Go to Road America on 8/11/2004? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: GSXR 750
Years Riding: 28 years
How you found us: Cruising the 'net

Go to Road America on 8/11/2004?

I just went today. What a treat. It rained and stayed wet all morning. About 40 percent of the crowd left by noon. It stayed so bad that by the end of the day, another 40 percent had left. It was a near record low temp for the day. The track was really bad, with lots of slippery rubber laid down on it from the Grand Prix cars over the weekend.

It was horrible for the morning, and graduted to just poor for the last couple of afternoon sessions. In the morning, speed in the carousel was down 50% from normal. In one A session, it was just two of us out there. After 3 laps, another 3 riders joined us. But that was it. No one else even wanted to bother, or to risk the conditions.

There were lots of crashes during the rainy morning. Lots of light damage. I don't recall seeing anything too major as far as bike damage, but the ambulance did roll 3 or 4 times. I think I saw at least two riders and bikes down in the middle of the track. They red flagged the sessions of course.

I had a few wild moments myself. In one, I was coming out of three. After tiptoeing through the turn, I got on the gas just a tiny bit too much and wow! The rear and front both went crazy and I thought I might be on the ground in a hurry, but I caught it. Exiting 14 was always a challenge, with lots of people going down there. 5 was very slow and harrowing. In 6, 8 and 12, I found it was worthwhile to pick your way in-between the tar patches instead of try to ride over them. The long wide patch in Canada (12) was actually the least bad among them.

There was another session where the traction was so bad that I reall wondered what the heck I was doing out there, and that I should pull in. I calmed down and got over it though. I'd had a couple of wacky corner exit whip slides, you know, the instant kind?

There were a couple of semi-dry sessions in the afternoon, which were much better in contrast, but it was not like having full traction. I never did decide to trust the front, because the rear was so iffy.

It was still fun for the challenge and the time with friends at the track. I'm sure I learned something about riding for all that effort! It was kind of a scarey day at the track. I wouldn't want to do that if I knew it was coming, but I did enjoy it and made the most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I was up in Racine. It didn't rain up there, but came close. Riding any track, particularly that one with all the tar strips would be seriously bad. I love the corners of the track, but the straights bore me on the 650.

Sorry to hear it was less than super fun. Have to figure that happens at least once or twice a season.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:38 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

Hey Zippy, thx for the report.

I'm sorta glad I wussed out and didn't go today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 11:35 PM
Its all about coner speed

Sportbike: Sold '04 R6 silver
Years Riding: not that long
How you found us: yahoo

I was a bit lucky on 8/10. Slight rain in the morning around 7-8:30 or something. The weather is cold, sometime in the day if I breath wrong, my helmet sheild frog up.

Morning session is slippy, left turn are worst. Other than that, it was fun.

Bad thing I forgot my lap timer and run without knowing the time. But still fun and get faster and faster every session untill the end. I wish there was 1 more session, because I think I can pick up some more speed on some turns.

Well, That's all for me.
Good bye Road America.

Damn I wanna ride again!!!!!!!!!!

--------- Pol ---------
NESBA # 818 "I"
CLSB Track day "A"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

"NESBA has better weather!"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Ernie,

Be glad, be very glad. It was the worst conditions I've ever seen at a track day. Blackhawk in the pouring rain is 10x better than this was. It wasn't just those treacherous tar stripes, but the whole darn track. There was nary a spot on the whole track that you could just whip the throttle open, not even on the straights! In the last couple of sessions of the day, you could do it on the straights, but none before that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Everybody to the Limit

Sportbike: 05 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 39
How you found us: Surfing

nismoo, I didn't know you were there Tuesday! I gotta start paying attention to this site and look people up when I go to track days. Since I moved and can't make it to Strat's anymore, trackdays are the only way to put a face with a name. I'm sorry to hear about Wednesday, Zippy. I was signed up but the wife got sick so we left Tuesday night. Guess I didn't miss much.

http://bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/
R.I.P. Motobeagle
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I still had fun, but I'm wierd like that. You really didn't miss a thing.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Its all about coner speed

Sportbike: Sold '04 R6 silver
Years Riding: not that long
How you found us: yahoo

Quote:
Originally posted by 12RPilot
nismoo, I didn't know you were there Tuesday! I gotta start paying attention to this site and look people up when I go to track days. Since I moved and can't make it to Strat's anymore, trackdays are the only way to put a face with a name. I'm sorry to hear about Wednesday, Zippy. I was signed up but the wife got sick so we left Tuesday night. Guess I didn't miss much.

I was just in front of the restroom and always stay inside my car, The weather is so cold. I didn't prepare the cold weather. T-shirt and short.

Damn I wanna ride again!!!!!!!!!!

--------- Pol ---------
NESBA # 818 "I"
CLSB Track day "A"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode