Help SV Racers! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Bop your way home...
 
Dr. D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: on the move in Texas
Posts: 5,622
Location: on the move in Texas
Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"
           
Help SV Racers!

What gearing do SVs run at Road America?

Right now I have 14-47 gearing, too short IMO.

I'm thinking of picking up a 15, 16 and 44, does that sound good for variety?

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Dr. D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 09:18 AM
G2G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You can go two different ways. 2 up in the rear or you can go 1 dwon in the front. Try the one down in the front it will give you better drive out of the crners and get you up tp speed a little more quickly. I haven't run there since last summer but that is a good start. Let me know if you have any more questions.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Bop your way home...
 
Dr. D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: on the move in Texas
Posts: 5,622
Location: on the move in Texas
Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go
You can go two different ways. 2 up in the rear or you can go 1 dwon in the front. Try the one down in the front it will give you better drive out of the crners and get you up tp speed a little more quickly.
OK, I assume you mean 1 down in front or two up in back with a stock set-up. Not in addition to my current gearing.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Dr. D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:13 AM
G2G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Correct.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
15/45 should be OK for RA.

With how long the straights are at RA you are going to get frustrated on the SV not matter what.

You have the rite idea though. Bring plenty of sprockets with you. Gear Tall!

Careful at the races in April, the track was freezing cold last year, if it is anything like it was like last year don't count on your tires ever getting warm. Watch out for that sealer shit in the corners to, it's slicker than snot...

I'll see you out there, I'll be there to run a race or 2 and smell the race gas!

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Wannabe racer
 
lovebothkats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sticks!
Posts: 2,360
Location: Sticks!
Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
15/45 should be OK for RA.

With how long the straights are at RA you are going to get frustrated on the SV not matter what.

You have the rite idea though. Bring plenty of sprockets with you. Gear Tall!

Careful at the races in April, the track was freezing cold last year, if it is anything like it was like last year don't count on your tires ever getting warm. Watch out for that sealer shit in the corners to, it's slicker than snot...

I'll see you out there, I'll be there to run a race or 2 and smell the race gas!
I wasn't there last year, but this is good advice don't bother trying to break lap records in the cold it will only cost you far more than it's worth. I'm taping a reminder over my speedo just a big "It's COLD"
lovebothkats is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Registered User
 
Kneeinpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 813
Location: Arlington Heights
Sportbike: '14 BMW S1000R, '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA
Years Riding: Long time...
How you found us: VTR 996 - in '02
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebothkats
I wasn't there last year, but this is good advice don't bother trying to break lap records in the cold it will only cost you far more than it's worth. I'm taping a reminder over my speedo just a big "It's COLD"

Dave,

I just pm'ed Grover to see what happened to you. Hadn't seen a post from you in a long time. I was afraid I'd have to start splitting electric power with someone new...

Tom / '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA / 1969 Honda Mini-Trail / '14 BMW S1000R
Kneeinpain is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Wannabe racer
 
lovebothkats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sticks!
Posts: 2,360
Location: Sticks!
Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneeinpain
Dave,

I just pm'ed Grover to see what happened to you. Hadn't seen a post from you in a long time. I was afraid I'd have to start splitting electric power with someone new...
So did he tell you about the basement project? That's pretty much been my winter project.

No worries I'll be there and you just roll that pimp caddy up next to us and bring an extension cord.
lovebothkats is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:05 AM
BEER!
 
Grover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 5,970
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN
           
Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebothkats
So did he tell you about the basement project? That's pretty much been my winter project.

No worries I'll be there and you just roll that pimp caddy up next to us and bring an extension cord.

I told him Karen had you locked up in the basement. Most people buy the pimpin' leather couch and projection TV AFTER finishing the basement.

How's that coming along anyways? Damn, I still need to get back to you about the fairing stay.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Grover is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Wannabe racer
 
lovebothkats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sticks!
Posts: 2,360
Location: Sticks!
Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
I told him Karen had you locked up in the basement. Most people buy the pimpin' leather couch and projection TV AFTER finishing the basement.

How's that coming along anyways? Damn, I still need to get back to you about the fairing stay.

-Chris
Why would I bother to do things in order?

Yes you do still need to get back to me on that, not too worried though until I get the "A" bike done, I don't really care about the "B" bike. I need to get motivated to get both of them done, but this cold weather isn't helping at all.
lovebothkats is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered User
 
Kneeinpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 813
Location: Arlington Heights
Sportbike: '14 BMW S1000R, '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA
Years Riding: Long time...
How you found us: VTR 996 - in '02
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
I told him Karen had you locked up in the basement. Most people buy the pimpin' leather couch and projection TV AFTER finishing the basement.

How's that coming along anyways? Damn, I still need to get back to you about the fairing stay.

-Chris

Dave, you've got a pimp couch and projection tv?? You've got to bring those to the track in the RV. How cool would that be?

If you do, I promise the bring the Colt 45.

Tom / '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA / 1969 Honda Mini-Trail / '14 BMW S1000R
Kneeinpain is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome