Why Americans don't like Road Racing? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: R6, FE570, TZ250, CFR450
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to racingxtc7 Send a message via Yahoo to racingxtc7
Why Americans don't like Road Racing?

All over the world motorcycle road racing is one of the MOST popular spectator sports! Racers are icons even great than ours, such as Micheal Jordan. There's thousands and thousands of fans filling all the grand stands and lining the entire tracks at every race however in the USA, NOT even motorcycle enthusists will make a trip to see a road race! Whats the DEAL?!?!? Anyone have any theories?

Jeff

CCS/USGPRU#976
<----Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Same reason NASCAR is NOT at all popular outside of America
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

LAZY!!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Rev

Seems to me that all the action has to occur right before your eyes, like in a NASCAR oval or NHRA drag racing for example.

Spectators lose interest as soon as the action goes beyond what they can see.

I've been to a NASCAR race (even though I'm not a fan at all), and it was amazing! TV makes it boring.

That's my theory...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

It's possible that it has a European or non-American flavor to it. There usually isn't an American bike in the field. It's a Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Ducati show. This is just an observation mind you. It doesn't have that uniquely American feel that NASCAR or drag racing has had over the years. I don't claim to fully understand this either, but this is what I see. Kinda like soccer.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
So far your all right, put two competing american brands in the race and watch how it takes off here. Americans live for rivalries especially team rivalries. put the Harley team in there competing against the (for example) the Indian team, now have someone talk some smak, bam now you got ticket sales in this country. Its a jerry springer world out there.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

harley was in it before and it did not do well

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
harley was in it before and it did not do well
Yup they did not do well at all. plus I dont think they ran all the races (i could be wrong on that.) and they rarely if ever won. put a competitive amearican team in there and it could grow to a point but it will never be as big as football or something like that.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTony
Its a jerry springer world out there.
That sums it up there, I think that is unfortunately the largest number of people in America. They LOVE drama, heck look at all this reality TV. Whenever I tell someone I ride, they ask if I watch Orange County Choppers, why because it's Drama. Then take a look at NASCAR the majority of that is drama, drama in the pits, drama with the drivers, drama with the rules. I'd bet it's more that than it is even the brands being overseas.

If more people saw the whole Daytona Aaron Yates/Fania incident they'd become interested. If they saw the elbow incident between Biaggi and Rossi, they'd become more interested. But those things would have to happen ALL the time to keep them interested. Racing by itself isn't enough. That's my theory.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by lovebothkats
That sums it up there, I think that is unfortunately the largest number of people in America. They LOVE drama, heck look at all this reality TV. Whenever I tell someone I ride, they ask if I watch Orange County Choppers, why because it's Drama. Then take a look at NASCAR the majority of that is drama, drama in the pits, drama with the drivers, drama with the rules. I'd bet it's more that than it is even the brands being overseas.

If more people saw the whole Daytona Aaron Yates/Fania incident they'd become interested. If they saw the elbow incident between Biaggi and Rossi, they'd become more interested. But those things would have to happen ALL the time to keep them interested. Racing by itself isn't enough. That's my theory.

Exactly thats why Nascar has Tony Stewert. its looking more and more like the wwf over there and the popularity is exploding.

- Ronald Reagan

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Quote:
Exactly thats why Nascar has Tony Stewert. its looking more and more like the wwf over there and the popularity is exploding.

Funny I was going to compare it to WWF, but didn't want to offend anyone. I don't ever watch it but I saw a commercial and the guys line was "It's our job to break the rules, and it's their job to catch us"
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Slowass

This question stumps the hell outta me.

I'm going academic on this one. I'm gonna search the 'net for some historian who specializes in the rise of this institution of professional spectator sports, e-mail and find out what he/she has to say.

I'll report back later!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I think it's the stadium thing, if it was encapsulated in a stadium setting it might fly, like Nascar or Arenacross. Motorsport will never have the appeal that the big 3 team sports do in the US, period.

Harley should have one at Daytona when Scott Russell was riding for them but he was screwed by his pit crew. Oh well, we'll never know if the engine would've lasted.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Yup they did not do well at all. plus I dont think they ran all the races (i could be wrong on that.) and they rarely if ever won. put a competitive amearican team in there and it could grow to a point but it will never be as big as football or something like that.
Actually thats not what i ment. what i was trying to say is that harley had a team and the fans still didnt come, thought this could be due to there inability to be competitive.

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
I think part of the problem is that people don't relate to having a motorcycle.

Also you have to kind of know whats going on.. for instance when you see someone "back it in" all the motorcycle riders in the room will go whooooa .. but others don't know what they are looking at.

On the other side many people had or wanted some type of hot rod car as they were growing up and can relate to (the pictures of the cars on the common templates) also there is the satisfaction of seeing one driver bump another when they are too slow. kind of like performing road rage through the drivers they are watching.

I used to be a Nascar fan but as its getting more and more politically correct I'm fading fast.. (I still like Bristol)

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
So far your all right, put two competing american brands in the race and watch how it takes off here.
except in drag racing were every top team runs a Mopar engine

i really can't find the advertisement.. but it was back in the early-mid 90's.. It was a THANK YOU letter to John Force for winning yet another championship with a Chrysler engine. it makes me laugh really hard in Top Fuel.. were the bodies are almost all the exact same and they are running Hemi engines.. and when they win they would like to thank there sponsers.. Chevy, Ford, and now Toyota..

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:32 AM

Sportbike: 07 zx6r, 05 gsxr 1k, 06 Duc 749
Years Riding: 27 years
How you found us: ex member, just been gone for awhile...apex

Quote:
Originally posted by RevMatch1
Seems to me that all the action has to occur right before your eyes, like in a NASCAR oval or NHRA drag racing for example.

Spectators lose interest as soon as the action goes beyond what they can see.

I've been to a NASCAR race (even though I'm not a fan at all), and it was amazing! TV makes it boring.

That's my theory...
+1

I am what I am, and I do what I do!!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticky

Harley should have one at Daytona when Scott Russell was riding for them but he was screwed by his pit crew. Oh well, we'll never know if the engine would've lasted.

No Scotty has a crybaby attitude and when things dont go hiw way he usually blew up the motor. The couple times I was at RA when he was on teh HD team with Miguel, he came down between turns 6 and 8 bouncing it off the rev-limiter constantly while EVERYONE ELSE (including Miguel on teh other HD) was shifting up. And sure enough a lap or two later you'd hear on teh PA "Russell's bike expired in 12, 13, 1, 2, 3..... As you can tell, no I dont like the moron. I'd rather ride in a car with Robby Gordon (who I have had some bad history with in the past) than even aknowledge Ru$$ells existance. And not to mention how he damn near killed 2 other racers at the start of a Daytona 200 with a freaking dumbass move that you are taught NOT to do when you start racing.

Oh Tony, yes they raced all the races when they had bikes in AMA. Miguel got the best finish for HD with a 3rd. The VR1000 was a great bike, but HD really didnt want to let it progress over the years.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
than even aknowledge Ru$$ells existance.

sooooo, you're big Russell fan then

I agree about the start of that Daytona race that ended his career, but he was leading that 200 a couple years back on the HD and if his pit crew could've gotten his tire switched he really might have won that race.

So, I imagine that you're a big Yates fan as well.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:13 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

I don't know why sport fans as a whole don't get into road racing but they are missing out. The same goes for F1. The most elite form of 4 wheel racing in the world and no big group of American fans.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 03:00 PM

I've been a NASCAR fan all of my life (attended 3-4 races a year), but it is getting too PC now and my race budget is going elswhere for 2005. I plan to go to the MotoGP race, the USGP (F1) again and check out more local and NHRA events. I'll still keep up with NASCAR, but it's getting to be a bit much for me.

I'm at a loss to explain why road racing is not so popular here in the US, but if you go to those races there is a huge difference in the makeup of a NASCAR crowd and those who attend road racing events.

Now with a little more thoguht I think that one big reason that road racing isn't big here is that most American's really don't know how to "drive" and can't appreciate what road racing has to offer. Look at how driving is viewed in Europe vs. the US. Over here we want cupholders, DVD's, etc. all distractions from "driving."

Last edited by P Funk; 09-07-2004 at 03:14 PM.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 04:35 PM

nascar would be called 'vintage/historic racing' anywhere else!!
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

"The same goes for F1. The most elite form of 4 wheel racing in the world and no big group of American fans."

As someone who loves motorcycle racing for it's close racing, great technical basis, and varied personalities...I still don't enjoy watching F1. It's just so antiseptic!

Should it really take 18 guys to refuel and change four tires on a car? How about 5 guys so they have to actually show some hustle.

At the same time, the cars are so far removed from anything you'll be able to buy in the next 15 years that I simply have no connection. Heck I'd rather watch the Australian touring car championship (close racing, real cars, on a road course).

Just my 2 cents but I don't get F1.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGrouch
"The same goes for F1. The most elite form of 4 wheel racing in the world and no big group of American fans."

As someone who loves motorcycle racing for it's close racing, great technical basis, and varied personalities...I still don't enjoy watching F1. It's just so antiseptic!

Should it really take 18 guys to refuel and change four tires on a car? How about 5 guys so they have to actually show some hustle.

At the same time, the cars are so far removed from anything you'll be able to buy in the next 15 years that I simply have no connection. Heck I'd rather watch the Australian touring car championship (close racing, real cars, on a road course).

Just my 2 cents but I don't get F1.
Just like MotoGP, WSB or whatever you have to dig into it a little bit. There are only 2 F1 magazines but they are full are awesome info. Plus the formula1.com and f1live.com give so much insight and technical talk you can read forever.

5 guys?? Come on. Nascrap has more than that. With a yearly budget of $400 million for Ferrari why skimp. No need. No purpose.

The cars are the max of what technology can produce. $hit, the yearly budget that F1 has for all the teams is probably more than the government gives to NASA.

It comes down to digging into it. They are alot of rivalries and great challenges with getting into F1.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Its actually very simple.

Europeans, dont have football,basketball,baseball, golf and whatever else Fatass lazy Americans get cumfy watching on there over stuffed couches with cup holders and a fridge with in reaching distance.

Besides soccer, motorsports is there only other sport.

This is gonna hurt!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by HooliganZX6
Its actually very simple.

Europeans, dont have football,basketball,baseball, golf and whatever else Fatass lazy Americans get cumfy watching on there over stuffed couches with cup holders and a fridge with in reaching distance.

Besides soccer, motorsports is there only other sport.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I way back in the begining of this thread said pretty much the same thing just in a more condense version. Takes a KAWI man to know whats what!!!

by the way what do you think of my avatar?

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Interesting discussion.

I know a big reason why motorcycle racing in general isn't as popular here is that motorcycles aren't as popular. Bikes are huge in europe due to their cheap cost and good fuel economy (important when gas is $4/gal.) So more people can relate.

As for why NASCAR vs. say F1... who knows, but some good points have been brought up here. One thing I do find interesting about the US F1 round is that we've made ourselves look really bad to the rest of the world with it. I have an old family friend, born in Germany, huge F1 fan... he usually attends 4-5 rounds a year. The US round came, and he couldn't believe it. F1, everywhere else in the world, is very prestigious. They serve champaigne and caviar. F1 comes here, and it's no different than a NASCAR race, serving.... beer and brats. How classy

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I way back in the begining of this thread said pretty much the same thing just in a more condense version. Takes a KAWI man to know whats what!!!

by the way what do you think of my avatar?
Im thinkin I like it alot...........Im also thinkin its time for mine to turn GREEN!!!

This is gonna hurt!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

My theory is that it's because of the geography of our country.

NASCAR overcomes this because they are racing huge American brands with big corporate backing. Plus, cars are accessible to people in this country year-round-- in fact, the geography of our country makes them a necessity for so many people.

I am sure there are enough motorcycle crazy Americans to fill a stadium every weekend, but we are so spread out across the country, we can't just get up and drive to Florida to see that week's race, then head on over to Arizona, then to Cali, then back to Indy, etc.... The country's too big.

My other theory is that motorcycling is dammed sexy, and our big fat-assed McDonald's-loving citizens just don't appreciate sexy like Europeans do.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:07 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally posted by ill_ag
The country's too big.

My other theory is that motorcycling is dammed sexy, and our big fat-assed McDonald's-loving citizens just don't appreciate sexy like Europeans do.
Yep, part of it is geography, when I was living in Europe, I could drive the entire length of Italy in 4 hours! England was about 6 hours, so seeing a race wasn't a big deal.

And the attitude is so different also, NASCAR, overweight, mouth breathing morons, stuffing their fat faces with beer and brats, with hairstyles that went out of style in the 70's, compared to people who, KNOW about racing, dress to go to the races, and although I never say the champaigne and cavier, the food was definetely worthy of a 4 star resturant, and the women didn't dress like Saturday night hookers either

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode