My CCS racing Experience 7/17 - 7/18 BHF - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Grasshopper

My CCS racing Experience 7/17 - 7/18 BHF

Swerve and I left the south side around 10:30 or 11 on Friday night. He took me to a friends house in the city to get some parts and the I bought a set of Tire Sox for 150 bucks. SCREAMING DEAL MAN . Thanks for the hook up!

Saturday Morning I was woke up abruptly by the smell of 110 octane and reving motors. I decided I was going to race GTL and Thunderbike.

GTL was a great experience and a long race to say the least. I had 3 off road excursions during the race. The first time I went off the track was in the beginning of turn 6. I was too hot into the corner and just ran rite off the track. I kept it up, lost a few positions but was able to re-join the race. I ended up catching the 2 guys that got by me when I went off in 6 and a few laps later I went off in turn 1. Again I was too hot into the turn. I didn't let out of the gas in 6th gear on the front straight until like 100 feet after the tower. The funny part about was my whole family was at turn 1 and saw it. They said my ass end was sliding out and the front end was hopping something feirce. I rejoined the race and a few laps later I went too hot into turn 7. This was the bad one. I was able to keep it up but I blazed a trail 30 feet back in the tall weeds and swamp. The corner workers couldn't even see me. I was jumping up and down trying to get there attention because I was FUCKING STUCK back there . The bike still up rite and running, just stuck. I started to smell burning grass from the motor in the weeds. When I went off in 7 all I was thinking at 60 mph going through the weeds was "PLEASE DON'T LET THERE BE WATER, PLEASE DON'T LET THERE BE WATER BACK HERE"

I ended up finishing 14th out of 18 guys, which in my book is damn good for going off the track 3 times in a race and not dumping my bike.

Thunderbike I placed 10th and ran consistant 24's. Fun time on Saturday.

I'll recap on sunday in a little while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
LOL, yeah... I could "hear" you all the way around the track on Saturday! I'm glad that your little trip to "Iowa" was without incident.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:36 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

glad ya had, fun, but bro, keep it on da track!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:39 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

That's too funny Nick...how did you get the bike unstuck? Sounds like you finished? Did you throw pea gravel at the corner worker?
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Slowass

That is just so weird...Nick never does shit like that. And then 3 times in one race.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Grasshopper

Sunday

So Saturday night we decided to tear Grovers bike apart and do a 520 conversion. Did you find all your tools in the grass bro?

We had 2 problems, I broke the one pin for the chain breaker and the front sprocket nutt was sooo damn tight we needed a breaker bar or an impact. We ended up getting it free and Grover is officially 520 converted

Sunday was my good day. I raced LWSS, LWSB, and LWGP. I place 10th and 7th and 7th. I ran consistant 23's and 24's.

No off road excursions in any of these race I just ran consistant and tried to be smooth. Very fun weekend.

And I'd like to congradulate DAVE LBK for running a 1:20. Good job my friend
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz
That's too funny Nick...how did you get the bike unstuck? Sounds like you finished? Did you throw pea gravel at the corner worker?

No I'm not a whinny little bitch like some cocky AMA guys. I'm friends with all the corner workers and really appreciate there presence and enthusiasm about the sport. I've done some corner work myself and know how it is. A little respect and smile goes a long way. I did finish the race and did not come in last place.

I'D LIKE TO GIVE A BIG THANKS TO THE CORNER WORKER THAT HELPED ME GET OUT OF THE JUNGLE BACK OFF OF TURN 7.

What was his name Kim? He was riding the green 4 - wheeler around with all his gear.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!

That was Mike Byrd. You can find him in the large motorhome parked alongside the garages on the road to the tech shed.

Are you going to Gingerman?

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Grasshopper

Yup, I'll be at Gingerman, and I plan on going to Barber as well.

The races are only on Sunday at Gingerman Kim? Track day on Saturday? SUP WIT DAT?
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:12 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I'm glad to hear that none of your off-road experiences resulted in a crash. When's your next race weekend?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Saturday is the LP Sportrider day... discounted fees for racers will apply.

There is only one round of practice on Sunday morning... they will run the GTO and GTL before lunch. GTU will be first after lunch.

All the races are combined EX and AM. That's how they can do it in one day. Historically, Gingerman has not been very well attended... the grids are very small.

HERE is a link to the schedule for that weekend.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:17 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Nick..
it was cool to finally meet you bro. You looked good out there. Did that ride height change work out for you?
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by TZDeSioux
Nick..
it was cool to finally meet you bro. You looked good out there. Did that ride height change work out for you?

Yea, it feals a little better, I did notice my tail wagging alot hard on the brakes. Is that normal. I see the AMA guys doing it all the time. But I can really feal it
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Great job Nick on keeping it upright in all three of those situations, and congrats on the the consistant 23's. You'll continue getting faster for sure and next thing you know I'll be trying my hardest to hunt you down.

For me it was a good weekend, but Brian still passed me while waving in the Lightweight GP race, Stinkin RC51's still get me in the Supertwins, and found out what a front wheel slide feels like. I almost shit myself when that happened.

All in all it was a great weekend, and it was a great time hanging out with everyone, HUGE thanks for the food Grover!!!

G2G, sorry things went the way they did for you man if you weren't getting run off the track you were getting meatball flags. That really sucks, but hey all in all you had some good finishes considering the circumstances.

Also Grover had some fun dicing in one of those races can't remember which one it was. Now come to Gingerman Grover.

Nick, we'll see you there...
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper
Yea, it feals a little better, I did notice my tail wagging alot hard on the brakes. Is that normal. I see the AMA guys doing it all the time. But I can really feal it
Now you gotta work on the front. Are you bottoming out when you're hard on the brakes? Maybe the the forks are packing and not coming back up fast enough?
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lovebothkats
Great job Nick on keeping it upright in all three of those situations, and congrats on the the consistant 23's. You'll continue getting faster for sure and next thing you know I'll be trying my hardest to hunt you down.

For me it was a good weekend, but Brian still passed me while waving in the Lightweight GP race, Stinkin RC51's still get me in the Supertwins, and found out what a front wheel slide feels like. I almost shit myself when that happened.

Dave.. congrats on the personal best bro. I knew it was just a matter of time.

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by TZDeSioux
Now you gotta work on the front. Are you bottoming out when you're hard on the brakes? Maybe the the forks are packing and not coming back up fast enough?

Brian, the forks come off the bike tonight. New oil, reajust the emulators and set the sag.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

So YOU were the one... LOL.

I was in the tower looking over my lap time charts when I overheard Bill talking about you....

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Slowass

I'll be doing the track day at Gingerman on Saturday, so I'll see ya'll there!

Kimmie -- Nice seein' ya at the track havin' a So sorry you're stuck in the corners but glad you're still at the track. Next time, let's beat up somebody and take their registration stuff so you can get out there!

Nicky!!! I'm proud of ya for your being consistent with your best times for Sunday! WOOO HOOO!
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
So YOU were the one... LOL.

I was in the tower looking over my lap time charts when I overheard Bill talking about you....
Who? And what were they talking about?
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by lovebothkats
Who? And what were they talking about?

Me blazing a trail through the jungle
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper
Me blazing a trail through the jungle
Oh that...
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:13 AM

It was nice hanging with you guys on Sat. I had to go on Sunday for several meetings. Grasshopper it was my pleasure on the hook-up with the warmers. Now we can really call you GRASSHOPPER!!! It fits perfectly. I am so happy to hear that so many people did well out there and that there were no big incidents. I ran a 26 on the R6 that I was riding. After crashing my RS250 I had to throw together a bike and the R6 was it. I tell you I will never just throw a bike together to ride again, that was scary. I had fun though. Thanks to all for the good conversation and comming over to say hello!

Hope to have the RS250 back together for barbers fest AUG 13-15 to hit up some of the GPRU 250 races. I might be sneeking into gingerman we will see.
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Slowass

Quote:
Originally posted by swerve
Now we can really call you GRASSHOPPER!!! It fits perfectly.
OMG!!! I didn't think of that...And the screen name takes on a brand new meaning. GOD! Three times in one race...I STILL can't get over that!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by swerve
After crashing my RS250 I had to throw together a bike and the R6 was it.
You can never, ever go wrong with an R6 ...Right Edgar?

Mike, it was really cool hangin with ya on Saturday! It was nice to meet the little lady! Hope to see you both at Gingerman...I'll be on an R6!
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Wannabe racer

In my best Jim Carry voice.... Three times is tooo much...
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 12:37 PM
G2G

Well the weekend started off with my racing partner not showing up to pick me and the trailer up at 5 am for the track. Seems he had to much to drink at the oval race and neglected to show up. So I had a trailer that was locked that I did not have a key to with all my shit in it. Well after hooking up the trailer and heading to the Home Depot in Rockford to buy bolt cutters I made to the track right at 8 am. CCS lost me preregristation forms that I faxed in 3 weeks ahead of time so I had to start from the last position of all my races tis has been an ongoing thing with CCS and they could care less if it ever gets fixed but sucks for me cuz I have to start dead last in all my races. GT lights started 21st and finished 11th. Thunderbike started like 16th or so and finished 6th. No so bad considering I had to weed through traffic. Sunday Did not finish as good as I wanted to got bumped off the track on the first lap of one race but managed another 6th place and on the Supertwins race I jumped the start by the slightest of margins but they meat balled me I was pissed cuz I was running 3rd fighting for 2nd starting from the last row. I come in do my stop and go on the 4th lap as I am heading out towards turn 1 I look behind me to see if anyone is coming so I don't cut in front of them and as I do I accidently cross the yellow line which is a . So I get a stop and go penalty for that. Well I ended up with a 6th or 7th out of all that mayham but since I ran some decent laptimes throughout the weekend I wasn't dissapointed in my efforts. It was nice to see alot of CLSB's out there. Can't wait for Gingerman I will see you all out there. Oh by the way I preregistered at the track and I video taped it so if they lose the form I have it on tape.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 12:58 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally posted by Good2Go
Well the weekend started off with my racing partner not showing up to pick me and the trailer up at 5 am for the track. Seems he had to much to drink at the oval race and neglected to show up. So I had a trailer that was locked that I did not have a key to with all my shit in it. Well after hooking up the trailer and heading to the Home Depot in Rockford to buy bolt cutters I made to the track right at 8 am. CCS lost me preregristation forms that I faxed in 3 weeks ahead of time so I had to start from the last position of all my races tis has been an ongoing thing with CCS and they could care less if it ever gets fixed but sucks for me cuz I have to start dead last in all my races. GT lights started 21st and finished 11th. Thunderbike started like 16th or so and finished 6th. No so bad considering I had to weed through traffic. Sunday Did not finish as good as I wanted to got bumped off the track on the first lap of one race but managed another 6th place and on the Supertwins race I jumped the start by the slightest of margins but they meat balled me I was pissed cuz I was running 3rd fighting for 2nd starting from the last row. I come in do my stop and go on the 4th lap as I am heading out towards turn 1 I look behind me to see if anyone is coming so I don't cut in front of them and as I do I accidently cross the yellow line which is a . So I get a stop and go penalty for that. Well I ended up with a 6th or 7th out of all that mayham but since I ran some decent laptimes throughout the weekend I wasn't dissapointed in my efforts. It was nice to see alot of CLSB's out there. Can't wait for Gingerman I will see you all out there. Oh by the way I preregistered at the track and I video taped it so if they lose the form I have it on tape.
That blows. I was wondering how your friend is gonna be the next day...
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Wannabe racer

Yeah that really sucks about the pre-reg especially since it KEEPS happening. That is a joke, then they expect you to be all cool and calm about it while they place you at the back of the grid. Total B/S.

Also that is pathetic that they called you on the jump start considering there was someone else who jumped it BIG TIME I mean huge, and they didn't bother with him. It seems as if they are a bit selective with some things.
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Dave, I think they meatballed that guy too - saw the flag after the start.

Steve... it's gonna get better. It HAS to.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 01:13 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Rough weekend Steve....Im surprised you made it up at all Sat morning after all the crashes on the 50 Fri night.

Sounds like your "Podium" friend never woke up. Guess he will have to wait until Gingerman to get that first podium.

I had a rough Sat night wedding and never made it out to cheer you guys on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode