VIR is BAD f-ing ASS... and 1st expert weekend - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

VIR is BAD f-ing ASS... and 1st expert weekend

Ok so I *almost* survived my 1st expert weekend unscathed

First of all... VIR is a BAD ASS track. As it stands right now, I'm ranking it ahead of Barber. The faster you go, the more rewarding it is. The back section is fun as all hell... and I was hard-core digging the roller coaster. Kinda tough to learn, as there is a LOT going on... and really no place to rest. But holy crap... everything is left-right-left-right and you are RAILING... 3rd/4th/5th and damn that front straight is long. If you guys get the chance to roll there, I'd highly recommend it.

2nd... I am SO glad I went expert. A wise young man (Jessie Janisch) once told me... "Going to expert will make you 2-3 seconds faster, guaranteed." Well, I think he's right. I don't think I would've gotten anywhere near the laptimes I was running had I stayed in the yellow-plated class. While I don't think the back of the pack in expert is all that much faster than your average Am... they are definitely much cleaner and more predictable.

We left Chicago at 5:00 on Thursday to head out to VIR. Didn't wind up rolling into the track until close to 10:00 AM (oops!) Thankfully the super-kind staff was nice enough to let us squeak into the back row of GTU and Team Challenge.

Missed 99% of practice. As soon as we registered, rolled the bikes out of the trailer, geared up, tech'd, and snuck out into our last practice session as the checkered flag was waving. Officials let us go out, provided we came right back in after 1 lap. So GTU was basically our practice. Kinda hairy... first expert race, NO idea what direction the track went... I just kinda let everybody go, figured I'd go out for a stroll. Started to finally get the hang of the track, thought I was rolling along pretty well until I got lapped by Jensen going into T1... guy freaking backs it in in front of me. But I started to realize as the faster guys lapped me that it was actually a GOOD thing. Started to try to follow the fast guys for as long as I could... "Ooooooh, so THAT'S how to take that corner..." Wound up going from 1:45s to 1:39s, just by getting lapped (who'd a thunk it?)

By the end of the weekend I had run a bunch of 1:36s, a best of 1:36.3, while riding at about 60% I think my best finish was 16th (?) starting from row 11. I want more track time, as there are a ton of things I want to try (gearing for one, and suspension for another.) I think I can get down to the 34s pretty comfortably, maybe even 33s if I try hard enough. There is NO way I would've come CLOSE to these times had I stayed Am. I think the leading Ams were going 1:37.50s (which is STILL flyin', no disrespect)... but I would've been fighting it out with those guys, and no way I would've gone over a second faster had I not bumped myself up.

A few BIG realizations that hit me this weekend:
1) Pre-registering is WAY more important as an expert. Starting in rows 10 and 11 all weekend makes it TOUGH as heck to work your way to the front, especially when all of these guys have been racing a few years.

2) Passing is a lot harder to do as an expert.

3) DON'T try to stretch out a set of tires. (Ok, so this has nothing to do with being an expert.) Learned this the hard way, tucking the front in the back section on lap 5 of 7 in my last race of the weekend. I'm ok... but now I have a pile of aluminum that I need to reassemble When in doubt - just buy a set of tires. $300 is WAY cheaper than the $1000 it's gonna cost me to put this POS back together!

To those Ams out there who are contemplating jumping ship... DO IT. The contingency as an Am is definitely nice (it's what kept me an Am for the first half of this year)... but pushing to keep up with the REAL fast guys will hopefully get me closer to collecting contingency as an expert

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 05:47 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

glad you had fun, and sounds like you had a great day of racing.
and YEP tires is cheap insurance.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 08:28 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL

Did Dano run?

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 09:22 PM

Sportbike: '14 BMW S1000R, '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA
Years Riding: Long time...
How you found us: VTR 996 - in '02

That's awesome, Jim. Congrats.

Tom / '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA / 1969 Honda Mini-Trail / '14 BMW S1000R
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
cool

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 08:39 AM
G2G

VIR is a great track. I have ran that track about 10 different days and it never gets old. You think the north course is fun have a go at the south course man that is a blast also. Glad you had fun!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen

Excellent!!!!!!!!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Quote:
Originally posted by JRSMAIL

Did Dano run?
Yep, DanO ran... was a good weekend for both of us. He got T-boned in GTU by some dinglenut going through the rollercoaster... but all he needed was a few quick repairs to get the bike back together. He eventually won the "lap time race" by turning a best of a 1:35.9 vs. my 1:36.3. I finished ahead of him in one race, he finished ahead of me in another, and I crashed in the race that he had a mechanical problem and didn't make the starting grid. But we both had a blast... once we both started to get on pace we were chasing each other, trying to make our way towards the front. Just like old times... it was a blast. I missed racing with him.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode