Tell me about your 1st time trackday experience - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Sold my bike
Years Riding: few years
How you found us: I dont remember

Tell me about your 1st time trackday experience

ok...
I'm really interseted in get on the track this year with NESBA.
I'm ABOUT to become a member of NESBA & get on their June 26th track day but i'm so nervious & intimidated.... I dont know what to expect... this is only my 2nd year riding and all...

How was your experience on first time track day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I was a bundle of nerves, I even puked. A good friend, who was a control rider on that day, gave me solid advice......concentrate on being smooth, not fast.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:51 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Re: Tell me about your 1st time trackday experience

Bit nervous, but the folks at NESBA can spot a new rider pretty quick and take you under their wing. By the second or third session...

Fun and addicting. Street riding suddenly became tedious. If you aren't having fun, check your speed, adjust up or down if necessary. If that doesn't work, check your pulse. Do not be afraid to slow down if you are intimidated. (scared=not relaxed=not fun). I had more fun in the last group at Gratten than I ever did in the first couple groups the day before (that org works a bit different than NESBA).

Find Carol Drucker in the pits (that's Matt's mom). She's the only one with a red superhawk. A LOT of us spent at least a day with her in the back of the pack (some took several days. )
Learn to be consistent with everything. Speed comes naturally after that. I'd suggest lining up in the back of the pack for your first session.

Read Twist of the Wrist II. Get good gear.

Where's that 'track day packing list'?

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines

Last edited by Grover; 05-12-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:55 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

I haven't been on the track myself but have shot photos at two of the CLSB track days. I was very impressed with the rapid improvement in skills of the riders. The speed and form of the beginners and even intermediate was quite visible from the start of the day to the end.

Dave
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Its all about coner speed

Sportbike: Sold '04 R6 silver
Years Riding: not that long
How you found us: yahoo

i was planning to go june 26 also, but i will just try the free session. Not sure if i will available because i normally have tons of homework. Hope they don't give me much that weekend.

hope to see ya there
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I was wound up as tight as a violin string the first time.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
I guess I'm the only one that didn't get a little scared. But I went into it as just riding around on the street. I didn't look at it as a track day. Just went at my own pace feeling everything out before I started to push things.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:43 AM

I was pretty scared. I'd just low sided the bike a few days before (on the fresh tires I'd bought for the trackday).

Crawled around the corners for the first few sessions. Somewhere around here there's a picture of a bunch of the guys going past me between turn 4 & 5 at blackhawk, with Carol pulling me off to the side and out of the way (we need a blush smiley!).

I spent most of the afternoon following Carol, staying in 2nd gear mostly (on my bike with the stock gearing, that'll top out around 100). The second session or so, I came off the track and she could tell I was a lot more comfortable 'cause the grin showed through the helmet!

So chances are you'll be doing a lot better your first day than I was on mine!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

That's the key just go and ride at your own pace. It will be fun regardless, because you don't have to worry about cars, police, gravel or any of that crap. That alone even if you ride the exact same pace as what you do on the street makes it a more relaxed and enjoyable experience.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:51 AM

i was sweating like a paedophile in a playground the first time, soon relaxed and enjoyed the day. Hooked immediately, bearing in mind I have never had a street bike.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

First track day, first session, beginners group, turn one at BHF, a rider behind me doesn't brake, runs into me hitting my right leg and clutch slider. I manage to stay upright. It took a few laps to shake that off. Other than that, I had a great time. Melted my tires from edge to edge. Camped out the night before in the paddock with the other riders, Dave took some great pics and I made some improvement in riding my sportbike.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Slowass

I did my first track day last month at Grattan...I was scared, but I did the practice lap with my friends Jeff (racingxtc7) and Nick (Grasshopper) so I felt a lot better (until they made fun of me for being too slow ). Before going out there, Jeff shouts as I'm riding off "Rachel! Just have fun!" And I did.

Being a ditzy blonde, I failed at memorizing the track, and those blind turns at Gratten provided some great "suprises". "OK, here, I go left ... (hill crests) SHIT!!! It's a RIGHT! LEAN HAAAARD!!!!"

Now the street becomes less and less appealing.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 10:55 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I did my first trackday last August. I was so nervous that I didn't sleep the night before. I had no idea what to expect. The great thing about NESBA that I found was that everyone is so friendly. I had many other riders coming over and talking to me in the pits.

I almost threw up before the first session, and during it I was stiff as a brick. Once I got off after that session I was skaking. I couldn't believe I had ridden that fast. After a few minutes I calmed down and I felt the addiction begin. All I could think about was getting back on the track.

Have fun. Don't worry about being slow, just be smooth. Talk to other riders. Don't be afraid to approach a CR or another rider. And most of all HAVE FUN.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Everybody to the Limit

Sportbike: 05 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 39
How you found us: Surfing

My first track day was at Road America with a couple of buddies. I was a little nervous but at least I had a couple of guys to ride with. After the second lap, wide open down the front straight on a ZX-12, I was cursing myself for missing so many years of track riding. Now I'm totally hooked and street riding is incredibly boring to me. I predict: you are going to be having great fun by the second session of the day.

http://bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/
R.I.P. Motobeagle
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

I rode the free Intro at BHF last August. Even two sessions at that slow pace was better than 6 years of street riding. The next week I signed up for a full day and bought some leathers and better boots.

There's a lot to love about NESBA. First and foremost as a newbie is the friendly, unintimidating atmosphere. Second is you can guarantee that by the third session you'll be ready for the pace to pick up. The CRs slow the pace during the Intro sessions to enable everyone to feel out the track, find their braking points, turn ins, etc.

No need to treat this like a race or worry about getting in the way of others. Line up near the back of the slow lane and you're almost guaranteed to feel safe with the pace. As you settle in during the day, you can line up further forward if you like.

This method worked for me till on my 3rd full day I lined up at the front of the fast lane. Bender and I gapped the field and I got bumped. Now I'm using the same plan in "I". Just ease into it and you'll find your comfort zone. Then each session you can expand that zone a little.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:41 AM

I had my first experience at VIR in Virginia on a crusty zx6E. It was heavy as hell but there were friends that have rode there before and helped me through all the turns. after say the 4th time out it got better and better to me till the point that I was like when is the next session, and the day was all gone. I was so worried about keeping up that I was not having fun. Like everyone else says be smooth and have fun you will be amazed at what you have done later in the day and want to go back.
Also don't worry about the other people on the track, they are will pass you at the right times and it is their job to do it in a safe manner your only job is to keep you mind on what is in front of you. Always look ahead not back, Oh and its not a race so have fun.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

All I can say is awsome. I'm going to do a couple of NESBA days this year too. I can't wait

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Grattan was my first track day, I took the GLRRA race school. I drove up by myself with a Uhaul trailer the night before, I didn't get much sleep with all the anticipatory energy. We did the class session and track walk and finally, riding the track. I was pretty nervous because the race class ran on the open practice day Friday before the race weekend. You would see white plated experts just flying around there. Once I got on the track it felt pretty natural, not that I was ever a fast guy I'm completely mediocre. I think people make a huge deal about riding on a track versus the street, I mean it's still riding a motorcycle right? I came back with a huge smile like everybody gets after a track session. It took me 3 trips to the track to get a knee down. The Track is where a motorcycle should be.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:45 PM

Quote:
[i] The Track is where a motorcycle should be. [/B]
I second that notion!!!
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

It seems like everyone gets little nervious the first time but soon overcome that fear & it becomes addiction.
So, anyone else will be at BHF on 6/26???
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Most likely! You'll find us parked near the tech shed.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 03:57 PM

Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to maks
Quote:
Originally posted by JAYBNX
So, anyone else will be at BHF on 6/26???
There'll be a bunch of us there, I'm sure. I hope to go, but no definite plans yet. Ask around when the date gets closer.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Grasshopper

First track experience was in 01. I took Breuers LCR school and discovered that track and racing time is extremely expensive addictive.

The track experience was great. I loved it. Rick and the Crew took care of me and made me feal welcome. I consider BHF as another home.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by maks
Ask around when the date gets closer.
will do.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:18 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I plan on being there both days. I'm always better on the second day.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:33 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

June 26... that's 3 days after me birthday. I better go to that one. Oh and we didn't have track days back in the days. My first track experience was in 1993 when I registered for Rick and Dave's Excellent Road Racing School (LCR now). Then I crashed my freaking brains out the next day during my first ever race.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

My first trackday was at RA in 02'. Heck of a place to go my first time out. Was very nervous cause it was raining until about 8am, but the weather cleared and the track dried up nice. I could barely talk upon returning to the pits. Blew my mind the way people were passing me on bigger bikes. By the end of the day I was passing some people too. Went another year on the street and decided the track is all that matters (for now). Street riding is boring in comparison. All I have to say is do it, do it now!

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 10:36 PM

My first day was at Summit Point JC. Did it with a few BRAG friends. My wife was worried that I was too calm before hand. I did have a few butterflies but the second we went out for the first session they went away. Just went out and had a blast. It was impressive how fast I could get passed. Really a humbling experience.
Nesba is also a top notch organization. I'm a 'B', been a 'B' for while. Never heard anything bad been mentioned about just being a 'B'. Remember ride at your own pace. It's now how many miles an hour you go, it how many smiles an hour you have.
Also remember to get everything done on your bike the weekend before. Don't save anything for the day/night before. Just try to get a good night sleep.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
1st time for me was hardly a good day.

Borrowed leathers ..........Way to tight but workable.
Had to ride to BH.........In the pouring rain. Before I was able to get off I90 I got a speeding ticket doing 105 and just did the intro.

It was enough fun though that I signed up for both days at Putnam soon after.

I dont recal nerves being a problem, and the Intro is very slow and controlled.

This is gonna hurt!
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 05:50 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I know I'm the oddball.....but, I have heard some people say they will give up on street riding, it's boring, that track riding is the only way to go, your going to miss great riding adventures, my fondest motorcycle memory is not of the track, but of the street, an imagine burned in my brain, big left hand sweeper, 6 bikes ahead me, all on the same line, absolutely beautiful fall day. On the track I'm always "edgy"

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode