How long do you spend on one skill before working on the next? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

How long do you spend on one skill before working on the next?

I just realized something at the track this past sunday. We were doing the third gear drill which allows you to focus on your conering without shifting. Anyway so I thought to myself that is really cool and I learned a lot. Now how much time should I spend just really beating the cornering to death so it becomes second nature before moving onto something else, like shifting?

How about it, how long do you guys spend working on one specific area of your track riding, and also how often do you re-visit and focus back on something you learned a while ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

Not that I should be some sort of pattern but I was told by Mama Drucker to find a gear and stick with it. Work on entry and exit speed and smoothness. THEN work on other things. I generally try the first 2 session in 3rd then by the 3rd session I'm feeling really comfortable and I start working on other things linke gettin off the bike and shifting and braking later and and and.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 12:35 PM

Hmmmm I have no skills....I'm a hack.

I just try to go fast. If I think I'm slow in a specific turn or section or track I'll work on that part. But I don't really go out with the mentality "I'm gonna practice XXXXX", I just try to make it all come together smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:02 PM

I'm slower than Mark and I practice specific things My latest thing is, I pick one thing to work on that session, like setting up early, or hitting my markers, or body position, etc... and each corner (or the specific corner I'm sucking at that day) I work on that specific skill. I do it until I think I got it right or I'm stop making progress, then I pick something else.

I also only ride at about 80% when I do this - a lot of those who are much smarter/faster than I have said this over and over - you learn WAY more at 80% than you do at 100%... and it's neat when your new 80% is faster than your old 100%.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I work on it till I get it perfect. And no less. Now if I could just get something perfect

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:08 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Re: How long do you spend on one skill before working on the next?

Quote:
Originally posted by lovebothkats
I just realized something at the track this past sunday. We were doing the third gear drill which allows you to focus on your conering without shifting. Anyway so I thought to myself that is really cool and I learned a lot. Now how much time should I spend just really beating the cornering to death so it becomes second nature before moving onto something else, like shifting?

How about it, how long do you guys spend working on one specific area of your track riding, and also how often do you re-visit and focus back on something you learned a while ago?
Let me tell you something about racing/trackday or just going fast. It's all about *CORNER SPEED*!! Everything else will fall into place. Yeah you're gonna need to get your shift points and braking points down. But those are easy. That drill is probably one of the best drills. I remember Keith Code making us do that drill when I took his school years ago. I was like this is dumb anyways it just make you learn how fast you can really go thru a corner. *corner speed*corner speed*corner speed*......ect..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:37 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Quote:
Originally posted by phozed

I also only ride at about 80% when I do this - a lot of those who are much smarter/faster than I have said this over and over - you learn WAY more at 80% than you do at 100%... and it's neat when your new 80% is faster than your old 100%.
Good point, I try to tell this to my self over and over again!! Sometime you have to slow down to go FASTER!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode