Track Tires - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Track Tires

What are you guys running? Anyone have experience on the Pirelli SuperCorsa Race tires? I've been using 208-gpa's but they are wearing out to fast and cost to much. I like the softer compound tires though. Please list the pro's and con's of the tires you run as well as costs. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

I bought a few sets of the old 208GPs and have one more left....they are soft and last a long time. You may be able to find some leftover somewhere.

Everyone is complaining about the new A rears.

I've heard alot of talk about the Diablos...a notch below the 208GPa in softness/stickeyness, but dam close plus they LAST! It seems a few more pounds of pressure do wonders for the Diablos 34-36 from what I recall.

Once I run our of the GPs, m going to try some slicks...probably Michelins.

Last edited by Kruz; 07-15-2004 at 03:38 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Thunder man

Sportbike: 98 ZX-9R, 08 R6, 11 R6
Years Riding: A long time
How you found us: been here from the begining

Pirelli Supercorsa tires are great tires but will wear almost as fast as the 208’s. I ran a set and got 3 days from them. These tires are super lightweight and warm up quickly they are great for racing.

If you want the most bang for the buck try a set of the Pirelli Diablo Corsa tires. I run these on my street/track bike and you will be surprised with the grip and wear of these tires. I can usually get 5 days out of a rear and 10 days from the front with some street miles in between.

If it is a track only bike or you have another set of rims. You may want to try slicks. I run slicks on my 1000cc race bikes. I have run Bridgestone’s, and Michelin slicks and like them both. I am sure I would like the Pirelli ones too since they are the same compounds as the Supercorsa. Slicks are nice because they do not start tear and cup like DOT race tires at the tread pattern. I have gotten 6 good days out of my last set of Bridgestone slick. The front still has some life but the rear is done.

I have also run the Michelin M2, S2 DOT race tire. I get about 5 days out of a rear and about 7 out of a front. The good thing about these tires is they take a lot of heat cycles before giving up grip. The bad thing is they take some time to warm up with out tire warmers. So you have to take it real easy for a lap or two.

Brent
Nesba Dir/CR #319
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Thunder man

Sportbike: 98 ZX-9R, 08 R6, 11 R6
Years Riding: A long time
How you found us: been here from the begining

Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz

I've heard alot of talk about the Diablos...a notch below the 208GPa in softness/stickeyness, but dam close plus they LAST! It seems a few more pounds of pressure do wonders for the Diablos 34-36 from what I recall.

Kruz knows his shit...he's right on with the extra few lbs in the Diablos.

Brent
Nesba Dir/CR #319

Last edited by Kruz; 07-15-2004 at 03:37 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

Been running the Pirelli DCs and have been very happy, aside from my own negligence. At 5/12 CLSB day I ran the rear at 31psi and it tore apart pretty good. Stupidity on my part, as I've read many posts about them needing 34-36.

I would guess your R6 would get 6 to 8 days on a set of DCs. On the other hand, you're a good bit faster than me so you may want the extra grip of a DOT tire.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode