POST: CCS Racing at Gingerman 8/1 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover

That about sums it up.

Saturday was great. I've never been to the track before so I signed up for 'sport' class (intermediate, pretty much). It was about 4 bikes out there, so that was great. By the end of the day I was running about 1:51:xx consistently. Not great, but at least I wouldn't be hazardous during the racing. Came close to raining, but never really did.

Sunday was a complete blast. LWSuperSport was fun, I followed some faster guys through 5-6 (hairpin douple apex left) and that helped me lose a couple seconds. Managed to get below 1:49 several times, nothing over 1:50.

Then came SuperTwins Damn, I love that class for some reason. I managed a legitimate real racing pass, then I saw Bernard within grasp (or so I thought, he was actually about 100 feet ahead the whole time). I managed to get within 6-7 bike lengths of him before the end of the race. I checked the lap timer and had consistent 1:45:xx (all 7 laps!) Since I was done racing, I

I'm probably taking a couple weeks off to recover ($$$) I'll be ready and anxious by my birthday weekend at Blackhawk.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

First of all huge Congrats to Nick(Grasshopper) who had a great weekend at Gingerman. I know he had a 2nd place finish and a 3rd place finish both in front of me and he was riding great. So congrats man, now just get that air filter before blackhawk because they will definitely tech there, I think the only reason they didn't at Gingerman was due to time.

Next, Grover you were doing great out there man and I think you really tooks some huge steps forward in your riding. 1:45's is pretty good around that track. It's very bumpy and not the easiest track to find a fast way around. Plus a lot of people that I know are fast were running 1:41 - 1:42's in practice so you are definitely getting there man.

Steve (G2G) man what can I say except you had a heck of a weekend, after driving all the way back here to get a throttle cable your bike ends up knocking, but hey at least you were able to borrow a bike and finish the day.

As far as me, well it was up and down. I ran practice on Sat. and I really just couldn't find a fast way around that track the bike was bottoming out on some of the bumps later noticed that my belly pan was dragging because of this. The first race I got a horrible start and just couldn't come back from that wound up taking 7th. Next race (Supertwins) I got a great start and was feeling good until someone decided that the curb was a line through turn 1 when we were already 2 or 3 wide going through there. I should've just leaned on him, but no I didn't I backed off which pushed me back about 3 positions.

I wound up behind this guy on an RC51 who was very late on the brakes but then VERY HARD on them. It was getting really scary, and I was trying to find a way around him, when Nick passed me. So I figured I'd wait behind Nick see what he could do with this guy. Well that was a mistake because Nick found a way around him in my worst section of the track and really pulled away. I finally made it around this guy and got to where I could see Nick in front of me, but didn't have enough to catch him. So I hung back in 5th and finished the race there.

Then came LWSB again got a great start from the back row too, and then what do I see? The same guy shoving his bike underneath 2 to 3 people again in turn one. This time he almost took out the guy in front of me and not me so oh well. Get on the gas and go. Well kind of go, the bike didn't want to go, the tach would drop down to 0rpms and it would want to die, then all of sudden it would kick back in and make power. I figured I'd try and see how I could do with it. I made it past a couple people but then going into the horshoe, it did it again and a guy on almost crashed because of the reduction in speed midcorner and had to really take an odd line to get around me. So I decided it wasn't safe for me to be out there and risk injuring myself or worse someone else because they rear ended me while my bike lost power. So I put my hand up rode it around the rest of the track and into the pits.

I pulled up to Jim he was there with the Safety first racing crew, asked him if he had any ideas. He pointed me to a couple of areas but I couldn't get it resolved. So instead of risking it I called it a day. So now I have to find this electrical gremlin before the next race weekend. But hey I guess it's better than having to swap engines.

All in all it was a good weekend, great weather, good food THANKS Grover! And as always great company.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:06 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

[MOD....please move this to the track forum]

Sounds like a great weekend for most....get those gremlins worked out Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz
[MOD....please move this to the track forum]

Sounds like a great weekend for most....get those gremlins worked out Dave.
If I don't the wife's bike will get the exhaust and plastics from mine and I'll just have to skip the supersport race.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Grasshopper

Thanks for the compliment Dave! I was ready this weekend and rode my motorcycle as hard as I possibly could.

During practice on Saturday I was mainly trying to learn the track. Finding the correct lines and trying to avoid cerain Craters in the race track was quite a challenge. I wasn't able to get below a 1:42 on Saturday with Caked up Shagged tires I had. So for the last 2 sessions I decided to mount new tires and do a few adjustments to my front end. I was able to dip down to a 1:38 after my adjustments. So Saturday went quite well.

LET ME TELL YOU PEOPLE. GINGERMAN HAS SO BUMPS AND HOLES THAT WILL FUCK YOU UP! .

Some are not avoidable, some are, taking the correct line makes all the difference in the world. This track is alot more wide than BHF. You can get on the throttle alot earlier on the exit of corners because theres more race track. I love this track. It's fun and different.

So Sunday came around and it all went great. I was able to dip into the 37s and 36s during practice. The fast guys are running 32's and 31's so I was getting close.

I ended up getting meatballed in Thunderbike because I moved to my correct grid position after the 2 board was up. OOOOOPS. I was running in 2nd place, I came in stopped and ended up placing 4th.

Supertwins was good. Some bastard on an RC51 kept parking it in the corners and I finally got around him all the way leaned over on the outside of 5. I took his line rite away from him I ended up with a 4th in that race to.

LWSS was a good race to. Placed 3rd and LWSB was all ballz and I placed a 2nd. I'm still pumped up rite now from yesterday.

Fun track, fun times, and good people. Awesome weekend.

I'd like to congradulate SLOWASS for getting her race license and supporting me over the weekend. She's getting alot smoother and alot more comfortable out on the track. She also has the tires on her motorcycle to prove her ability to corner at speed.

So if anyone has a problem with her riding the race track and having a valid race license they can report to me personally.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Grovie, I could see you grinning all the way up on the bridge!

Steve, thank you so much for the wheels... but you should have stopped by the tower before you left! Call me or something.

And a sideways "2" board is just my way of showin' LUV! Sorry, Dave!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen
Grovie, I could see you grinning all the way up on the bridge!

Steve, thank you so much for the wheels... but you should have stopped by the tower before you left! Call me or something.

And a sideways "2" board is just my way of showin' LUV! Sorry, Dave!

It's all good Kim I should've assumed any board sideways meant the race was about to start. Now I know, and it's all good I'm getting much better at starts too. I was a little too cautious before about jumping the start because I didn't want to get meatballed, but I think I've got the timing just right now.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Grasshopper

HA HA
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Slowass

Races and trackday

First of all, congratulations Nick!!! This was such an exciting day --Grasshopper got a plaque for EVERY race he was in. It was so exciting to watch that last race... I watch the expert wave go through...then I see the first amateur come through as I begin to count each yellow plate to determine which place Nick's in...One...THERE HE IS!!! Nick, you're no "mid-pack" racer anymore!

The track day
Saturday was my first try of an LP Privateer track day, and it was great. Good quality track time, $75. The groups were broken down into 4: Expert, Amateur, Sport and Street. Sport and Street were VERY sparse, so they combined the groups, which meant I had to share the track with a whole 4 other riders! I got to ride the first couple sessions with CCS's Racing Director, Bill, who showed me some lines. During the second session, I found my lines and was able to feel comfortable. I was still sloooooow but was starting to get it.

I got to talk with Bob and Carol of Fast Trax, who were giving me pointers and watching me out on the track. They and some of the racers were giving me pointers and I spent the rest of the day working on my "one-cheek off" seat positioning. I got great compliments on my improvement throughout the day, and am doing a better job of hanging off the bike. My last session felt great and I was a lot smoother than before. I love rolling into that last turn before hitting the straight...I wanna do this track again now that I know it better.

The advantage of Odysseys' track days
After having experienced two track organizations' other than the CLSB days, I can tell you that a CLSB day is a great way to experience a new track as a beginner because of all the control rider support you receive. You get lots of opportunities to see the lines, lots of time to try it on your own, and then they'll come back and work with you some more if they see your lines getting sloppy. You leave knowing how to handle each part of the track. With Bill's guidance at the LP day, I was able to find most but now all the lines but I'm still not sure how the hell to get through Ginger Man's decreasing radius turns beyond just looking through the corners. There are a lot more resources in the way of control riders at the CLSB days. Of course, I've never done a NESBA or STT day...

All in all, great track time!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:36 PM
G2G

Well lets start off by saying that this was my second worst race weekend ever. Saturday morning fell pretty good I am going out for my first session of the day. I am out on the track by myself for 4 laps before anyone elso is on the track. I clicked off a couple of 1:36's and felt like things were going to be good. I was only about 4 seconds off my pace and this was the first session of the day. On my last lap I feel my throttle sticking so when I pull into the pits I start checking the throttle cable to see what is wrong. I found my cable was splitting and caused a rats nest of little wires in my cable. When after missing the second session I clean up the cable so it wouldn't bunch up but I was only running on half a cable. I figured I would head out and shake her down again to make sure everything was ok. Well about the 2nd lap I come onto the straight away and the cable snaps. I pushed my bike to the pits and went searching for a cable at the track. Nobody had one so this ended my day early. Nothing like paying for a trackday and only getting 10 laps in. So I called back home to a friend a asked to borrow his cable off his bike for the races sunday he agrees so I am happy. Well on my way home I called about 7 Suzuki shops not one had one in stock. I called another friend up and he says he has a salvaged bike with no engine that has the cables just hanging off it and says I can come and snag them. This makes Stevie a very happy guy. I figured hey I missed out on practice but I will be set for the races. So I get the bike put together and I head off in the morning to Gingerman. I was a little behind in laptimes since I did not get any practice in but I figured I was just pushit a little and try my best. My results in the first two races where a third in Lightweight supersport and a third in Supertwins. I was still sore as all hell (anyone who saw me in the pits walking around could plainly see that I was one hurting SOB. I could barley walk straight and racing around was a chore in itself with road rash on my hand.) I was happy with my times eventhough they were slow I think I clicked off a couple of 1:34's but ran times that were very consistant. Then my third race Lightweight superbike. I get a decent start but the lead goup is pulling away. I feel that my bike is a little sluggish and I am not getting full power. I am on the back straight and then I hear a clanking noise from my engine. I get through the last corner and I figued I better pull off the track. Sure enough I blew a rod bearing. Uhh you just said rod So I came in last place in that race. Well thanks to my friend who missed the LCR school he had his bike at the track and offered for me to race it in the last race. So his sv has yellow plates but not to worry nothing a little white duct tape can't fix. The bike is teched and ready to go just in time for my last race Lightweight GP. I get a decent star even though I am not use to his bike. I am in the lead group for the first lap but I notice the rear is slipping alot. Since it is not my bike and I blew up my Sv and crashed my other bike earlier in the week I did not want to be fixing three bikes if I crashed. So I backed the pace down a little bit and finished sixth. What an expensive weekend but at least no crashes or broken bones.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
The LP days generally do not have ANY control riders so getting somebody to even go out there was different. For most LP days, the rules are enforced by race control with the corner workers looking out for people breaking the passing rules. I noticed a big improvement in Rachael's consistency towards the end of the day. She had a lot less mid-corner line changes and by the end of the day I wasn't lapping her.

I was trying several different lines to avoid the big dips. Managed to avoid the one going into...7 (carosel right hander after the double apex). I heard/proved that you can avoid the one going onto the front straight by going a couple feet out into the track at the apex. The track is wide enough that you will have plenty of track left. Of course, I never did that. Was there a way to avoid the bumps in the back straight? I never even tried going down the center, I always just lined up for the next corner.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:40 PM
G2G

Kimmy, I was in a rush and was a little pissed about my bike. I figured I would just leave them for ya. No biggie. Good to see ya out there.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Wannabe racer

Steve, I saw how hurt you were a little too much in fact now I can't get that image out of my head. You bastard.

Grover, I just decided to accept the bumps as part of the tracks "character"
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Grasshopper

Were you guys just nailing that bump on the inside of that long right hander? I think it was turn 6. I would hit it sometimes but if you take it on the inside just inches from the grass it was a pretty good line and smooth to.

Turn 2 was fucking me up. My front end would start to chatter when I was in that turn completlely leanded over. I would hit one of those cracks and it would set off a chain reaction and my bike would do weird things underneath me.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Slowass

Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper
Were you guys nailing...hit it... fucking me...do weird things underneath me.

Strange choice of metaphors.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
G2G

Yes the inside line of the the long right hander is the sweet line. When you go through there your knee it touching the grass. Turn 2 is my weak spot. I could not get it down the whole weekend no matter how hard I tried.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Wannabe racer

The horseshoe was my week spot, I started taking a mid track line through there with my knee and elbow stuck out as far as possible on the inside just to try and force someone to go around the outside of there if they wanted to pass.

Still didn't work though.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Sorry I didn't get to watch you all during Sunday's races. I was out shortly after five on Saturday. I don't know if I'll make it back for the next CCS weekend but, if I do, I'll look for you all then.

Bill Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Grover,

Good riding with you but, just remember, I owe you at least one pass.

Bill Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!

Bill - was that you on the Kat in the Sport/Street group? I was working Turn 5 on Saturday.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Bill - was that you on the Kat in the Sport/Street group? I was working Turn 5 on Saturday.
That would be Bill.

Bill it was good to see you again man, been almost a year. You have to make it out the next time, because I have to return your stuff and can't expect me to know where it is or remember it another year from now.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Darn! Hopefully next time you'll be around afterwards!

BTW... we were a little concerned 'bout the bike because it smoked towards the end of each session.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:00 PM

I was there on sat and Sun . Wished some of you would have stopped by and said Hi. Jim
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Were you over by Kevin and Jessie?

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by FourandSix
I was there on sat and Sun . Wished some of you would have stopped by and said Hi. Jim

Jim, that spring you changed onto my Ohlins shock works like a charm brotha. That definitly contributed to me doing so well yesterday.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally posted by FourandSix
Jim I kind of did of course it was asking for help with my bike too, so next time I'll try to just make it a straight social call.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by lovebothkats
Jim I kind of did of course it was asking for help with my bike too, so next time I'll try to just make it a straight social call.

Hey Dave, I have a 1.5K ohm resistor in my hand!
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Hey Dave, I have a 1.5K ohm resistor in my hand!
Yeah I have a package of 3 at home too, doesn't help much now.

I do appreciate you digging through the Bag O' fuses looking though. I should've just borrowed your damn bike for my last race.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Were you over by Kevin and Jessie?
Yes ,
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Jim, that spring you changed onto my Ohlins shock works like a charm brotha. That definitly contributed to me doing so well yesterday.
Glad it helped!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode