help with getting started for racing - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

help with getting started for racing

Hi guys. I'm really interested in starting to race but have no idea where to start. I think i might want to start at a 250cc level but am not sure. I'm not sure in how much racing is even available, usually it's all super sport and above. Can someone just point me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 03:01 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

WHat kind of experience do you have riding a motorcycle? Your signature says you've ridden an F4i....?

There are plenty of ways to get your feet wet before just jumping into amateur racing. I suggest signing up for one of our private trackdays. Our control riders will help you learn how to ride on the track.

Our next private day....

If you want to get on the track right away you should checkout Nesba. They run a similar format plus a lot of us ride with them as well.

www.nesba.com

If you want to jump right into racing, which I do not recommend, there are a variety of schools in the area. A few of us have received our licenses from Learning Curves.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

My experience is purely street riding. I feel like i have good comand of the bike but really want to test my limits. I'm not scared which i hear can be a big problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 07:59 PM

Sportbike: R6, FE570, TZ250, CFR450
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to racingxtc7 Send a message via Yahoo to racingxtc7
Are you looking to race or to test your limits? If your just looking to test your limits and have fun, than I highly recommend doing track days. If you going to start racing than you should looking into getting a bike thats already setup for racing. You can pickup a 4-5 year old race bike for less than the cost of setting a bike up for racing. The most popular race bike to start on is a Suzuki SV650 which is legal in all the Lightwieght races.

To get a racing licence to need to take a class. If you decide you want to race CCS than all you need to do is show up earily on the saturday of any CCS race weekend and sign up with "Learning Curves". The course starts at about 7:30 over by the tower and cost $150. If you keep the rubber side down you'll pass. Take you Deploma over to CCS registation. CCS licence is $75 right now (its $110 at the begining of the season).

Jeff

http://www.learningcurves.com/
http://www.ccsracing.com

CCS/USGPRU#976
<----Jeff
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions thus far!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode