
Damn you!!

I can still get past you though off the start, now I just have to keep working my lap times down. There was one practice session I could keep you in sight, but that was the closest I ever came and it wouldn't have been considered in-sight if I didn't have such good eyesight.

I'll get you Brian, and your little tz too. Ok maybe not but a man can dream.
It's just a matter of time Dave. You were freaking flying out there when I went by ya.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Ahhhhh... another wonderful weekend "down on the 'Farm"!

Around 11:00 on Friday morning, I must've used an Ex-Lax candy instead of an earplug... cuz all of a sudden all the crap drained right out of my head and riding actually became FUN again! Started hacking away at all those pesky extra seconds that the bike had picked up over the winter. Had a great day.

Saturday started out even better... I threw on my rains and had two awesome practice sessions. We were doing the "rain dance" but the skies cleared up well before the GTO. My DOT's had been on "simmer" all morning and it felt great going out on nice toasty buns!

Sunday's practices were combined and there was enough time to run three sessions. My times continued their gentle downward trend and I was excited about the SuperTwins race. Had Mark Bernard to chase for most of the race, until we were separated by lapping traffic. All was good.

Rain moved in early in the afternoon but it was just an isolated shower... and the track was bone-dry when we gridded for Race 12 - HWSS. I knew Robb was behind me, and my sole objective was for him to finish the race in that same position. He made it into Turn 1 ahead of me but I stayed on him... watching... waiting... like a cat playing with a mouse. I was chafing against the bit behind him through the carousel... he would pull away slightly through 4 and 5 but by 6 I was right back on his tail... figured I'd be patient... take him on the front straight but missed a downshift heading into 7! RATS! I was screaming in my helmet as I pinned the throttle and my Angry Kitten came ROARING to life... caught him but my ovaries just weren't big enough to stay in it from my position on the inside. ARRGH! Another agonizing lap followed, this time I got the drive but my um... whateverr shriveled into tiny raisins at the crucial moment.

NOW I was pissed. We were on the third freaking lap and the rest of the pack was fast disappearing. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I tucked down tight, sucked it up and swore that NO MATTER WHAT, I WAS GONNA COME OUT OF TURN ONE IN FRONT!!!!

So I did. And never looked back. I raged at the empty track in front of me, knowing that I had an enormous gap to close before catching the next rider. I was really disappointed when I saw Robb climbing over the tirewall, too. Glad you're okay!

Ptak - how is DanO's wrist???

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:02 PM

Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to maks
Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I tucked down tight, sucked it up and swore that NO MATTER WHAT, I WAS GONNA COME OUT OF TURN ONE IN FRONT!!!!
Wowie. Go baby, go! I'm kinda interest to hear Rob's story about the crash.. Rob?

P.S. Good job on the finishes, everyone.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Us? What about you man? I heard you were leading one of the races, how did you end up finishing?
I did ok. There are some pretty fast Ams this year. Casmay (#23) is flying, he had a bunch of 14.1s. Kevin (#454) stepped it up a bit, he got down to the 15.0s by the end of the weekend. Moore (#55) is fast (~16.50s) but frustrating, he does some wierd stuff in corners that makes him hard to get around. I was running pretty consistent low 16s, with a best of a 1:15.79... but those were really only good for a bunch of 4ths and 5ths. I *did* eventually wind up with a 2nd in MWSS, so that'll at least net me some decent contingency cash.

I led ~5 laps or so in that rain race (MWSB I think?) I was WAY out in front, kept looking back, didn't see anybody, so I slowed down a bit. Next thing I know, I get passed down the front straight by 3 guys. *big surprise* Must've slowed down too much! I tailed them around, but there was a dry line forming, so I backed back down and took it easy (running on brand new rains, wasn't interested in wasting $400 by chewing them up on dry pavement.) Wound up finishing 4th.

Got hosed out of my top-5 spot in ULGP thanks to the stupid rules in CCS... made a pass for 5th on the last lap, hit the checkered in 5th... but somebody crashed in the back of the pack resulting in a red flag, before EVERYONE crossed the finish line. Red flag = results go back 1 lap, so I didn't get credited for that last pass. So I took 6th instead of 5th. Oh well. Still not bad for starting in the last row... those 750s and 1000s are tough to get around when I'm on a 600.

All in all, I'm happy with my weekend. That track has put me in the hospital the last two times I've ridden it, so I'm glad to have "conquered" it Set a few other small personal victories... managed a 5th in GTU running 21 laps. I used to have a hard time making 8 laps before my armpump would get in the way. I actually managed to set by best lap time of the race on the 21st lap (1:17.9), and ran consistent across all the laps (low 1:18s), so I was happy. I rode at about 80% all weekend, still have a lot of areas I need work on, and a lot of things I want to try. I have a lot of work to do on T1 and T7 (both pretty crucial turns.) Need to get back to running WOT through T2 (still lifting slightly.) But I'll get there. I want to see some low 14s out of myself next time I'm there.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-

Last edited by OmniGLH; 05-10-2004 at 12:11 PM.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen

Ptak - how is DanO's wrist???
Broken, but it was a clean break. He has an appointment with a surgeon later today, to review it and see if he'll need surgery to reassemble it. Hopefully he won't need surgery... and hopefully he'll be healed in time to run the next Team Challenge event at Summit Point. If not we're going to be scrambling to find 2 riders, since Hall is going to a regional MW event instead (he wants a regional and national championship this year.)

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:17 PM
BEER!

Hey Jim, I stopped at turn 6 during race three. I saw you leading, then Benny Carlson (black bike) got past you and the others followed. I *think* he's on an '04 Suzuki GSXR600. Damn good finish for his first real race weekend with CCS. He was blazing fast during the Learning curves earlier this month. The weather during race three was weird, they postponed it so everybody could put on rains, but by the time everything started up again, it was almost dry. Well, it was too wet for DOTs but not wet enough for rains.

Oh, I'd like to hear Rob's take on his crash. Tonight I'll read up on the CCS forum too. From what it looks like, his bike definately faired worse. I saw a NASTY crash between 4 and 5. Guy tucked the front end, went sliding, then the bike hit the curbing and went FLYING.

Good to see everybody out there.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by Grover
Hey Jim, I stopped at turn 6 during race three. I saw you leading, then Benny Carlson (black bike) got past you and the others followed. I *think* he's on an '04 Suzuki GSXR600. Damn good finish for his first real race weekend with CCS.
Benny Carlson... #450 right? Yeah, he is fast. This weekend was only his 2nd time riding a streetbike, ever. He came over from flat-track racing... Janisch says he is stupid fast on a flat-track (even faster than Jessie.)

This weekend was his first, and only, weekend as an Am. He is getting bumped up to expert (at his request) before the next weekend.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:23 PM
BEER!

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
Benny Carlson... #450 right? Yeah, he is fast. This weekend was only his 2nd time riding a streetbike, ever. He came over from flat-track racing... Janisch says he is stupid fast on a flat-track (even faster than Jessie.)

This weekend was his first, and only, weekend as an Am. He is getting bumped up to expert (at his request) before the next weekend.
Yeah, I think he's trying to get enough expert points in CCS to go for an AMA license. (how does that work??) He finished #2 in AMA supermoto this season. He works up at the Ducati superbike place in Saukville. It conviently now has a Suzuki dealership too. Kid is really nice guy.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally posted by Grover
Oh, I'd like to hear Rob's take on his crash. Tonight I'll read up on the CCS forum too. From what it looks like, his bike definately faired worse. I saw a NASTY crash between 4 and 5. Guy tucked the front end, went sliding, then the bike hit the curbing and went FLYING.

Well simple racing incident. Rider tried to pass in the inside right as I was turning in. Hit my swingarm and upset the bike (he said he saw the rear tire LIFT), and got it settled down, but was at about a 30 deg angle to the curbing in 4th gear. Bike hit the curb and got air. Came down front first and got violent and went down. Between a lowside and highside. Landed on my arm which was against my side. Got up and tried to get my bearings. All I can remember thinking was 'tire wall safe'. Went to pick teh bike up and couldnt. Finally got it up, parked it on the tire wall and hopped over the fence. It was Jeff's (guy I got tangled with) first full weekend racing. He said he wished he would had waited until we got out of 4 to pass. He was upset about taking another bike out. I just told him it was an accident. It happens.

Well after Kim passed me before turn 1, I hung right with her in teh corners looking for a way to pass safely. Had a couple chances but IMO they were too risky. I was faster than she was from 3 to 6, but the HP of the TLR took over from 6-7 and 7 to 1.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 02:16 PM

Sorry to here Rob.

I was almost taken himself in the Learning Curves race. I RS250 tried to take my front wheel away from me on a pass in turn 4 on the inside of me. I was not expecting that at all.

The funny thing is all the people trying to get a license and yet half of the people have never been on a track before.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally posted by JRSMAIL
The funny thing is all the people trying to get a license and yet half of the people have never been on a track before.
That was prevolent when I tool LCR in 99. Back then, there were no track days around here. That was the first time I had been on the track with a motorcycle.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by YZFRob
That was prevolent when I tool LCR in 99. Back then, there were no track days around here. That was the first time I had been on the track with a motorcycle.
That was OK back then, but now days that would be unacceptable. There was a person that was dead slow I think I saw a turtle pass him on the front straight.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Hey, everybody has to start someplace. And Learning Curves is just as good a place to start as any. The licensing school was the first time I'd ever set foot on a race track as well (of course, I knew without asking that I wasn't ready to go out and race the next day, even though I did walk out with a license).

Ask any racer and they'll tell you that it's more important to be CONSISTENT than to be fast. If you're predictable and can hold a line, folks will be able to pass you without difficulty.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode