ohlins vs. OEM - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Cool ohlins vs. OEM

How much better could it be?Ive got a gix 600 filled with race tech and Penske and my stock 01 gix750 feels just as good if not better.I m just wondering if I am missing out on something better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 02:16 AM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

You gotta have the right set up and geometry. and it makes a huge difference! Plus you'll save the money you spend on a shock just in tires!
I just set up a 2002 750 for a buddy w/ an ohlins and thermosman forks...the bike was on a rail! I set it up similer to Robert Jensen's bike 750.
He couldn't believe the difference!

But all and all you have to have the right set up without that it really doesn't matter what parts you put on. You could put on the same dunlops that rodger hayden runs but without the correct geometry and set up it's gonna be a waste! YOu'll think your 208ZR work better....ya know??
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzilla
How much better could it be?Ive got a gix 600 filled with race tech and Penske and my stock 01 gix750 feels just as good if not better.I m just wondering if I am missing out on something better.
Yes, you could have bought a Honda.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

I rode a 954 at Jennings,loved it On the 750 I did the usual stuff with sag,ride height.Took comp,rebound to extremes.Due to the lack of track time I couldnt decide if it was me or the bike.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Oh, you know I was just teasing. The 750 Rocks on the track! I thought the 750 Gizzer's stock rear shock was supposed to be pretty good. You may not see a lot of difference unless you are really pushing and heating it up. If I read your original post right the 750's suspension is bone stock? If so, I'd do the rear last. Springs and valves on the front will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Oh, I have RT 100 springs and gold valves up front too. I wish I would have gone with Hyperpro progressive springs with the RT gold valves unless the 750 is 100% track and even then I'd consider the Hyperpro springs. They make a really good rear shock too. It's also less $ than Ohlins.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner
Oh, you know I was just teasing. The 750 Rocks on the track! I thought the 750 Gizzer's stock rear shock was supposed to be pretty good. You may not see a lot of difference unless you are really pushing and heating it up. If I read your original post right the 750's suspension is bone stock? If so, I'd do the rear last. Springs and valves on the front will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Oh, I have RT 100 springs and gold valves up front too. I wish I would have gone with Hyperpro progressive springs with the RT gold valves unless the 750 is 100% track and even then I'd consider the Hyperpro springs. They make a really good rear shock too. It's also less $ than Ohlins.
I'm sure the hyperpro spring will be to soft!
I think the raising rate spring (ex hyperpro) is a great concept but it's hard to dialed in...
Btw, hyperpro springs seem to work ok for street bikes....I just haven't had much luck with them on track.
But susp it's hard to do it in steps...a lot of times (depending on how hard or fast you ride) you'll go thru rear tires with the stock setup. A rear shock will help that...well it'll allow you to adjust out any issues.
Up front...you gotta have someone who knows what they are doing to do the valve and the spring...if that's messed up the bike will do all kinds of weird stuff...
But again like i said...you have to get your geometry and base line stuff in the ballpark...
I guess you can get a totally stock bike to work okay if you get the geometry right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner
I thought the 750 Gizzer's stock rear shock was supposed to be pretty good.
almost all stocks are JUNK! In fact I don't really know of one that works good for the track.

Rob, why would you adjust the rebound and the comp all the way in??...that's part of the reason it handles like shit.

Btw the only reason I like the ohlins is cuz of the preload adjuster...I had Thermosman revalve my ohlins...
But ohlins or penske whatever one you want they both work good.

Last edited by dano5150; 10-29-2004 at 02:38 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Didnt take rebound and compression all the way.But sometimes when I try things I go a few clicks more in one direction or another to show what direction the changes are going.If I have time I set it back to baseline then run it again.I keep good notes,something I learned in my stock car days.One or two clicks or a mil of rideheight is too small of a change for me to feel.But if my girlfriend was a cup size bigger I would notice that .Things I noted at Gingerman,T2,T3 it was real herd to get the bike rotated in another direction at the apex.Between 7/8 same thing.Had to ride around that dip in T11.If I hit the diptook longer to find the gas (thats also where you passed me Dano )
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:31 PM

Sportbike: R6, FE570, TZ250, CFR450
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to racingxtc7 Send a message via Yahoo to racingxtc7
Pick up a copy of "Suspension of Mortals" by Traxxion Dynamics. Dude, you'll learn alot. Cranking on rebound and compession will only reduce traction because the suspenion is NOT doing what its suppose to. You might as well be riding a rigid!!

CCS/USGPRU#976
<----Jeff
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Things I noted at Gingerman,T2,T3 it was real herd to get the bike rotated in another direction at the apex.Between 7/8 same thing.Had to ride around that dip in T11.If I hit the diptook longer to find the gas (thats also where you passed me Dano )
I'd have to see where stuff is set on your bike. (example how much fork is showing and your shock length)
But it sounds like you may have to add low speed compression to the rear...
Next time we're both at the track Rob stop by my pits I'll help you out!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingxtc7
Pick up a copy of "Suspension of Mortals" by Traxxion Dynamics. Dude, you'll learn alot. Cranking on rebound and compession will only reduce traction because the suspenion is NOT doing what its suppose to. You might as well be riding a rigid!!
I have the book.I dont have it set rigid. I know what thats like.Not so good.I was trying to say was.I cant notice small changes so i exagerate them to see what directoin theygo.Hard to explane .Forks have 6mm showing and the shock have 11mm shimsunder that. 200 pound with gear. I have to check notes on sag.Forks did not bottom I will probably take the Penske off the six and put it on the 750.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 07:38 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Has the fork oil been changed? Oil fork oil is like water and any adjustments you do go un-noticed. I changed my fork oil after Barber and now the adjustments I make I can feel to a degree.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMAIL
Has the fork oil been changed? Oil fork oil is like water and any adjustments you do go un-noticed. I changed my fork oil after Barber and now the adjustments I make I can feel to a degree.
Bike has only 5k on it.Never been touched.I will probably order that oil level tool from Race Tech this week. Hey, is that Jeffs old Tesi?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 09:33 AM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Have you ever rode a bike setup correctly with Ohlins? Your 01 Gix 750 has good suspension, but it's not even close to an Ohlins set up. If you put Ohlins suspension on your 01 750, and had it set up right, it would transform the bike more than you can imagine. I had an 01 Mille that was set up pretty good. It had good stock Showa forks and an OK Sachs shock, but it worked for me. Now I have the Factory with all the Ohlins stuff, and it is a night and day difference, and it's at stock settings! I could easily feel the difference and I'm a novice.

Ohlins suspension is probably the best suspension you can buy. However, you can buy Ohlins internals for almost any fork that would make them close to an Ohlins fork, for a lot less money. I also have heard a lot of good things about certain Penske shocks. Some of the higher end ones are just as good as an Ohlins, and one of them even offers more adjustability than an Ohlins.

Like Dano said, it really doesn't matter what type of suspension you use, if it isn't set up properly. Suspension set up is all rider feel. That's why there is so much adjustability on the componenets. Everybody rides and likes something different.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."

Last edited by ChicagoFactory; 10-30-2004 at 09:35 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Bike has only 5k on it.Never been touched.I will probably order that oil level tool from Race Tech this week. Hey, is that Jeffs old Tesi?
Yes, that was Jeff's Tesi. You know him to, then you've seen his yellow Ultima?

The front oil may be broken down. It's just like car oil it needs to be changed. It's just a thought.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 10:38 AM

My GSXR 750 has an Ohlins rear shock on it, but I brought the bike that way. I just know it has more adjustments then I care to know.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMAIL
Yes, that was Jeff's Tesi. You know him to, then you've seen his yellow Ultima?

The front oil may be broken down. It's just like car oil it needs to be changed. It's just a thought.
I like his Ultima too.I havent seen him on the track with a bike in years
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory
Have you ever rode a bike setup correctly with Ohlins? Your 01 Gix 750 has good suspension, but it's not even close to an Ohlins set up. If you put Ohlins suspension on your 01 750, and had it set up right, it would transform the bike more than you can imagine. I had an 01 Mille that was set up pretty good. It had good stock Showa forks and an OK Sachs shock, but it worked for me. Now I have the Factory with all the Ohlins stuff, and it is a night and day difference, and it's at stock settings! I could easily feel the difference and I'm a novice.

Ohlins suspension is probably the best suspension you can buy. However, you can buy Ohlins internals for almost any fork that would make them close to an Ohlins fork, for a lot less money. I also have heard a lot of good things about certain Penske shocks. Some of the higher end ones are just as good as an Ohlins, and one of them even offers more adjustability than an Ohlins.

Like Dano said, it really doesn't matter what type of suspension you use, if it isn't set up properly. Suspension set up is all rider feel. That's why there is so much adjustability on the componenets. Everybody rides and likes something different.
Ive seen and passed allot of bikes with shredded tires with Ohlins then every once in a while someone tells me what I have could be better.I think Im off topic a little. I had an ohlins guy (Rep) play with my 600.It was a little better.

Last edited by Robzilla; 10-31-2004 at 09:28 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ive seen and passed allot of bikes with shredded tires with Ohlins then every once in a while someone tells me what I have could be better.I think Im off topic a little.
aTER A FEW BEERS AND CAREFULL THINKING MAYBE THE SUSPENSION IS JUST FINE.COULD IT BE THE RIDER??? HMMMMMM.............................NAAAAAAAAA iF i AM SITTING HERE ITS BECAUSE THE PARTY ACCROSS THE STREET IS WAY DEAD.tHE BEST CONVERSATION I HAD TURNED OUT TO BE AN UNDER AGE HOLLOWEEN DECORATION
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I like his Ultima too.I havent seen him on the track with a bike in years
That is correct, he hasn't even rider a DB9 he has. That the only bike he's got and working on a YZF project bike for some time.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode